What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Today I rode from Nashville, TN to Coppell, TX
12 hours riding counting all the stops for stretching, snacks, fueling and lunch
With the car it took me exactly 10 hours last month
Not bad considering that my butt was completely dead after 6hours of agony, the rest of the ride was completely numb when sitting, hurting really bad when stretching a bit
Recently bought some padded undershorts and tried to avoid any kind of seams to make my life easier, still my skinny butt is in pain
Last night I’ve ordered the Sargent seat (rebate for Labor Day weekend), and hopefully I can stretch my rides to a full tank, which is around 210miles and around 3 hours
today I had to stop every hour otherwise I couldn’t make it

also to my surprise, the Puig touring screen is garbage, buffeting above the helmet is atrocious, luckily I’ve tried it on Wednesday for a couple of hours on the highway, and after that I’ve tried the Yamaha stock screen and it is much better. I can live with (stock screen) taking pretty much a full blast without having that atrocious buffeting. I think (Puig Tour) it fits better shorter people, bc when bending my back to lower the helmet height below the top section of the Screen the buffeting was gone and it was super quite, but being 5’10” I can’t ride bending my back. I don’t wanna spend $130 to add the add on top screen and maybe it won’t even fix the buffeting

added some FJR pegs and it dampened the vibrations a lot, very useful on longer rides 

also added the Givi splash guard, the SW Motech Evo Engage and the tailbag which was already in use on my other bike so it’s good that I can exchange the bags in between my bikes

fuel economy is not bad, rode 172 miles and filled up with 3.7 , so yeah 210 miles for a full tank. Today the fuel average was around 46 considering the spirited ride 😅

AEE40784-29F9-4082-8D86-00C729530A49.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Supporting Member

Welcome to Texas, @MrFritz86!   We’re glad you’re here... unless you’re from California or Detroit, which we have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis.  :)  

I put a Sargent seat on my FJ, and it was a big improvement from the stock upholstered plank that passed for a seat.   My longest day on the Sargent has only been about 450 miles, but it was very tolerable up to that point.   It’s not a full custom fitted seat, but for off-the-rack the Sargent seems to work well.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, koth442 said:

Today I gave the FJ a loving pat as I packed the GSXR into the trailer and headed to the racetrack!

I’m so insanely jealous!  Every time I pull my truck into the shop, I’m staring directly at my poor neglected 636 track bike.   It’s been a few years since it’s been out, and I’m really overdue for some track time.   

Enjoy yourself! 

C91563D3-3530-4786-94F3-8D9489A287BD.thumb.jpeg.ed55b5248c3a068fb04316d6c4a61350.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

15 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Welcome to Texas, @MrFritz86!   We’re glad you’re here... unless you’re from California or Detroit, which we have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis.  :)  

I put a Sargent seat on my FJ, and it was a big improvement from the stock upholstered plank that passed for a seat.   My longest day on the Sargent has only been about 450 miles, but it was very tolerable up to that point.   It’s not a full custom fitted seat, but for off-the-rack the Sargent seems to work well.  

Thanks for greeting me, I quite spend bit some time throughout the year here in Coppell when visiting my dad
Living in Nashville, we were mostly using stand by flight tickets, but with Covid and the new bike, I started this touring experience and I think I’m gonna love it
even more now that you told me the huge improvement that was the Sargent compared to the plank stocker (hey nothing wrong with it since its much more comfy compared my naked stocker 😅)

Where are you located?

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

Recently bought some padded undershorts and tried to avoid any kind of seams to make my life easier

I recently bought some wicking underwear from Duluth Trading Company and they worked great on my 4000 mile trip. I got the long boxer briefs so the seams at the ends of the legs were well away from where I sit. Wicking moisture away has a huge effect on comfort. 

I've tried padded bicycle shorts in the past but I think these worked better.

• Thumbsup 3

10 minutes ago, keithu said:

I recently bought some wicking underwear from Duluth Trading Company and they worked great on my 4000 mile trip. I got the long boxer briefs so the seams at the ends of the legs were well away from where I sit. Wicking moisture away has a huge effect on comfort. 

Thanks for the info

do you have a link to the product?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I agree 100%, even when not riding I only use moisture wicking boxer briefs and socks.  And the seam location (or more importantly, lack of seam) for me is vitally important for comfort.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, keithu said:

Exactly the same for me.  I’ve been wearing the Duluth Trading long boxer briefs as part of my standard riding apparel for a couple of years now.   I haven’t found anything else that works better, especially in the hot Texas summers.

@MrFritz86 - Here’s the online product link.   FYI:  There’s a Duluth Trading retail store in Arlington, which is just a short distance from Coppell.  

Duluth Trading long boxer briefs

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Exactly the same for me.  I’ve been wearing the Duluth Trading long boxer briefs as part of my standard riding apparel for a couple of years now.   I haven’t found anything else that works better, especially in the hot Texas summers.

@MrFritz86 - Here’s the online product link.   FYI:  There’s a Duluth Trading retail store in Arlington, which is just a short distance from Coppell.  

Duluth Trading long boxer briefs

I’m actually On my way to through Denton to NTK and just found a Duluth store there, imma stop by and check it out 

thanks a lot guys for the input 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Cycle Gear's house brand of wicking boxer briefs (and tights, both summer and winter) are pretty good and cheap, plus they offer a lot of compression but no fly.  Both Fruit Of the Loom and Hanes offer several moisture wicking (CoolMax type material) and odor killer treated long boxers, as well as in fine mesh and perforated.  Available sporadically at your nearest Walmart and Target also for cheap.  I've been a cyclist also for 50 years and adapted bicycle stuff to motorcycles.  Bicycle jerseys (I only wear long sleeve) in particular because they are CoolMax (type) and have dropped backs, and the ones with the rear pockets absorb more sweat, and the pocket is handy when off the bike for your wallet and cell.  Same with balaclavas, tights that I wear under my pants (which also make getting dressed easier), glove liners, etc...  Cheaper than motorcycle gear because bicyclist outnumber us 5 to 1.  I've also dispensed with the knee armor in a few of my pants and gone to slip-on knee-shin armor that downhill bicyclists wear, much better protection (even though they are only Level 1 but include soft and hard armor) and they stay where you need it.  I sometimes wear over-the-knee wicking socks under the knee guards.  Same with jacket armor, in some I wear a vest type back protector and chest plate, in others a fully armored shirt.  And I also always wear the Headsweat brand skullcap which keeps your helmet cleaner, you stay cooler (especially if you soak the headsweat in cool water, and even dump water in the helmet staying clear of speakers and wires) and warmer in the winter.  And all my gloves are armored with Knox type palm sliders, knuckle and scaphoid protection.

ATGATT

20200906_115147.jpg

20200906_115425.jpg

20200906_115446.jpg

20200906_115532.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

I had my Hyperpro suspension set up properly this week. Today I checked the exact settings, wrote them down as a future reference point. 

I made a short ride to see if I needed to adjust the compression and rebound a bit for comfort, but I decided to wait until the oil is changed and the rubber seals are replaced.

Apparently, the OEM rubber seals tend to stick to the chrome forks making the compression of the suspension a bit slow to react.

If I decide to keep the bike, I might just consider to replace the cartridges to further improve the suspension.

So far, I'm really pleased with the new springs both front and rear.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1