FJ-09 Photo Thread

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Ride/camp at the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. 

D1BDB0C6-6536-4CC5-95B3-88E426F6680E.jpeg

What insects, reptiles, varmints and larger critters pose a threat to camping and hiking let alone just around the house down under?!

Ever wonder why it's so hard to find a decent tent that blends in to the environment rather than exposes you to untoward attention with bright colors?!

20 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What insects, reptiles, varmints and larger critters pose a threat to camping and hiking let alone just around the house down under?!

Ever wonder why it's so hard to find a decent tent that blends in to the environment rather than exposes you to untoward attention with bright colors?!

Nothing too out of the ordinary. 
There’s a bit of a mouse plague in places at the moment, and we had one night where they were trying to get into the tent all night. 
Kangaroos, wombats and wallabies while riding, but this is more of a worry at dusk or in the dark. 

Kookaburras that steal your food while cooking is another issue. 
Spiders and snakes everywhere but they don’t normally cause much concern. 
On a recent ride my mate who was riding up front had to evade a brown snake (poisonous and outright mean) that lunged at him, he hit it with the rear tyre and it got flung between my right knee and elbow as I quickly steered to the left so it wouldn’t end up on my lap. 
Oh yeah, sharks have been a bit of a problem last few years, they’ve eaten a few people, and salt water crocodiles up north. 
Australia has 4 of the most poisonous snakes in the world, as well as poisonous octopus and deadly stingers in summer. 
Come to think of it, there’s also been a few dingo attacks lately as well. 
Apart from that not much really. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Haha 4

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

image.png.a2af1ac4d9dce50d448a86995453d064.png

image.png.2502edceb8795202bfaf8a11a746a24c.png

image.png.dcf29ff53aea55bd07c4dc2b30b51f0f.png

image.png.14c7d8e12e3e569aa004346e92fe63d7.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Apart from that not much really. 

LOL!!!

Other than deer mostly at dusk/night, Man is our most dangerous predator.

Road kill always appears in blind turns alone with gravel, mud or bovine excrement, skunks are stinky but raccoons are most prevalent because they mistakenly think they're too fast. Cute and smart but over confident.

Birds are my personal nemesis.  I've killed a few, usual resulting in a cloud of feathers and blucth, and a shoulder or arm bruise; though they always seem to go for a head shot.  The definite worst close encounter was a mature sand crane who took off from a ditch crossing the road in front of me as I approached doing about 55 mph.  I braked and veered from hence it lofted but it struck my Givi Tour screen and left mirror. I amazingly remained upright and managed to stop on the gravel shoulder safely. The mirror extension pivoted around and busted the left bar mode control rocker switch but it still worked.  My heart took a few minutes to get back to normal as I went over the image in my mind in B&W of what just transpired.  I still recall what seemed to be an immature Pterodactyl taking off as if in slow motion, appearing larger as I approached with each synchronized flap of it's wings...  The crane saddly died on the road but my buddy behind me, who whitenessed the incident neglected to take a photograph of the corpse.

I presume you have vultures and birds of prey whom are even more deadly head hunters?

Chip n' seal and tar snakes are dreaded here but I'll take them any day over a Brown Snake in my lap!!!

Gooday Mate!

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

image.png.a2af1ac4d9dce50d448a86995453d064.png

image.png.2502edceb8795202bfaf8a11a746a24c.png

image.png.dcf29ff53aea55bd07c4dc2b30b51f0f.png

image.png.14c7d8e12e3e569aa004346e92fe63d7.png

I've dreamed about visiting you guys but was concerned about the dangers.  You just put me off enough to skip over your little continent and land a bit farther south in NZ if I ever make it down under.

That Roo looks like a well conditioned heavyweight prize fighter with an attitude!

And are those Irujukani Jellyfish usually that invisible?!!!

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've dreamed about visiting you guys but was concerned about the dangers.  You just put me off enough to skip over your little continent and land a bit farther south in NZ if I ever make it down under.

That Roo looks like a well conditioned heavyweight prize fighter with an attitude!

Ha!  It's not really as bad as my tounge in cheek exposé would make it seem 2plus3.  Come on down, I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. 👍

To answer your question abount the Irujukani Jelly fish is yes, they're tiny little buggers but thankfully only found in the far north of the country and not that common.  Check this out if interested.

9 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Australia has 4 of the most poisonous snakes in the world, as well as poisonous octopus and deadly stingers in summer.

At the risk of being branded a dick.... it's venomous, not poisonous.

Poisonous kills you when you ingest it.

Venomous kills you when it bites or stings you.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, andz said:

At the risk of being branded a dick.... it's venomous, not poisonous.

Poisonous kills you when you ingest it.

Venomous kills you when it bites or stings you.

That's even more concerning!

But good to know 

• Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I wouldn't worry too much, nearly all visitors make it back home again.

As for the big red, they live to fight and mate, hence the build.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, OZVFR said:

As for the big red, they live to fight and mate, hence the build.

The Grey Kangaroos aren't built as well as the Reds so have to find other ways to impress the chicks. 🤣

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice fastest red...

Hot?  Notice hand guard delete but bigger screen?

you as well! Very hot (was about 96 riding back down the hill), can't decide whether to pull the windscreen off for now or not. The plus is more airflow, but that's also a downside when it gets that hot because it leads to faster dehydration and the feeling of a hot leafblower the entire ride.

I forget if I posted this already. 

Millersburg Ferry, still runs when the river isn't too high or low. 

It's close to home for me, no real ride involved, just a piece of history still active. 

Screenshot_20210708-080839.jpg

• Thumbsup 1