vs FJR???

ted

This is similar to the "new member, not owner yet" thread  -- for the past three years I've been riding a 2015 FJR and have enjoyed it (prior to that I'd only ridden cruisers).  It's a great bike,  perfect in many ways for the 1-2 long trips I may make per year (3000+ miles over a week or so) as well as the more typical 200 mile single-day jaunts closer to home.   But I keep wondering if something smaller and lighter would be suitable for those long hauls while at the same time being possibly more fun on the day trips?  Ideally I'd have both, but I'm not sure I can justify that.  So, wonder if anyone else out there has made the switch (or has both in the garage) and how you'd stack one up versus the other.  Again, I know they're different bikes - and I also know that experiences are subjective - but would appreciate any personal insights that might be out there.  FWIW, I'm a shade over 6' tall, 180 lbs,  with a 32-33" inseam and in pretty decent shape for a "1957 model".

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@ted  I have ridden (never owned) the FJR many times and consider it a fantastic bike, the ONLY thing keeping me from owning one is the weight.  Like you stated "Ideally I'd have both".

Concerning long hauls on the The FJ or Tracer, dont think that because it is smaller displacement  that it isn't competent on long road trips.  I take at least 1 week-long trip every year in addition to several shorter 3-5 day trips throughout the year, in addition to many overnighters somewhere.  This year I have one 7-day trip planned in June and an 11-Day trip in September. 

A typical day for me while on a trip is 400-500 miles, the FJ/ Tracer handles it perfectly.  For long distance comfort I added MCCruise control and a custom built seat. 

For spirited day trips, this bike RIPS!!  Canyon carving, high speed mountain pass sweepers, it is a blast to ride.  With a suspension upgrade and premium tires, the CP3 motor can be used to its intended potential.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, ted said:

This is similar to the "new member, not owner yet" thread  -- for the past three years I've been riding a 2015 FJR and have enjoyed it (prior to that I'd only ridden cruisers).  It's a great bike,  perfect in many ways for the 1-2 long trips I may make per year (3000+ miles over a week or so) as well as the more typical 200 mile single-day jaunts closer to home.   But I keep wondering if something smaller and lighter would be suitable for those long hauls while at the same time being possibly more fun on the day trips?  Ideally I'd have both, but I'm not sure I can justify that.  So, wonder if anyone else out there has made the switch (or has both in the garage) and how you'd stack one up versus the other.  Again, I know they're different bikes - and I also know that experiences are subjective - but would appreciate any personal insights that might be out there.  FWIW, I'm a shade over 6' tall, 180 lbs,  with a 32-33" inseam and in pretty decent shape for a "1957 model".

1939 model here, and a shade under your own stats at 5'10" on a warm day, 85kg (187lbs) with all riding gear on, 32" inseam, moderately fit but getting less so with every passing day.   My own riding usage also mirrors yours pretty closely - my typical weekend ride there-and-back would be about 200km (say 120 miles), up to about 400km (250 miles), and maybe two trips away each year of around 4500km each, say about 2800 miles.   These longer trips would entail carrying fully (though lightly) loaded OE hard panniers, which do definitely make a difference to handling and suspension performance.   I never ever carry a pillion.

The harsh out-of-the-box suspension is a major point of criticism of the alleged 'touring' designation of the FJ/ MT-09, but I have mine on wholly OE suspension quite nicely tuned now, while others choose to have professional tuning and/ or aftermarket suspension parts installed, which can be pretty costly.   

Additionally, the OE seat also sucks, but there are many ways of dealing with this, mine being to purchase a superb BAGSTER seat from France at a cost of ~AUD$450.   Bliss!

IMHO, the FJ/ MT-09 will not match your FJR for day-long riding in terms of your comfort and the bike's ease of performance - the CP3 motor is a little buzzy at higher revs (needs to be lower-geared in 6th I suggest for stress-free distance touring) .  Counter this with the FJ/ MT-09's flickability and lightness of being, and you may have a drawn match.  The lightness also gives ease of shoving the bike around in the garage and given my advancing years and declining physical strength was a major reason for the choice of the MT-09 Tracer - I'm now on my fourth (4th)!

Coming from a very long line of BMWs (Roadsters and GSs) I find my MT-09 Tracer pretty satisfactory overall, and certainly giving excellent value-for-money, but if I planned much more distance-touring the BMW (= FJR) would be the choice.   For lesser distances in day-riding, however, the FJ/ MT-09 is decidedly a much more 'fun' machine to be on.   And it can be heavily 'farkled' at minimal cost given the vast array of mostly inexpensive aftermarket parts now available.

