What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

17 minutes ago, enx said:

2,3bar front, 2,7bar rear

Huh.  I wonder why the extreme difference in mileage.  I ride really hard, too, not like I baby mine, and others I know with them get good mileage too.  Interested in how the Dunlops work out for you.  

I've been really happy with the Dunlop RS3 on my FJR (two sets), but had been contemplating trying the Road 5 on the Tracer when the stock tires are done. I haven't been on a Michelin since the PR4 was new. I didn't love how that tire cupped for me, even on a lighter bike (Honda NC700X). The 5 seems a good tread shape that wouldn't cup as badly. 

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, draco_1967 said:

I've been really happy with the Dunlop RS3 on my FJR (two sets), but had been contemplating trying the Road 5 on the Tracer when the stock tires are done. I haven't been on a Michelin since the PR4 was new. I didn't love how that tire cupped for me, even on a lighter bike (Honda NC700X). The 5 seems a good tread shape that wouldn't cup as badly. 

Yeah, the PR4 front got cuppy easily.  I figured that was mostly just me as I run pressures a bit lower in the winter, and at the time I had the 4's I didn't have dedicated winter tires.  

• Premium Member
On 1/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, BBB said:

Crawled in there, blinded by lust for the big, red, shiny, “female dragonfly” it had spotted and died of exhaustion after hours of love making?

That's how I want to go.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

If I may jump in here, has any of you tried the Bridgestone S21's?  Love them a lot and now I have had a set of the S22's.  I week of hard riding the twisities in NC/TN and you'll be replacing them.  But no squawking while you're riding about the mileage.  Stop smoking or stop eating out so often or whatever but put good rubber on the bike and then go wear it off.  That's my thought anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fjray said:

If I may jump in here, has any of you tried the Bridgestone S21's?  Love them a lot and now I have had a set of the S22's.  I week of hard riding the twisities in NC/TN and you'll be replacing them.  But no squawking while you're riding about the mileage.  Stop smoking or stop eating out so often or whatever but put good rubber on the bike and then go wear it off.  That's my thought anyway.

Hah mileage is pretty crucial to me, I run around 15k per year, so that budget can fill up pretty damn fast.  Tires replaced weekly?  That's a fair bit more than smoking or eating out!

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Hah mileage is pretty crucial to me, I run around 15k per year, so that budget can fill up pretty damn fast.  Tires replaced weekly?  That's a fair bit more than smoking or eating out!

True.  IIRC, cigs are pretty expensive in Canada.  Just saying, if tire mileage is a thing, fun suffers.  IMHO

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, fjray said:

Yes, I have used 3 sets of S21's and have a set of S22's in the garage waiting for Spring.  LOVE the S21's, even with a mix of sporty mountain and canyon twisties and some long distance riding, I have reached 5,500 miles on each set and could more than likely reach 6k.  Not bad for a sport tire.

Interestingly, I tried the T31 S/T tire and got the same performance and mileage, it just has more rain channels.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I'd love to get at least 2K out of the tires but not willing to lessen the riding style to get there. I buy a stack in the spring and now I also have a second set of wheels from eBay and so I can leave for a twisty session with brand new rubber on and still run the old not quite wore out tires (at least the center tread is still good) tires around here, in flatland country.  Mount them myself and save some money that way too.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, fjray said:

I'd love to get at least 2K out of the tires but not willing to lessen the riding style to get there. I buy a stack in the spring and now I also have a second set of wheels from eBay and so I can leave for a twisty session with brand new rubber on and still run the old not quite wore out tires (at least the center tread is still good) tires around here, in flatland country.  Mount them myself and save some money that way too.

I would love to have another set of wheels.  It makes so much sense to have a 2nd set of wheels for that exact purpose.  I will seriously have to start checking eBay.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, fjray said:

True.  IIRC, cigs are pretty expensive in Canada.  Just saying, if tire mileage is a thing, fun suffers.  IMHO

Which is a big part of why nobody smokes anymore (here anyways).  That, and the social stigma.  I mean, if I could afford it I'd be all over that, but even if I just ran em in the summer I'd be looking at $2000+ in tires alone per summer.  

I do really want a second set of rims though, have a seasonally appropriate set mounted and a fun set, older worn tires for regular commuting, nice new set for the next road trip, etc.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I do really want a second set of rims though, have a seasonally appropriate set mounted and a fun set, older worn tires for regular commuting, nice new set for the next road trip, etc.  

^^^Exactly this^^^

• Premium Member

I figure I was pretty lucky and got each rim for $100.  Had to put a bearing and spacer in the front.  I have 9K of mostly twisty miles in the year and a half I've owned the FJ.  I take it down to the mountains in the back of my pickup truck.  So pretty much on the edges of the tires except for a couple hundred miles here.  There is nothing more fun than this.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Technically yesterday, but got my semi custom exhaust installed on the bike. Consists of a no name headers and looped mid pipe with a few bends added on to bring the muffler out from under the bike, and a sc knockoff mounted under the passenger pegs.

Also started the install of the sw motech pro carrier system, so i can run larger side cases. 

Finally figured out how to resize pics!

20200209_080120-01.jpeg

Edited by ABlast82
Added pic
  • Thumbsup 3