What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

...Found a perfect tail bag that fits the rear seat on the FJ09 almost perfectly...  IMG_2681_zpsqsuhsrhc.jpg

I like that OGIO tail bag.  I went with a bigger option and got the Nelson Rigg CL-1040-TP.  Its 29L expandable to 39L and fits the back seat pretty well.  It can even hold a full face helmet when expanded.  You can find some decent deals on Amazon for it if anyone is interested... http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1040-TP-Black-Jumbo-Expandable/dp/B00AC6Y9S6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
http://i.imgur.com/DByzxuI.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I like that OGIO tail bag.  I went with a bigger option and got the Nelson Rigg CL-1040-TP.  Its 29L expandable to 39L and fits the back seat pretty well.  It can even hold a full face helmet when expanded.  You can find some decent deals on Amazon for it if anyone is interested... http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1040-TP-Black-Jumbo-Expandable/dp/B00AC6Y9S6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
http://i.imgur.com/DByzxuI.jpg

I've got the same bag. I used it on my FZ though, not the FJ. It's a great bag. I actually have done 3 day trips with it no problem.

Crazy though....I bought the bag when it was only $86.

I've got the same bag. I used it on my FZ though, not the FJ. It's a great bag. I actually have done 3 day trips with it no problem. 

Crazy though....I bought the bag when it was only $86.
I found mine "used" on Amazon for like $75.. looked brand new when I got it and had the original tags still attached.. 

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The Yamaha hard panniers arrived today – [em]late![/em] – and were fitted by the dealer.

Arriving home I put some [strong]reflective tape[/strong] onto the lids in the recesses for such stuff, and on the back surface of the panniers.

I very rarely – and never by choice – ride at night or at dawn as we have very large grass-hoppers abounding here and they are best avoided, but these reflective strips should make me very easily seen if riding at night.

These panniers are very useful, quite well-made, though a bit fiddly to secure without some ‘jiggling’ – I’m going to have to smooth the plastic locking-tabs as they seem to want to catch on the edge of the insert recesses. At 20L each they are quite large enough for my travels, and will be supplemented by the matching 28L top-box if needed.

More stuff arrives daily – the list of outstanding parts is getting smaller, and I should have the first 1000km service done within ten or so days.

[em]Wordsmith – ’39 model – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

http://i.imgur.com/2DVpRi7.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/k3KjQ5J.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Get a new Red 2015 FJ-09 tomorrow.  Planned additions/mods, mostly from my '09 Versys, are :

- CRG Bar-end mirrors, perhaps remove hand guards and replace with KTM guards.
- Steibel horn.
- Givi Monokey racks ( on order ), Givi 46L cases.
- Connector for Battery-minder / heated jacket.
- Heated grips ( also on order, Yamaha ).
- Will wait on the seat, folks said the Versys seat was bad but I had no issues.  Hope it is also true for this bike.
- Front Fender extender, will glue/tape on ( no holes here ).  Used same strategy on the Versys and it held for 7 years...why change a good thing and I can't stand drilling holes in a new bike :)
- I also have a Powerblock that I might use, need to see space under seat, as well as some accessory lights.

Looking forward to this bike, it's been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks while the snow/rain/sleet persisted. 

Get a new Red 2015 FJ-09 tomorrow.  Planned additions/mods, mostly from my '09 Versys, are :  
- CRG Bar-end mirrors, perhaps remove hand guards and replace with KTM guards.
- Steibel horn.
- Givi Monokey racks ( on order ), Givi 46L cases.
- Connector for Battery-minder / heated jacket.
- Heated grips ( also on order, Yamaha ).
- Will wait on the seat, folks said the Versys seat was bad but I had no issues.  Hope it is also true for this bike.
- Front Fender extender, will glue/tape on ( no holes here ).  Used same strategy on the Versys and it held for 7 years...why change a good thing and I can't stand drilling holes in a new bike :)
- I also have a Powerblock that I might use, need to see space under seat, as well as some accessory lights.

Looking forward to this bike, it's been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks while the snow/rain/sleet persisted. 

Congrats on the purchase! You will not be disappointed. I went from a 2008 Versys to my FJ-09.  I loved my Versys, but as much as I loved my Versys, I love the FJ more.  Its all around a better, smoother, more powerful bike.... except the seat!! The Versys seat was like sitting on a couch compared to the FJ.  I hope that you find the seat on the FJ to be more accommodating than I have.  Currently trying to decide which seat option im going to go with. 

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Fit a DNA air filter and balanced the throttle bodies at 10k km's and I was hoping for a little more induction noise but oh well.. feels great and the butt dyno says it feels better in the midrange, will be interesting to see if the fuel economy goes up. It was only marginally out but feels much smoother now.

The goodies arrive by every mail – and my wife wonders where the next meal is coming from!

I’m a great believer that the more clearly you can be seen and heard, the greater the chances of survival. Hence my fitting a more purposeful horn, and now this rear Skene LED kit. A pair of front conspicuity Cree LEDs will shortly follow as soon as I receive the wiring kit and mounting bracket from AdventureTech.