Enjoy the mental gymnastics!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Have both. 2005 FJR and 2015 FJ-09. Both have been on long tours, daily freeway commutes, canyon carving, etc. Short and fat, 5'8, 250, 29" inseam. Haven't done two up on either. Right knee replaced, left knee probably will be next year, due to arthritis/weight/sports injuries. But my riding butt is strong like bull :) 

Run a tail trunk on each, no sidebags (used them on FJR on Prudhoe Bay trip, but not since), and for trips a dry bag on the rear seat. Typical pleasure riding is 400-500 miles per day avoiding interstate and looking for roads that tilt the horizon.

Both required suspension upgrades and windcreen changes to suit. FJR got up and back bar risers for my trex arms. FJR came to me with a Mayer saddle. I'm one of the few here that is fine with the FJ-09 stock seat. FJR has stock fueling/exhaust. After putting 10,000 miles or so on the FJ-09 added the Yosh Y system and flashed ecu. 

As much as both bikes do the same duty for me they provide a different experience.

The FJ-09 has a shorter wheelbase, ungood aeros, more noise,  more vibration, hot rodding bundle of fun. The FJR is that porkier, less busy, sport sedan. FJR is quieter, even before the FJ-09 got the aftermarket exhaust, partially as a result of the plastics but also the engine, shaft, intake noise, etc. The triple is more vibey but they're good vibes. Triples might not be for everybody but I'm in love with them and how they deliver some characteristics of what I've loved in my fours and twins. With that wheelbase, protection,, smooth lump of an I4, neutral weight bias etc the FJR will always feel less busy than the FJ-09. 

In inclement weather the FJR protection means one less layer but of course that switch flips when the temps rise. The FJ-09 needs an electric windscreen button like the FJR so badly. Really every bike does because I like touching it. Hope I don't go blind. FJRs got the range but for a tank-to-tank rider like me an extra 40-50 miles isn't a requirement. FJ-09  has more legroom for my 56 year old arthritic left knee and replacement right knee. And if I move the seat to high position even more. 

You mentioned fun and the FJ-09 wins that for me but whenever I put on the boots and think about which to take there's never a bad choice. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Ted,

I put 30k miles on a 2008 FJR and I now have 4K miles on my 2019 Tracer GT.  If you are riding solo, the Tracer GT is a viable bike, it will work for your intended purpose.  Go and test ride one before you make a decision.

The GT is definitely smaller, lighter, easier to manhandle, and sportier.  The up quick shifter is a great feature you will learn to love while sport riding.  Modern o-ring chains are almost maintenance free, the FJR gets a slight advantage for upkeep with the shaft drive.  The FJR has a slightly longer gas tank range with that huge gas tank, but the GT gets much better mileage (premium gas) and it might only be 20 or 30 miles fewer per tank than the FJR.  The ergonomics of the GT are fairly upright with lots of leg room, maybe even roomier than the FJR.  I didn't like the OEM seat on either bike and purchased aftermarket seat; the biggest problem with the GT seat is that it tilts forward pushing me into the tank: I didn't like that at all.

The OEM bags are the same on both except the GT has smaller lids that reduce capacity a little bit.  Yamaha does not recommend using both the panniers and the tail trunk on the GT, I believe there are people that ignore that advice and do both w/o any known problems, you are on your own on that one.  As you probably already know, the FJR is available with electronically adjustable suspension and the GT is not, that is a non issue for me, your opinion might vary,

I am going to throw another one at you.  I think you should consider the new 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+.  It pretty much falls in between the FJR and GT in size, weight, and engine displacement.  I bought my GT in August 2018, but if I were buying today, I would ride the Versys and GT back to back and pick the one with the best engine and ergonomics for me.  The GT is a little buzzy and 850cc displacement works quite well, but it is not a 1050cc inline four like the Versys.  The GT is $5k less money but the Versys has comparable features to the $18k FJR ES.

If there is something about the GT and FJR I have not mentioned but you would like to know, just ask.

• Thumbsup 3

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I think the Tracer is very apt in sport riding and have no problem scraping the pegs on the Tracer. I believe in terms of sport touring the Tracer is more focused on the Sport front than Touring. 

IMG_20190208_221238.jpg

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, bugie said:

I think the Tracer is very apt in sport riding and have no problem scraping the pegs on the Tracer. I believe in terms of sport touring the Tracer is more focused on the Sport front than Touring. 

IMG_20190208_221238.jpg

Chicken strips.....we don't need no stinkin' chicken strips............

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

I think you should consider the new 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+.  

This. 

I love my FJ , but I walk around that bike every time I'm at the dealer. The only thing I don't like is that gigantic dumb muffler.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

5 hours ago, Cruizin said:

One more to consider, the Ninja 1000. You can ride that bike 1000 miles comfy, yet hit the twisties and scrape the pegs well.  It doesn't have CC though. 

Have been riding the Ninja 1000 since 2011.  Want to get a new sport touring bike this year as a retirement gift to myself and the Tracer GT is the only bike I am considering other than getting another Ninja 1000.  Have been lurking here to learn more.  The ergos on the Tracer are slightly more upright and there is a bit more leg room.....definitely something to consider for those of us who are beginning to get senior citizen discounts.  The Ninja is still all day comfortable for me, but after a test ride last October the Tracer is definitely a strong contender as it fit me very well, ( 6"1' with 34 inseam ), and seemed a bit more flickable than the Ninja.   Both my Ninjas have given me stellar service with bullet proof reliability, but I would expect the same of the Yamaha.     

• Thumbsup 6

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

This. 

I love my FJ , but I walk around that bike every time I'm at the dealer. The only thing I don't like is that gigantic dumb muffler.

Agreed.  I test rode the base version Versys 1000 a few times and really liked it alot.  To me it felt and looked physically larger than the Tracer GT but it is VERY smooth and comfortable! 

I rode it in mixed conditions, city traffic, rural farmland, secondary backroads and interstate and the bike works well in all conditions.  The rubber mounted motor mounts really kept the ride smooth and vibration free, when I was testing it on the interstate my inner voice was saying  "Just keep going and continue on to California".

The new SE LT+ seems like a major overhaul for 2019.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I think we are very lucky today to have so many fine motorcycles to consider:  the Tracer GT, the FJR, the Kawi Versys, KTM SuperDuke GT, and on and on.  I could just keep adding to this list.  But there is no substitute for our own personal feel, I would not buy any bike today without a test ride first.  Before this Versys SE LT+ came out and before I got my Tracer GT, I test rode the Ninja H2 SX SE, fantastic bike!  Fantastic engine!  Fantastic electronics!  But the ergonomics were a deal breaker for me, something I could not fully appreciate just by sitting on it in the showroom floor.

I hesitate to ask for a test ride on the new Versys SE LT+, it is bigger and more expensive than my GT, it's uglier too.  But I suspect that the engine will be smoother and more powerful than the GT, anytime I feel that temptation coming over me, I take my GT for a ride and remember all over again what a fine overall bike it is, and how lightweight and how much satisfying power Yamaha is able to get out of that 850cc triple.

• Thumbsup 3

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, runnerhiker said:

+, it is bigger and more expensive than my GT, it's uglier too.  But I suspect that the engine will be smoother and more powerful than the GT, anytime I feel that temptation coming over me, I take my GT for a ride and remember all over again what a fine overall bike it is, and how lightweight and how much satisfying power Yamaha is able to get out of that 850cc triple.

I couldnt agree more, with all of the new bikes coming out recently I have let my eyes wander and have definitely been tempted to stray from my FJ, -new and improved, latest and greatest and all of that.  Every time I go out to rip up some twisties though, I have a grin on my face and occasionally find myself laughing in my helmet as the rpm's climb and I am aggressively flowing from one corner to the next.  The FJ still holds its own very nicely.

I have let my brother and friends swap bikes while on road trips many times and everyone comes away VERY impressed with the motor.  I remember my brother telling me after a ride, "I was over 100mph through those sweepers, still in 3rd gear and it just kept pulling..."  😎

• Thumbsup 4

Hi Ted!

I have a 2008 FJR AE that I've owned for 10 years.  An absolutely incredible bike.  I still own the FJR and bought a 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT in August of last year when they first came out.  My youngest son Trevor rides with me a good bit.  He has a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650 that we converted into a sport tourer for longer trips.  It's a fun bike as well, but doesn't get ridden now due to the Tracer GT being available to ride.  He and I take turns riding the FJR and Tracer GT and can explain the differences between the 2 bikes quite easily.

I don't need to explain how great of a bike the FJR is as you already know.  It's a fantastic touring bike!  We rode both bikes down to Maggie Valley, NC for an FJR Rally (EOM) this past September.  The GT is also an excellent long distance machine as well.  The cruise control is wonderful.  The TFT speedometer is accurate which surprised me since no other bike I've ever owned displayed the proper speed.  I've read many people on this forum complaining about the comfort of the stock seat, but I find it more than adequate.  It slopes forward a little keeping you up against the fuel tank, but gives you lots of room to slide my butt back for other positions during long rides.

