What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Inspired by @kiwicanuck  at https://fj-09.org/post/38400/thread , I fitted an Ogio tail bag.
There was a recent review in webbikeworld.com, they are discontinued, and I had to hunt around for one,
but it was marked down a lot.

This one is branded Dainese D-tail bag  but is made by Ogio and called "tail duffle stealth".
A good fit, I used a carabiner instead of keyrings on the seat base.

P_20170804_164331.jpg

Rats, hoped the pic would show up inline. I don't seem to be able to attach pics directly.
Pic looks fine to me!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I installed my sheepskin buttpad from Alaska Leather. Charcoal grey, sheared. I am very happy to have this on my seat now and looking forward to putting a few hundred miles on it this weekend to see how much of an improvement this will be. 

seat.jpg

Any noticeable improvement in comfort? 
I've purposely not responded to this until I had a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles on it to reply.

I can honestly say the difference is rather big in my opinion. After ~250 miles of commuting daily I will say the seat is MUCH more comfortable than before. It took me a couple days to get used to it. Added height and a different feel for sure, I find I can actually move around on the seat easier now, and the pad (surprisingly, I might add) stays right in place when I do this. I was worried it may move about, but the strap actually holds it quite well.

It's cooler in the summer heat, too. Seems counter to what you'd expect, but the wool traps air, which helps keep your butt cooler. Needless to say it's far more cushy on top of the stock seat, and although I have not run over 100 miles in one stint yet, my butt tells me this will be very good on long days with 300+ miles in the saddle. 

Highly recommended. 
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Any noticeable improvement in comfort? 
I've purposely not responded to this until I had a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles on it to reply. 
I can honestly say the difference is rather big in my opinion. After ~250 miles of commuting daily I will say the seat is MUCH more comfortable than before. It took me a couple days to get used to it. Added height and a different feel for sure, I find I can actually move around on the seat easier now, and the pad (surprisingly, I might add) stays right in place when I do this. I was worried it may move about, but the strap actually holds it quite well.

It's cooler in the summer heat, too. Seems counter to what you'd expect, but the wool traps air, which helps keep your butt cooler. Needless to say it's far more cushy on top of the stock seat, and although I have not run over 100 miles in one stint yet, my butt tells me this will be very good on long days with 300+ miles in the saddle. 

Highly recommended. 

Now I have to ask which model/shape you purchased? looks to form to the seat nicely. 

I know - there has been a lot of chat about this not too long ago when I put a query here about options 8-| .   But some are reputed to be useless, and/ or not available here in Oz, and/or very exxie. 
And anyway I like my behemoth!
they are cheap, like $30-50 american. I have used two diff brands and wont travel without one.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member

Highly recommended. 
Now I have to ask which model/shape you purchased? looks to form to the seat nicely. 
I used their sizing chart and purchased Pillion 1. 
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

For giggles and to calm the curiosity bug in me... had an idea on the way home from work this morning wondering if I can use the " Auto tune " module add-on from my FZ-07 PVC which is what converts the wideband o2 sensor info into AFR to see what AFR numbers I'm getting...

Quick test first by parking the bikes really close to allow me to quickly just insert the wideband into the FJ-09 without pulling the whole thing outta the FZ-07... so I put the wideband on the FJ-09, isolated the Autotune box from the FZ-07 PVC, I got the PVC POD300 display which shows real time data of many things aND doubles as the FZ-07 shift light... then I just turned the power on on the FZ-07, then fired up the FJ-09, waited 10 secs and voila AFR numbers showed up ?... then spent the next 3hrs pulling the AFR system outta the FZ-07 and putting it on the FJ-09...

The Autotune module from PVC can be used as a stand alone AFR gauge w/ the POD300 display, I did not know that till now... it's universal it seems! 20170805_100026_HDR.jpg
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I installed a Sargent Touring seat pad and cover. After an hour, I was squirming. I could last longer on the OEM seat. I did like the foam density of the Sargent seat, but the shape did not work for me, so I decided to modify it.

First, I want to state my needs are probably different than most. I have arthritis in my hips that limits my range of motion. Most bucket shaped seats don't work for me. What does work for me is a skinny seat, like a dirt bike where my weight is supported in the narrow area under my private parts, and my hips are allowed to "hang" off to the sides. I have no problem riding a bicycle for hours with a thinly padded seat.

Here's the Sargent seat I started with

20170802_212428.jpg

I want to make the seat narrower, so I started with this

20170802_204746.jpg

and a little more trimming

20170802_211008.jpg

This was a big improvement for me, but I found some pieces of memory foam leftover from other projects and decided to do a major overhaul.

I added a strip of medium density foam in the center, and a small piece of firmer foam at the tail.

20170805_122722.jpg

I topped it all off with another layer of light density memory foam

20170805_123719.jpg

I used my wife's electric carving knife and my 4" grinder with 80 grit wheel to blend things together. Final product looks like this

20170805_130257.jpg

For giggles and to calm the curiosity bug in me... had an idea on the way home from work this morning wondering if I can use the " Auto tune " module add-on from my FZ-07 PVC which is what converts the wideband o2 sensor info into AFR to see what AFR numbers I'm getting...  
Quick test first by parking the bikes really close to allow me to quickly just insert the wideband into the FJ-09 without pulling the whole thing outta the FZ-07... so I put the wideband on the FJ-09, isolated the Autotune box from the FZ-07 PVC, I got the PVC POD300 display which shows real time data of many things aND doubles as the FZ-07 shift light... then I just turned the power on on the FZ-07, then fired up the FJ-09, waited 10 secs and voila AFR numbers showed up ?... then spent the next 3hrs pulling the AFR system outta the FZ-07 and putting it on the FJ-09...

The Autotune module from PVC can be used as a stand alone AFR gauge w/ the POD300 display, I did not know that till now... it's universal it seems!

I wish I understood a word of this!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Got my Ohlins shock and Andreani cartridge kit installed. Just riding home from the shop it felt surprisingly better. Can't wait for a real ride

So what's the verdict? The Ohlins & fork work on my FJ totally transformed the way it handled... anxious to hear your opinion.

For giggles and to calm the curiosity bug in me... had an idea on the way home from work this morning wondering if I can use the " Auto tune " module add-on from my FZ-07 PCV which is what converts the wideband o2 sensor info into AFR to see what AFR numbers I'm getting...  
Quick test first by parking the bikes really close to allow me to quickly just insert the wideband into the FJ-09 without pulling the whole thing outta the FZ-07... so I put the wideband on the FJ-09, isolated the Autotune box from the FZ-07 PCV, I got the PCV POD300 display which shows real time data of many things aND doubles as the FZ-07 shift light... then I just turned the power on on the FZ-07, then fired up the FJ-09, waited 10 secs and voila AFR numbers showed up ?... then spent the next 3hrs pulling the AFR system outta the FZ-07 and putting it on the FJ-09...

The Autotune module from PCV can be used as a stand alone AFR gauge w/ the POD300 display, I did not know that till now... it's universal it seems!

I wish I understood a word of this!

I used the wideband sensor kit from my FZ-07 PowerCommander (PCV)... the wideband sensor is used to run the "AutoTuner" from PCV

I didnt know I could treat the wideband sensor kit from PCV as " universal " as long as I use the POD300 display from PCV to see the AFR numbers, hence my little experiment...

the reason I wanted to see what AFR numbers my FJ-09 was kicking out was because my Graves exhaust tip has a nice black carbon soot coating at all times...I suspected the bike was running 14.1-13.7 AFR which is not too rich nor too lean...even tho my hunch was right, I know some motors make the best power feeling at 14.1 AFR than a leaner AFR at 12.5-12.7 like my FZ-07 likes... cant complain as my exhaust choice and tune software puts the most power down as far as I know...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp