What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
fj09chris this kit looks like the one I installed. The hardest part was using a pocket knife to cut the plastic tab with the screw hole off the cruise control unit. But, I read the instructions nine times to memorize as best as possible all of the connections.

Once installed you will really enjoy this cruise control.

Your kidding right?!?! Come on... I'd love to find any tire manufacturer that recommends this! Now admittedly I've only been riding for 50 years but this sound like bs to me.
Help me understand what you're objecting to. 30/30 pressures for street use? On a 450lb bike? In 20F to 40F temperatures? I think I know a little about tires - 250K miles on 7 different bikes, and upteen tires...

250k miles is a lot to me, but those are just break-in miles to Brick... he's somewhere around 800k now; he'll hit the big 1 MILLION mile mark in another few years. :)
Keep Asheville weird!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Tragedy in the making? Hp7vV1B5qAqiZFyYsQht.jpg
Removed front forks to swap out the oil for 3W in place of the stock 5W... as inspired by @bruceintucson in this post, and this
. This could well be the first step in a round-about journey toward a new suspension, but hopefully I can make this work and learn from it. @bruceintucson and @clint both conspired to make me do this, while @pattonme assisted with expertise and cautious optimism... so here I go. I brought the forks in the house to get the oil nice and warm before I drain it. I am traveling to Guyana on business next week, so the work needs to wait....followed by more waiting to actually test things out in the spring.
Needs to wait!?!? You're pretty much done!  :)  Seriously, you're only about 1 hour of work before it's done. Super simple mod. Where do you live? I'M COMIN' OVER!  :D
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Installed a Fenda Extenda Hugger Extension.  It's a little pricey for what it is, although still cheaper than most alternatives.  It extends the hugger another 4.5 inches, so should provide better protection now from road grime on my shock and such.

Tried using the provided glue with 6 clamps and waited the recommended 24 hours to cure, but apparently the glue beads were too thick and the bond failed before I went for a ride.

Ended up using 2-sided carpet tape to hold it together while I drilled 4 holes and used Nylon push rivets pilfered from a BMW (car) fastener kit.  Not likely to fall off now.

Although the color is a little off from the hugger (varies depending on viewing angle/lighting), I'm probably not going to repaint them to match exactly.

4913250.jpg

4913251.jpg

4913252.jpg

4913253.jpg

• Premium Member
Installed a Fenda Extenda Hugger Extension.  It's a little pricey for what it is, although still cheaper than most alternatives.  It extends the hugger another 4.5 inches, so should provide better protection now from road grime on my shock and such. 
Tried using the provided glue with 6 clamps and waited the recommended 24 hours to cure, but apparently the glue beads were too thick and the bond failed before I went for a ride.

Ended up using 2-sided carpet tape to hold it together while I drilled 4 holes and used Nylon push rivets pilfered from a BMW (car) fastener kit.  Not likely to fall off now.

Although the color is a little off from the hugger (varies depending on viewing angle/lighting), I'm probably not going to repaint them to match exactly.

Other than the slight mismatch in color, it looks great (and factory to boot!). 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

IMG_3286.jpg
added the adventuretech light mounting bracket as replacement for a broken crash bar mount. Aligning the light beam has never been so easy. Alignment was difficult with the angle of the hepco&becker bars.

IMG_3291.jpg
finally got around to installing woodcraft stator cover. I love Woodcraft build quality.

Did another wet tire test on the PR4's with a ride in light rain. The day cleared up so I kept riding. Got back and lubed the chain & cables and put Sta-Bil in the tank, just in case the weather gets lousy.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I cleaned my bike, and put it away for the winter. I haven't been able to ride in a few weeks, and we had 12-15 inches of slow last weekend. I've given up hope for a few months

• Premium Member
Did another wet tire test on the PR4's with a ride in light rain. The day cleared up so I kept riding. Got back and lubed the chain & cables and put Sta-Bil in the tank, just in case the weather gets lousy.
You might try Star Tron also. Good stuff! https://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment/dp/B00D3IEIFO/ref=pd_sim_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00D3IEIFO&pd_rd_r=7MDZHR4ZH96DMYX4YWWG&pd_rd_w=TlkZc&pd_rd_wg=pV4n3&psc=1&refRID=7MDZHR4ZH96DMYX4YWWG 

• Premium Member
Taking the forks off and going to drop them off at Cogent Dynamics http://www.motocd.com/ for some upgrades. ? 8871adbc89a7aa66c0fc6b9703fbcd98.jpg
After all the bikes I've owned I still didn't have the correct allen head, 14mm, to take the front wheel off. So I ended up getting these. http://m.harborfreight.com/8-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-hex-socket-set-67895.html
Rick wants to dyno them and see exactly what's in them and has a number of options. I love the shock they made. We installed a month or so ago and it made giant changes in handling. The hope is the fork work will polish the handling!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Which part of the bike is resting on the horizontal pole brick? Looks like a good way to suspend the front end.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)