2019 900 GT. Hard start, extended crank?

peripateticmike

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, norcal616 said:

If you are turning the bike off while it's running via the key and not using the red thumb button to stop the motor...it takes longer to start... it's not an automobile

Turning the bike off while running using the red thumb button, then using the key to shut off all power...I find the bike fires up almost instantly after you hit the red starter button...

Hmmm, that’s interesting.  I’ve never used the red thumb button, ever, on any bike. 

Even though I have never had a hard starting issue, I will have to try your method to see if it makes a difference. It’s one of those habits that’s hard to change though. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

19 hours ago, norcal616 said:

If you are turning the bike off while it's running via the key and not using the red thumb button to stop the motor...it takes longer to start... it's not an automobile

Turning the bike off while running using the red thumb button, then using the key to shut off all power...I find the bike fires up almost instantly after you hit the red starter button...

I’ll have to try that, NorCal. It makes no sense to me why that would make a difference, but now I’m curious. 

hmm...

-Skip

I chalk it up as the ECU doing it job... Either way works fine, it's just an observation I noticed on how people start/stop motorcycle engines...

The only reason I asked was it was something I recall from my motorcycle endorsement class when they went through the steps of starting/stopping the engine... 

IIRC I tried this out years ago and found the engine to turn over a few extra (maybe 4 turns) turns before firing up when I did not use the red thumb button to kill the motor... 

Just maybe you didn't realize you stopped your engine a different way than you do 99% of the time and only noticed the few extra turns it required to fire up??? 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

My only experience:

2017 with ~10k miles. Haven't ridden it for about 2 mos. due to colder weather, I have an RT better suited for these months.

I periodically put it on a charger to keep the battery topped off.

So we had an unusually warm day, I decided to take the FJ up the hill.

Crank and crank, nothing.  Again and again, not giving it any or much throttle cuz I generally never have to when starting the thing.

So finally, I cranked it open about half and cranked. First one cyl, then VROOM!

After that, easy starts as usual.

All I can guess is that there was air in the lines and it had to get the gas to the cyls.

rain

• 6 months later...

To the original poster, did you ever get this sorted out? I have a 2019 Tracer GT and is doing exactly what you described. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. 

My GT did the same thing for about a week last month when I was riding it every day. I was just about to look into doing something about it and it reverted back to normal starting. I ride almost every day and it hasn't happened since.

Not that it's helping much, but the same thing happened on my XSR900 (same engine). Was not a power problem, as I tried boosting the battery with a running car. No help. Just filled the tank completely and waited. Then it suddenly could start again.

My guess is probably a problem with the immobilizer! If someone gets this problem again, could they please try the red master key and report if it helped?

Intereting @norcal616.   

I wonder if using the red button for shut off will keep the fuel system energized until the key shuts it down. This might improve fueling for the next start cycle over the short term.

Just a theory...

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Intereting @norcal616.   

I wonder if using the red button for shut off will keep the fuel system energized until the key shuts it down. This might improve fueling for the next start cycle over the short term.

Just a theory...

I think it's more of how everything is "synch up" the moment it gets shut down via the red button... To me if I shut the running motor off via key and go back to turn the key on, the fuel pump kicks it in like its running an idling motor due to red button in ON position- so when I go to start it back up it seems like it's just turning over a few extra times to "synch up"...

I don't think one is better than the other but we are cursed by habits... 

Other reason can explain longer than normal starts such as kinked breather hose(should hear the unique airbox whine if hose is not kinked)... Also CA bikes have an EVAP cannister which can do a random weird thing when gas tank is super full sitting under hot sun for hours...

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Possibly.  My FJ usually starts quickly, but occasionally will require cranking for a few extra seconds.  No biggie.

And is good we don't have to tickle carbs and get fuel on our fingers every time we start.  (You younger members can look that procedure up in Wikipedia or ask @wordsmith about it.)

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

20 minutes ago, nhchris said:

And is good we don't have to tickle carbs and get fuel on our fingers every time we start.  (You younger members can look that procedure up in Wikipedia or ask @wordsmith about it.)

Bloody cheek!   You'll be old 'n' grey - even gray - one day, nhc!   Or maybe old 'n' bald - even worse.😄   But what about kick-starting in days before electric starters!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

No worries Wordy.  At 72 I've got more hair than money.  Which is OK by me.

These young pups need to know how we suffered to ride in the OLD DAYs.

Speaking of kick start, I've not-so-good memories of running my pal's BSA 500 single through many times before it stared.  You just prayed to the gods it did't kick back!

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Speaking of kick start, I've not-so-good memories of running my pal's BSA 500 single through many times before it stared.  You just prayed to the gods it did't kick back!

I'll bet that I couldn't kick-start a bike today, not even a postie's 110cc Honda!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, nhchris said:

Possibly.  My FJ usually starts quickly, but occasionally will require cranking for a few extra seconds.  No biggie.

I’m only 38 and I know about that stupid procedure! But I did work in a Harley and Triumph shop for a while so I know my fair share of archaeic designs and ideas! Also fuel and oil leaks! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this happen to me once, about a month ago. The bike was about 5000 miles.

After about 3 or 4 goes at starting it, I turned the key off. Waited a second, then turned it on and it started right up. So that matches other's observations. Hopefully that will always work, but it does leave one a bit anxious.