What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

Some quality time in my happy place.   Oil & filter, a new dual USB outlet in place of the original cigarette-lighter style power plug, and bonding time with Arlo the shop dog.   

Thing could be worse...  

515BDE8A-99C2-4BC8-B6E9-577B28F3E0F7.thumb.jpeg.2e66e28dddfb59d596cf8d25f6e3933c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Installed a dual USB power point (with voltmeter) in place of the stock cigarette lighter style power outlet.   I did move the stock socket over to the other side, so I actually have both options now.   

This is one of those little things that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time.  Fairly simple project, although it seemed to take longer than I would have expected...  unrestricted access to good beer in the shop refrigerator may have been a factor in the pace of productive work.  

0F5C5927-A92E-4BB8-BC32-EA8690801465.thumb.jpeg.3a136244496b2ed985151f00d5c8efbd.jpeg

5D75C513-8454-420E-90F7-6ACF1029347E.thumb.jpeg.4b0eff454de5e448bec6040eb46fdb1c.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Installed a dual USB power point (with voltmeter) in place of the stock cigarette lighter style power outlet.   I did move the stock socket over to the other side, so I actually have both options now.   

This is one of those little things that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time.  Fairly simple project, although it seemed to take longer than I would have expected...  unrestricted access to good beer in the shop refrigerator may have been a factor in the pace of productive work.  

0F5C5927-A92E-4BB8-BC32-EA8690801465.thumb.jpeg.3a136244496b2ed985151f00d5c8efbd.jpeg

5D75C513-8454-420E-90F7-6ACF1029347E.thumb.jpeg.4b0eff454de5e448bec6040eb46fdb1c.jpeg

that is a cool project. looks OEM. is moving the stock plug to the other side as easy as removing the blank and rerouting wires?

Edited by Hyena

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, Hyena said:

that is a cool project. looks OEM. is moving the stock plug to the other side as easy as removing the blank and rerouting wires?

Yes, moving the original plug to the other side is as simple as you would expect:  you have to remove the windsceen and support plate to get to the wiring, then just unplug the outlet, move to the other side (the rubber plug just pushes out), and plug it back in.  The wiring length is fine, and everything fits without issue.   

Installing the USB outlet is a bit more complicated, mostly because you have to fabricate the wiring to plug into one of the spare switched power points behind the windscreen.   Not difficult, but a little more than just plug & play.  

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Yes, moving the original plug to the other side is as simple as you would expect:  you have to remove the windsceen and support plate to get to the wiring, then just unplug the outlet, move to the other side (the rubber plug just pushes out), and plug it back in.  The wiring length is fine, and everything fits without issue.   

Installing the USB outlet is a bit more complicated, mostly because you have to fabricate the wiring to plug into one of the spare switched power points behind the windscreen.   Not difficult, but a little more than just plug & play.  

Hey Scott, I'm curious why you moved the 12v socket to the right side instead of leaving it as is and installing the usb socket on the right?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Hey Scott, I'm curious why you moved the 12v socket to the right side instead of leaving it as is and installing the usb socket on the right?

Somehow it just felt better to lay it out this way...  some weird Feng Shui, perhaps? 

I always do everything from the left side of the bike before I get in the saddle, so it seemed more user friendly to put the USB power (which I’ll use much more frequently than the cigarette outlet) on that side of the bike.   

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
On 2/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, Alistair said:

Fitted a speedo angles screen protector to the dash.  Once the screen was completely clean it was very easy to fit and should stop all those tiny scratches.

20200207_112957_compress63.jpg

Something I didn't know existed, but now somehow feel I must have... 

Just curious, did you go with the NanoGlass version?   NanoGlass UltraClear would seem to be the right setup... 

Today I installed my Denali Micro LED lights and a USB for my phone/gps. Pictures attached, as I know we all love pics!