The [strong]SKENE DESIGN P3[/strong] rear-light LED kit hugely improves both the rear running and brake lights. I’ve fitted Skene P3’s to two bikes before – one my previous Tracer, one my last BMW - and having ridden behind mates’ bikes so fitted can say that the [em]‘brighter than a thousand suns’[/em] output is just retina-searing!

The tiny kit can be held in the palm of one hand, and comprises two LED strips and wires; Posi-Tap connectors (brilliant little things); thin zip-ties and adhesive-backed Velcro squares; the small controller box (I guess it’s a tiny computer); screws with lock-nuts; plus a pair of brackets that would suit many installations, usually around the rear lights and/ or number plate.

All wires can be completely concealed from the outside. I chose to mount my LEDs using the kit brackets immediately below the rear light so the larger cluster of lights would complement each other and increase visibility to following vehicles – [em]hopefully![/em] I’m not entirely happy with the use of the brackets as the LEDs are a bit uneven, so I’ll re-do this installation a little later with a better one-piece bracket when all other farkles have been finished.

A small but important point in the instructions is that the LED strips must be mounted so as to be perfectly vertical and pointing squarely to the rear when the rider is on the bike, to ensure that [em]“maximum brightness is directed immediately behind you”.
[/em]
The controller can programme the LEDs to display a number of variations (about ten in all) of pulsing, flashing, steady-on state, whatever. This is very easily achieved by a system of simple ‘taps’ of the brake lever after installation, each activating a specific command [em](full instructions come with the kit – it’s child-simple, otherwise I couldn’t have done it!)
[/em]
My chosen default rear braking sequence flashes the LEDs rapidly a few times, then the full-on power of the red LEDs is unleashed until the brake is released.

Installation was fiddly and took more time than it should have, but not too difficult. As a refresher I found the notes on the [em]Tech Tips/ How to Forum[/em] on Skene installation posted on April 15th 2015 by mjsracing to be invaluable. Thanks again, mjs! There are pix galore plus a brief video in that Thread.

Distributor in Oz is www.d2daccessories.com (Martin), 0431 101 589.   Not cheap, but highly recommended.

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model)- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

2015 Matte Grey MT-09 Tracer – now at 346km.

Stebel Magnum horn; 2” blind-spot auxiliary mirrors; Third Gear mini top-box; Yamaha hard panniers; Skene Design P3 rear LED lights; more coming.

[/em]http://i.imgur.com/JIFN6xa.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/OSsGUuH.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
The goodies arrive by every mail – and my wife wonders where the next meal is coming from! 
I’m a great believer that the more clearly you can be seen and heard, the greater the chances of survival. Hence my fitting a more purposeful horn, and now this rear Skene LED kit. A pair of front conspicuity Cree LEDs will shortly follow as soon as I receive the wiring kit and mounting bracket from AdventureTech.

The [strong]SKENE DESIGN P3[/strong] rear-light LED kit hugely improves both the rear running and brake lights. I’ve fitted Skene P3’s to two bikes before – one my previous Tracer, one my last BMW - and having ridden behind mates’ bikes so fitted can say that the [em]‘brighter than a thousand suns’[/em] output is just retina-searing!
http://i.imgur.com/OSsGUuH.jpg

Nicely done! I too was concerned with the lack of LEDs lit on the OEM tail light assembly and chose to replace it with a MotoDynamic unit that provides a fully lit array at all times. Fully programmable, I've got mine flashing quickly 3 times before going to full brightness. It also has a sequential turn signal function that I chose to not use, as my LED replacement turn signals provide greater conspicuity. MotoDynamic Tail Light
y-14fz09-c-0.jpgy-14fz09-c_1.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

For me the preference for the KTM handguards is not just about the looks, but I like that they are several inches narrower than the stockers and provide much better wind protection and no interference with windscreens.  They are the same ones that came on my KTM 690 Enduro originally, although on that bike I replaced them with Cycra ProBends for better crash protection.  More likely to dump that bike than this one.
Just rode the bike from the dealer @ 35 degrees and the stock handguards just suck.  Wearing my normal cold-weather gloves and my fingertips were frozen, never had a problem with the KTMs.   I have KTM guards from the Versys and I can mount those.  I laid them out on the handlebars for kicks and it looks tricky around the front brake fluid reservoir.  Pictures of placement would be a great help.

• Premium Member
Removed rear brake/tail lights and installed motodynamic sequential LED unit.  Started to keep bug eyed stock ones on the tail tiddy, but did not like the combined looks of the two different aproaches.  Also removed stock front signals and running lights and installed flush mount LED running/turning lights.  Plugged and played both, though the rear unit requires minor "programming" by pushing button.  Now trying to get mounted Midland 75-822 cb with external antenna! (cb is an easy handlebar mount, but haven't figured out where to put antenna with trunk on).

• Premium Member
  Now trying to get mounted Midland 75-822 cb with external antenna! 

Say What??? ??? 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA