CLUTCH CABLE

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just joined the broken clutch cable club. I had no idea this was a common problem - until it happened to me. It broke last week on the way to work leaving me stranded. 12,000+ miles.
Well at least they're cheap! ;-) Will a Motion Pro for $50 last as long as 3 $16 OEM (on-line) cables? Buy three, lube every 5K miles or so and change at 10K miles. 12K is pretty low, but 15-20K miles is about "normal" for most clutch cables. 

...where exactly did the cable break, may I ask? I recall the near 90deg bend at the clutch lever was thought to be the issue, and I did move my levers downward a bit to ease the tension, but who knows if that will help.
iKMXSz6.jpg 

I have just under 10K km on my 2015 FJ-09 that I bought in April 2016.  The clutch cable gets lubricated on a weekly basis, but I am going to order a spare over the winter.  Should have read the entire thread as it touched on tips for installing the cable.  Looks like a fairly straight forward process.  Thanks for the great info!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...
I just joined the club last night... bloody annoying, my old tenere had over 100k k's on its original cbale and still feels nice. Never lubed either. This one has snapped at 20k k's. Pretty average. I'll be making my own with a nicer bend and routing and repairing the original for a spare.

I just replaced the cable on my FJ at 12,000 miles after feeling the binding in the clutch lever.    The person earlier who recommended pulling the new cable with the old cable was right on.  zip tie new to old and route it through.    
I did take the left side plastic off and took my time routing the cable.      This makes me feel much better, even after my Cleveland Indians lost last night.

Steve94

• Premium Member
This makes me feel much better, even after my Cleveland Indians lost last night. Steve94
Sorry about that.  My Cubs won but the Tribe sure gave them a run for their money.  We suffered for 108 years as everyone knows, and even longer than Cleveland just getting back to the Series.  Back and forth like 2 heavy-weight boxers.  Maddon made several poor changes that almost cost us the pennant.  It was very hard to watch.  I had stop watching and went on the forum for the last 2 innings. 
BTW, I'm going for the R1 cable I think.

Ordered the motion pro plus 1.5 inches, no bend. 

Does this cable operate more smoothly?  
I'm asking because the pull is a little stiff on my bike and noticed the sharp bend and was left wondering if the bend causes the stiff cable.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

• Premium Member
I am experiencing rapid clutch cable stretch over the last 2 days. I have used up all the adjustment at the clutch lever and about 1/4 at the clutch. It is fine for a while then the clutch will not work. Is this a sign of an eminent failure? I have an oem cable on order.

• Premium Member
The R1 clutch cable is very good.
Yep, the R1 clutch cable does work well but requires you to move the clutch actuator arm one notch clockwise to compensate for the longer length. The problem isn't that the R1 cable is a bit longer overall, but that the EXPOSED cable beyond the adjuster nut is a little longer. I wasn't able to take up that extra length enough using the adjusters. Had to move the clutch actuator arm one notch. 

Very happy with the result and now confident that I won't be possibly stranded by a broken clutch cable. BTW - my OEM lasted 12,000 miles and did not break. I simply chose to replace it.

IMG_1268.jpgIMG_1269.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Ordered the motion pro plus 1.5 inches, no bend. 

Does this cable operate more smoothly?  
I'm asking because the pull is a little stiff on my bike and noticed the sharp bend and was left wondering if the bend causes the stiff cable.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,
The longer cable is step one in allowing you to add risers or new handlebars. I used the extended clutch, throttle cables and the brake lines as well so I could now put ape hangers on the bike if'n I felt like it :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I am experiencing rapid clutch cable stretch over the last 2 days. I have used up all the adjustment at the clutch lever and about 1/4 at the clutch. It is fine for a while then the clutch will not work. Is this a sign of an eminent failure? I have an oem cable on order.
Yes, that's the way mine went.  

• Premium Member
Thanks for the conformation. I have the bike parked till I can replace the cable. After 2 days of not riding going through withdrawals. Guess I will drive the truck for a couple more days. I hate pushing bike or calling for a tow.

• Premium Member
The R1 clutch cable is very good.
Yep, the R1 clutch cable does work well but requires you to move the clutch actuator arm one notch clockwise to compensate for the longer length. The problem isn't that the R1 cable is a bit longer overall, but that the EXPOSED cable beyond the adjuster nut is a little longer. I wasn't able to take up that extra length enough using the adjusters. Had to move the clutch actuator arm one notch.  
Very happy with the result and now confident that I won't be possibly stranded by a broken clutch cable. BTW - my OEM lasted 12,000 miles and did not break. I simply chose to replace it.

IMG_1268.jpgIMG_1269.jpg

I've added one bit of cable management for the R1 cable. Seems perfect. 

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I was experiencing a rough feeling cable pull and a squeak or creaking when pulling the clutch lever in. I tracked it down to the return spring on the actuator arm on the clutch cover. I put some spray lube under the spring coils and now the noise is gone and the clutch action is much lighter and smoother. Maybe a light grease instead next time I feel it's dragging again.

Archived