I'm 5' 11", 178 pounds, with a 31" inseam.  My son is only 5' 8" with a shorter inseam.  The Tracer is a little taller to mount, but I can flat foot it while on the seat.  Trevor can get the balls of his feet on the ground which he feels is just fine.  We've both found that turning the front wheel all the way to the right makes the bike easier to mount.

I have every imaginable accessory added to the FJR for touring.  Setting up the GT for touring was so easy as it comes with just about everything you'd want.  Cruise control, heated grips, manually adjustable windscreen on the fly, hard bags, fully adjustable upgraded suspension, etc.  I added a 56 liter Givi trunk, a Powerlet outlet on the left side of the bike for my heated gear, a power gps mount for my Garmin 665, and the Yamaha touring windshield for colder weather riding.  The touring windshield would be too short for someone of your height, but suits me just fine.  The quick shifter works really well for upshifting without the clutch.

When switching between the FJR and the GT it's obvious to me that the GT is a little more comfortable as I have less knee bend when seated.  I get the feeling that I'm much closer to the front of the bike on the GT.  When mounting the FJR after riding the GT for a while, the FJR feels like it's 2 feet longer in the front than the Tracer.  I have to pick up my feet higher than I think to get them on the pegs, hence more knee bend on the FJR.  I also feel a tad more upright on the GT even though I have risers on the FJR.  On the GT, you have 3 power modes:  A, standard, and B respectively.  While in A mode, the bike is an aggressive monster.  Definitely more power off the line as the Tracer GT is approximately 3/10ths of second faster from 0 to 60 mph.

I find myself riding almost exclusively in B mode, while touring as I feel the bike is much smoother.  A mode is definitely a blast in the twisties.  The cool thing about the bike's triple is it will tool around in 6th gear at 35 mph if you are inclined to do so.  The engine is amazing.  It isn't as smooth as the FJR's 4 cylinder power plant, but it isn't all that buzzy either.  You can also do a long slab ride on the Tracer just fine.  If I had to get rid of one bike, it would have to be the FJR.  I won't do that as I love both bikes so much and it's great to be able to have both bikes in the stable.  The FJR is great in the twisties once you learn how to throw that beast around.  The GT is more fun in the twisties as it's lighter and more flickable.

After moving the FJR around in the garage, the Tracer almost feels like a toy in comparison.  The GT is much easier to put on the centerstand and flows off of the centerstand smoothly.  I'm starting to love the lighter weight of the GT.  The GT's hard bags are exactly the same as the FJR's except the Tracer's bags have a flat lid which takes away about 8 liters of storage in each case.  I have the option to throw the FJR side cases on the Tracer if I'd like.  With the 56 liter Givi trunk on the GT,  the stock side bags are adequate for my needs.

In short, the FJR is a souped up Cadillac.  It's smooth, heavy, sporty and powerful.  It has better wind protection as you get more leg protection on the FJR.  The GT is more like it's lean, crazy cousin which can also be ridden as a long distance tourer.  On hotter days, the GT would give you more air to get through your gear.  I ride wearing the Klim Latitude jacket and pants which is good for most temps with good venting and you can easily add thermal layers underneath for warmth.  You would be very happy with either bike.  They're both great in their own ways.  I take a number of long trips each year.  One trip is about 2500 miles.  I would have no problem taking either bike on that trip.  I usually travel to places when I can find some good twisties.  The GT would be more fun once getting to my destination and not much worse on the slab than the FJR.

I've taken my GT to a few FJR events so far and let a number of experienced FJR riders take the GT for a spin.  They all came back with big smiles on their faces.  Two of the FJR folks said immediately that they want to buy a GT.  I get about 200 miles per tank before filling up.  A little more range on the FJR, but it burns more fuel.  The bike is said to need high octane fuel, but mine runs just fine on regular gas.

I hope I didn't leave anything out in my comparison between the 2 bikes.  If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.  All the best to you Ted!

Edited by fjrpittsburgh
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 2

@fjrpittsburgh  agree with everything he said. I had a 2006 fjr. Tweaked it to be as sporty as possible still it’s a heavy bike and the limits are not much. Unless you plan to do lot of 2 up long distance touring I think GT is capable of doing everything the fj does and much much better to move through twisties and inside your garage. 

@fjrpittsburgh are you from Pittsburgh PA? I live about 45 mins from there close to ohio border. Once winter breaks may be we can have GT party 

• Thumbsup 1