GT Corbin Seat are coming!

thepmh

Took the Tracer to the Corbin plant in Hollister, for their ride-in, custom seat build. Told them my main plan was to loose most of the slop toward the tank. And as was mentioned earlier, I wanted to avoid some of the grand-dad look that their seats can have, so dumped the piping and went for some of their more modern looking cover materials. This was what they built for me...

corbin_seat01.jpg

Edited by RBW01
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RBW01 said:

Took the Tracer to the Corbin plant in Hollister, for their ride-in, custom seat build. Told them my main plan was to loose most of the slop toward the tank. And as was mentioned earlier, I wanted to avoid some of the grand-dad look that their seats can have, so dumped the piping and went for some of their more modern looking cover materials. This was what they built for me...

corbin_seat01.jpgcould you post more pictures of it pls? Looks really good! 

Here's a top view that I grabbed with the phone at work this evening. 

From the seat they typically sell, I asked them to level out the rider area by removing some of the foam toward the back of that area. Then I asked the tech to shave down the raised area between the rider and passenger about 3/4". Finally, I asked him to take down the rim around the rider area to about half the original height, so there's less of a scooped out feel to it. The materials are leather on top and a vinyl on that sides that's called asphalt. I've had them do and entire seat in asphalt on an adventure bike. It makes a good gripper type material. The tuck 'n roll look to the top cover is an option. They can do it smooth too. But as many know, Corbin's foam is on the stiff side. When they do the tuck 'n roll, they stitch in an extra layer of soft foam. I don't know if they'll custom build a seat for mail order. 

corbin_seat02.jpg

Edited by RBW01
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:03 AM, RBW01 said:

Here's a top view that I grabbed with the phone at work this evening. 

From the seat they typically sell, I asked them to level out the rider area by removing some of the foam toward the back of that area. Then I asked the tech to shave down the raised area between the rider and passenger about 3/4". Finally, I asked him to take down the rim around the rider area to about half the original height, so there's less of a scooped out feel to it. The materials are leather on top and a vinyl on that sides that's called asphalt. I've had them do and entire seat in asphalt on an adventure bike. It makes a good gripper type material. The tuck 'n roll look to the top cover is an option. They can do it smooth too. But as many know, Corbin's foam is on the stiff side. When they do the tuck 'n roll, they stitch in an extra layer of soft foam. I don't know if they'll custom build a seat for mail order. 

corbin_seat02.jpg

How does it install?  Do you slide the front or rear in first and do you still get the hi/low seating position?  Looks great, mine should be here next week so I'll be able to answer my own questions but just curious.

Got mine this week.  Haven't had a chance to put any miles on it but feels good.  The very front had about a half inch cut on it that had to be done during the built.  The box and packaging were in great shape.  Contacted Corbin and they said send it back when you can do without it for 3 weeks and a warranty repair will be done, you have 1 year to do it and we pay shipping...gotta love good customer service.

IMG_20190601_134402.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

To follow up on this thread some... if you want to level the seat out even more, you can cut half of the seat bracket off, leaving just the front section.

Then you can slide the corbin front into the high position but the middle of the seat sits lower on the frame vs the back part of the bracket and that gives you some extra height in the front.

IMG_20201027_143017.jpg

IMG_20201027_143107.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 11:19 AM, fjrpittsburgh said:

Soft and Corbin usually don't go hand in hand.

I was just about to respond... Corbin would be more on the firm side I expect. At least my two different ones for ST1100 and ST1300 bikes was not to be confused with the 'showroom' soft Honda seats. 

All I can say is that the worst seat I've ever had was a Corbin, as it was hard as a rock and killed me in short order. It was like a cruel and evil being under my butt that knew just what nerves to irritate. Seats are so personal though and I'm glad the Corbin works for many people. These 900 seats are sharp looking. 

Just now, Salish900 said:

All I can say is that the worst seat I've ever had was a Corbin, as it was hard as a rock and killed me in short order. It was like a cruel and evil being under my butt that knew just what nerves to irritate. Seats are so personal though and I'm glad the Corbin works for many people. These 900 seats are sharp looking. 

Exactly my experience... but I figured I'd try it because Sargent seats are great on the ST1300 but the ones they made for the Super Ten were terrible, maybe they have updated them.. anyway, I figured I'd roll the dice and glad I did because it's an easy 1000 mile seat for me and not hard at all, just firm and far from oem soft.  If the oem is a 1 and hard as rock is a 10.. the corbin is a respectible 8 for me... 5 and 6 would still be soft to me.  Ok, I think I confused myself.

• Thumbsup 1