What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

New EBC HH brake pads front and rear. Easiest bike to change pads on that I've ever owned!  With only 17,000 miles on the bike I still had stock pads and probably another 3-5,000 left on them. But they felt just a little off on a very hard stop today, so off to Cycle Gear and she stops on a very thin dime now! 

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, 2linby said:

New EBC HH brake pads front and rear. Easiest bike to change pads on that I've ever owned!  With only 17,000 miles on the bike I still had stock pads and probably another 3-5,000 left on them. But they felt just a little off on a very hard stop today, so off to Cycle Gear and she stops on a very thin dime now! 

As you're no kid I'm sure you how good HH pads can be once they're heat-cycled and bedded-in.  But you may not know that your OEM pads were GG not HH.  So it's nice to know you have a dime but I like GG on rear for the street so the ABS doesn't grab too early.

• Thumbsup 3

Yeah I knew they where the GG pads. and yes I just got back from about 50 miles of quick stops to bed them in. No surprises.   Thanks! 

• Premium Member

Are you in the pnw OR in Li like your member map shows

If you really want better feel and to stop on a thinner dime, stiffen up your Springs and get some R1 320 rotors and the matching radial master cylinder with Spiegler stainless lines 450bucks plus spacers or so

• Thumbsup 1

27 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Are you in the pnw OR in Li like your member map shows

If you really want better feel and to stop on a thinner dime, stiffen up your Springs and get some R1 320 rotors and the matching radial master cylinder with Spiegler stainless lines 450bucks plus spacers or so

I've done that with other bikes. I'm happy with the set up at the moment. Spieglers will be the next step But for my casual "old man riding style " R1 320's and matching master aren't really necessary.  But then again, I've say that before and did the changes anyway. I converted  My old 2001 Concous to 17" wheels front and rear added 300mm rotors with six pot tokico's and Spengler SS lines. The big bike stopped sooo much better and was transformed into the machine Kawasaki should have made. Then the C14 came along.... As I got older it become just too heavy for my short commute and in town traffic, so the FJ09 came along. So far love the bike. I little under powered but I'm not going exotic or R1 so it'll do for now. 

• Premium Member

Installed the Yamaha rear carrier this weekend.

I did notice the panniers wouldn't sit near as snug on the bike afterwards. (panniers had just a little bit of play to rattle when mounted)

So used some thin foam trim on the back of the hangers and over the locking pins that push up into the rail via the handle. (Snug as a bug again!)

IMG_20200905_151920.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, 2linby said:

I've done that with other bikes. I'm happy with the set up at the moment. Spieglers will be the next step But for my casual "old man riding style " R1 320's and matching master aren't really necessary.  But then again, I've say that before and did the changes anyway. I converted  My old 2001 Concous to 17" wheels front and rear added 300mm rotors with six pot tokico's and Spengler SS lines. The big bike stopped sooo much better and was transformed into the machine Kawasaki should have made. Then the C14 came along.... As I got older it become just too heavy for my short commute and in town traffic, so the FJ09 came along. So far love the bike. I little under powered but I'm not going exotic or R1 so it'll do for now. 

I'm a bit older than you and also wanted something light, though the FJ09 is actually my heaviest bike and only second most powerful.  With the ECU flash and 15/44 sprockets and 520 chain, power is now adequate. With springs, proper fluid and level, a good range of preload with the new valving and adjustable compression, the forks are a great match to the K-Tech Razor-R. I never liked the narrow front brake engagement, lack of feel or bite, hence my mods. The broader engagement and sharper but more progressive deceleration and very good (if not excellent)  feel is what I sought and achieved.  Next set of pads try Vesrah RJL.

• Supporting Member

Today I readjusted my suspension a bit softer.  Since I always ride with my trusty flat tip screwdriver, I said to myself "I wonder if maybe in my quest to tune for cornering compliance I have set things too firm"... only one way to find out. 

I started out with the bounce tests, the front end was REALLY firm (but boy, does she hold a line through a fast sweeping curve)  So, I backed off 1/4 turn of compression damping, tested again and backed off another 1/4 turn.  The back felt pretty good but the rebound was a little slow so -1 click of rebound damping and it felt very good. (the Penske shock is VERY responsive to adjustments, 1 click is quite noticeable)

Back on the road to make any fine tuning adjustments, holy cow what a revelation, this can be plush AND compliant at the same time!  Sweeping corners with left/right/left/right rapid transitions, downhill tight radius corners felt wonderful and completely in control, then I got on the highway for almost 30 minutes which felt like I was on an FJR or C14, followed by some rural farm roads with cattle crossings and many creek bridges with pavement to cement, back to pavement transitions that didn't compress my spine.

Last year while on a road trip I had swapped bikes with my brother and mentioned his bike felt very firm, it turns out he had done a track day the previous summer and the track side suspension guy had stiffened it up and he had just kept it like that for almost a year!  After some clicker settings and some further test riding we had his bike MUCH improved and enjoyable both in the twisties and the long hauls on the highway.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

We both have the fastest red 15 setup very similar to each other. I played around with my suspension settings quite a bit. The main differences is that I have a razor R shock and you have a Penske.

My Springs are 1.0 and I'm probably 235 in gear plus I have a fairly full top case that doesn't affect the forks much but we have a fairly long travel suspension in front. I've been using all of it and putting up with the progressive dive under hard braking, which actually tightens your line which is fine with me.  No mine's not so plush that a little Glide over fairly high-speed compression hits on bad pavement but for 75% of the lousy roads we have I'm comfortable yet can keep it really quick Pace in the twisties. The photo shows how little travel I have left, though I  could give another turn of preload but I think my compression and rebound are balances pretty well.

20200905_202218.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@2and3cylinders - My ultra high-tech fork travel indicator is a little higher than you have pictured, maybe 30-35mm, though I didn't do any extreme braking, I will have to re-check sag/preload.

I am very happy with the adjustments, it is nice and comfortable without affecting cornering control.  There is a highway offramp close by that is a long downhill continuous right-hander that circles a full 360 degrees as it transitions into a county road.  With the stock suspension the downhill radius would start to give me fits around 40mph, with the aftermarket suspension I can hold it at 55 and occasionally 60mph without a wallow or ever consider needing to scrub speed and slightly softening the suspension didn't change that.  👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well lads and lassies.

I am just home from visiting my neighbours south of the border, and getting the suspension done :)

All I can say is W O W !

I need to learn how to ride the bike all over again now. It is transformed.

20200908_092108.jpg

20200908_150902.jpg

20200908_151016.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Stew said:

It is transformed.

Welcome to The Enlightenment.   Pretty amazing, isn't it?  :)

I seriously ride mine like it's a completely different motorcycle now.  It's not that stock was that bad, it's just that the dialed-in aftermarket suspension is really that good.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, texscottyd said:

Welcome to The Enlightenment.   Pretty amazing, isn't it?  :)

I seriously ride mine like it's a completely different motorcycle now.  It's not that stock was that bad, it's just that the dialed-in aftermarket suspension is really that good.  

I know, right! I was hoping it would mibbe be a bit less hard work on big potholes, but riding it home (in pouring rain and fog and all sorts, for 150 miles or so) it suddenly dawned on me it was like a magic carpet ride, super smooth. I could really feel the rear tyre, where before I thought the tyre was terrible, but it wasn't the tyre!
I genuinely need to get used to it all over again now, it is so much smoother turning, quicker turning, and , well , you know already.
I'm preaching to the converted.
Cheers @texscottyd , and if you ever fancy a couple of weeks riding round Scotland, grab a flight and you can borrow it, any time.

• Like 2