For those who have been nervous about using the accessory plugs behind the windscreen for lights/chargers/heated grips, etc, let me tell you, it's very easy. Some of the posts on here regarding using these ports refer to the "dummy" connector that is snapped in to these accessory ports. These should be thought of less as "dummy" connectors, and more as empty connectors. All they need to become fully-functioning is the male terminals available at cycleterminal.com. See pic below. Crimp these on the end of your wire along with one of the rubber boots, and these snap right in to the empty connector attached to the accessory port connector behind the windscreen.

Luckily, I had some leftovers of these terminals from this same LED install on my previous bike, a Honda.

As for mounting the lights themselves, I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. principle, and I simply remove a fender bolt, grab a longer bolt and some spacers (white plastic in the picture), and attach the light right next to the fender. These were mounted in this way on my previous bike for over 20,000 miles. Worked great. I think it also gives it an almost OE look. I could probably improve on that more by using a single, wider black spacer in place of the two white ones. But, meh.

*IMG-8089.JPG

*IMG-8093.JPG

*IMG-8092.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.43.12 PM.png

Edited by Patch Kit
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patch Kit said:

Today I installed my Denali Micro LED lights and a USB for my phone/gps. Pictures attached, as I know we all love pics!

For those who have been nervous about using the accessory plugs behind the windscreen for lights/chargers/heated grips, etc, let me tell you, it's very easy. Some of the posts on here regarding using these ports refer to the "dummy" connector that is snapped in to these accessory ports. These should be thought of less as "dummy" connectors, and more as empty connectors. All they need to become fully-functioning is the male terminals available at cycleterminal.com. See pic below. Crimp these on the end of your wire along with one of the rubber boots, and these snap right in to the empty connector attached to the accessory port connector behind the windscreen.

Luckily, I had some leftovers of these terminals from this same LED install on my previous bike, a Honda.

As for mounting the lights themselves, I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. principle, and I simply remove a fender bolt, grab a longer bolt and some spacers (white plastic in the picture), and attach the light right next to the fender. These were mounted in this way on my previous bike for over 20,000 miles. Worked great. I think it also gives it an almost OE look. I could probably improve on that more by using a single, wider black spacer in place of the two white ones. But, meh.

*IMG-8089.JPG

*IMG-8093.JPG

*IMG-8092.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.43.12 PM.png

Move this over to the tech thread! I definitely want to do this later. Seems like a simple project. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Hyena said:

Move this over to the tech thread! I definitely want to do this later. Seems like a simple project. 

@Hyena - In case you weren't aware, behind the screen there are spare power plugs that are switched to power, perfect for wiring in auxiliary lights or a GPS.  If you don't want to buy the parts to build a plug for your device, go to your bike shop and ask if they have a salvaged wiring harness.  My local shop cut off a few plugs for me and then I just spliced on my devices.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Hyena - In case you weren't aware, behind the screen there are spare power plugs that are switched to power, perfect for wiring in auxiliary lights or a GPS.  If you don't want to buy the parts to build a plug for your device, go to your bike shop and ask if they have a salvaged wiring harness.  My local shop cut off a few plugs for me and then I just spliced on my devices.

that's pretty handy. how much stuff can you plug in before it becomes too much of a power draw? i'm installing heated grips and interested in doing some other stuff like MCCruise too but not sure what the limit is.

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Hyena said:

that's pretty handy. how much stuff can you plug in before it becomes too much of a power draw? i'm installing heated grips and interested in doing some other stuff like MCCruise too but not sure what the limit is.

Neither the heated grips or MCCruise would wire into that circuit so not to worry.  Its a 2A circuit so you wouldn't want to wire in heated gear but lights and a GPS are fine.

I have my heated gear ran through my battery tender SAE lead which is direct wired to the battery.  The heated grips are on their own circuit and the auxiliary plugs are on a separate circuit, I have the 12v outlet plug, Denali running lights and a GPS all on the switched auxiliary circuit without issues.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1