Help Me Decide

This is my first post. I’ve been riding a KLX250 but am wanting a better bike for commuting to work (70km) and for multi-day trips.  No off road riding planned. I’m considering a Tracer 900GT vs a 2019 Honda CB500X.  I’m wondering if the Tracer 900 would be too much bike?  Any risk of accidental wheelies while in B mode with full traction control?  Thanks!!

• Thumbsup 2

With traction control on (which it always is unless you intentionally turn it off) the very worst you will get is "bunny hops" and you'd have to work at it to manage even that in "B" mode.  Wide Open Throttle in 1st gear will do it in Standard Mode, never tried it in "B" mode.

I think you'd be happier with the Tracer, but I might be just a bit biased...

The CP3 engine is just as happy pulling from 2000 RPM as it is screaming down the road at redline.  One of the reasons I love this bike so much.  Perfectly adequate commuter, pretty decent tourer with a few farkles, and all you have to do to get your crotch-rocket jollies is bump it into "A" mode and grab a big handful of that throttle.

Never ridden or even looked seriously at a CB500X, so can't compare riding position, but I will say that the ergonomics of the Tracer are perfect for this crippled up old fart that absolutely can NOT ride a full-on sport bike OR a cruiser.

• Thumbsup 1

I had a 2013 CB500X! It was a fantastic little bike. I commuted 100 miles a day on it, did a few week long trips, and enjoy every memory I have of it. After 9 months, I was looking at luggage and other upgrades, and after a disastrous 4 months with a Triumph Tiger, I have an FJ. 2 years and 40k miles later, I have no plans of ditching it. If you get the 500X, you’ll love it, but probably will want to upgrade within a year or two. The FJ is a lot more power to get used to, but it’ll be sufficient for a long time. 

7FB6639C-E874-4C38-A398-7546622206A6.jpeg

156E6DB9-385E-4C9D-AC13-96108B606B9F.jpeg

Coming from a KLX250 I'm guessing you're a new(er) rider so the first thing I'd do is get insurance quotes. 

Also a KLX250 to a Tracer 900 is a huge jump.  Sure you'll likely get bored of a mid cc size but at east you won't be broke or dead.  Have a look in the 650cc sport touring bracket.

6 minutes ago, fURYOS said:

Coming from a KLX250 I'm guessing you're a new(er) rider so the first thing I'd do is get insurance quotes. 

Also a KLX250 to a Tracer 900 is a huge jump.  Sure you'll likely get bored of a mid cc size but at east you won't be broke or dead.  Have a look in the 650cc sport touring bracket.

Yeah. It’s definitely more expensive for insurance once over 750 cc here. I’ve been riding dirt bikes for 35 years, but I’ve only ever owned 250-350cc dual purpose bikes for street riding, so a 900 class is definitely a jump. 

I test road a Versys 650, but it didn’t fit me well. I’ve only ever sat on the Tracer 900 in the showroom, but the ergonomics feel right. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Stonegoat said:

I test road a Versys 650, but it didn’t fit me well. I’ve only ever sat on the Tracer 900 in the showroom, but the ergonomics feel right. 

Look at <cycle-ergo> to get a better understanding of the comparative ergos.   Easily compare Tracer ergos with any other bike you care to name... best thing since the mini-skirt!

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I don't think the 900GT will be too much bike even if it's a big jump from the 250, just don't twist the throttle as much, specially at first.  I am wondering why you only asked about the engine performance - the 900GT is full of other features that would be great for commuting and the Honda would lack: panniers, cruise control, wind protection, heated grips.  These things come standard on the GT, don't need to add any of them.  And getting used to the more powerful engine should be easy.

Go for the GT.

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

18 minutes ago, runnerhiker said:

I don't think the 900GT will be too much bike even if it's a big jump from the 250, just don't twist the throttle as much, specially at first.  I am wondering why you only asked about the engine performance - the 900GT is full of other features that would be great for commuting and the Honda would lack: panniers, cruise control, wind protection, heated grips.  These things come standard on the GT, don't need to add any of them.  And getting used to the more powerful engine should be easy.

Go for the GT.

The GT definitely is better equipped, no question there.  The features of the Honda I like are the light weight and incredible fuel efficiency. Speaking of which, what kind of mileage are you seeing on the highway (100 km/hr) cruise? 

Tracer 900 is a Swiss army knife thanks to that silly motor Yamaha created... Tracks days, canyon Carver, crotch rocket stalker, commute, etc...

Any motorcycle can be geared for more MPG... 

Test ride both...

• Thumbsup 3
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I've got both bikes in my garage ... CB500X was my first bike, and I just got the T900GT in December.

IMO both great bikes. CB500X is light, simple and economical. Great gas mileage (I'd regularly get 65MPG if I kept the speed below about 65MPH, but 40MPG at 85MPH). I've taken it on 2000 mile multi-day trips. At high speeds the engine is more rev'd out and not much acceleration is available; eventually it left me wanting more passing power.

The T900 is a bit heavier, stable, powerful. It is more comfortable at speed and always has something in reserve for passing. I get about 40-45MPG (premium). If you get the GT you've got all the extra amenities. Personally I really like the sleek narrow side cases I can fit through traffic in California.

Either bike is fine for commuting. CB500X is more practical and sips regular fuel. I like it for the surface street commuting. If you have some open road to get more speed, T900GT will ultimately be more satisfying.

For some reason, when I penciled out the insurance (assuming I kept one bike) it came out less for the T900GT. My best guess was the safety features like TC and ABS (neither are on my CB500X).

With Mode B and traction control and you should be fine with the T900, although I must admit the throttle has surprised me a couple of times!

• Thumbsup 4

I just realized the Tracer requires 91 octane fuel or better. Unfortunately I think that will eliminate it from my short list. I live in BC, and our fuel prices are crazy high, so want to be able to use 87 octane (regular) fuel in whatever I buy. 

48 minutes ago, Stonegoat said:

I just realized the Tracer requires 91 octane fuel or better. Unfortunately I think that will eliminate it from my short list. I live in BC, and our fuel prices are crazy high, so want to be able to use 87 octane (regular) fuel in whatever I buy. 

I've been running 87 in mine since the day I bought it, with ZERO issues.  I tried some 91 non-ethanol once and could not detect any difference at all.

17 minutes ago, phpaul said:

I've been running 87 in mine since the day I bought it, with ZERO issues.  I tried some 91 non-ethanol once and could not detect any difference at all.

Sometimes it's less about the bikes performance and more about sustainability.  You will notice the the difference when things start to break down.  Seals, gaskets blocked ports and lines etc.  Anything that the ethanol in the cheap  fuel touches. 

3 hours ago, fURYOS said:

Sometimes it's less about the bikes performance and more about sustainability.  You will notice the the difference when things start to break down.  Seals, gaskets blocked ports and lines etc.  Anything that the ethanol in the cheap  fuel touches. 

There is only one place in the county (that I'm aware of) that you can even GET non-ethanol fuel.    Plus the owner's manual specifically says E10 is acceptable fuel for the bike.