Rare birds...

Other than by appointment with kimmie and suncoaster some time ago, today I saw only my second Tracer on the road, after almost three years of looking!

Near the same upmarket marina-side location (Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast) I also saw two luscious Bentley cars.

Does this prove that (a) Tracers are as rare as Bentleys or (b) Bentleys are as common as Tracers?

Discuss.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Guest bikeral
In the UK I see a lot of Tracers when out on the weekend blasts! I am expecting to see even more when the GT is released as that will be even more popular. Yamaha have certainly delivered one of, if not the, most complete all round bike that will do it all

I'm very used to rarely seeing any motorcycles that i own on the road as tend to like bikes that aren't mainstream. Heck my first bike as a youngster was a Hodaka Wombat and more recently i've owned 4 different Buell's in the last 15 years. Even my 2011 Sprint GT is somewhat rare only being offered here in the U.S. for one model year.

That's probably why i was drawn to the FJ-09 because they are not many around. In fact i can't recall seeing one anywhere since i was on vacation 900 miles from home in the Smoky Mountains earlier this year. I became interested in them about 1-1/2 yrs ago and finally bought one a couple months ago. It's my first metric motorcycle in 18 years. I realize they are a much more popular bike overseas than here in the states. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Despite the “popularity” of the Tracer I have rarely seen another one in the UK and disappointingly the few I have seen have been in pairs, where the Tracer was ridden by the female whilst the male was on a big BMW or other similarly lumpen adventure bike.

I even went to the Bulldog Bash in the summer, where thousands of bikers meet up and camp and admittedly it is run by the Hells Angels so there were a lot of HD type bikes, but I only saw one other Tracer even then.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I rarely see another Tracer with the exception of meeting up with Wordsmith and Suncoaster.

They certainly aren't the mainstream in my neck of the woods or with my long distance community.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I see them all the time. The FJ-09 seems to be popular in Oregon for some reason. I've seen two others parked at my work, and I saw one at the minimart two blocks from my house last week. On the road? Frequently.

I also spotted a Tracer when I was in Melbourne last month. Maybe I'm just lucky.

There was another guy in my area, Rolla Missouri, that had an FJ09.. He was even a member on this forum! We never got to meet up though sad.png
I may have purchased his bike. :D 
Have seen a fair number of FJs here in Milwaukee. Not rare; not common. Then again I live in the Heart of Harley.

• Premium Member
I've seen a fair number out here on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver) - probably a good 10 or so in different spots.

Definitely see more V-Stroms (although those have been produced for many years), but fewer Versys (Versyses?).

I'd say the FJ/Tracer is holding its own amongst class comparable in this region.

What shall we call 5 or more FJ-09 all riding together in a group?

Anyone manage to capture the mating calls of these elusive bikes? ?

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived