BMW F900XR

stevesweetz

10 hours ago, jdavis said:

Thanks john.   You've obviously done a lot of work on the configurator.   What's your personal take on the comparative value of the GT vs XR?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, jdavis said:

Read an article  about a recall for newer BMW's with flashing brake lights. Not legal apparently in the US.

The myriad vehicle regulations in every country are insane. Localizing vehicles for various markets must be a huge pain. I would say USA is the worst, but at least we didn't make Ducati do this:

🤣

PA-Ducati916Oz-101.jpg

13 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks john.   You've obviously done a lot of work on the configurator.   What's your personal take on the comparative value of the GT vs XR?

I think I will go with the BMW XR Tour when time for change is due. It's a bit smaller than the GT, and this should suit my stature and age.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, jdavis said:

I think I will go with the BMW XR Tour when time for change is due. It's a bit smaller than the GT, and this should suit my stature and age.

@jdavis - What is the XR 'Tour'?  Is that a specific trim package unique to EU and OZ?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That clarifies things a lot, jd - thanks!   It may be me, but accessing the Motorrad website and configerator it could be assumed that the TOUR came only in the gold colour.   Go Racing Red!   But the bike cries out for a decent-looking aftermarket zorst, and rear hugger to fill that empty space under the rear seat.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Zorst are being made already.

The back wheel throws everything up the riders back, needs a longer seat maybe.

Tour in AU comes in base white, with the red and gold options for $300 more.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks jd.   I look forward to reading some road-test/ comparo articles in due course, although as we know they always need to be taken with a bag of salt.  🙄

This enquiry comes from Boxer twin Forum R1200 R.

Has anybody had to opportunity to test ride either of these? I am planning riding these soon as a possible R1200R LC replacement, and would like other's opinions on what to look out for.

On-line reviews of the F900XR are generally good but 15.5 l fuel capacity puts it in the urban warrior class.
73 kW at 8,500 rpm, 88 Nm at 6,750 rpm, 219 kg wet

The other option is the Triumph Tiger 900 GT -
70 kW @ 8,750 rpm, 87 Nm @ 7,250 rpm, 192 kg dry, 20 L

In Australia the top of range F900 XR Tour is about $3k to $4k cheaper than the Tiger GT PRO.

Which would you go for?   

I'll pass on any responses to the OP.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, wordsmith said:

On-line reviews of the F900XR are generally good but 15.5 l fuel capacity puts it in the urban warrior class.
73 kW at 8,500 rpm, 88 Nm at 6,750 rpm, 219 kg wet

The other option is the Triumph Tiger 900 GT -
70 kW @ 8,750 rpm, 87 Nm @ 7,250 rpm, 192 kg dry, 20 L

In Australia the top of range F900 XR Tour is about $3k to $4k cheaper than the Tiger GT PRO.

Power and weight are basically a wash. The extra fuel capacity on the Triumph is important, but $3-4k more expensive? Yikes. If they are dead set against a Tracer GT then between those two I would probably buy the BMW just because of the price difference. Although I would also try to get test rides. 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I just did a price comparo on the Triumph and BMW USA websites. A red Triumph Tiger GT comes in at $14,550. A red F900XR with Select package (to get CC and heated grips, which the Tiger GT also has) is $13,440. So the BMW is a little cheaper, but the Triumph seems to have better suspension and more fuel capacity. Seems worth it to me. 

A Tiger 900 GT Pro is still only $1k USD more than a fully optioned F900XR. It's weird that the pricing would be so different in Australia. With a $1k price difference the Triumph seems like an easy choice to me. But at $3-4k no, I don't think the Triumph is that much better.

5 hours ago, keithu said:

I just did a price comparo on the Triumph and BMW USA websites. A red Triumph Tiger GT comes in at $14,550. A red F900XR with Select package (to get CC and heated grips, which the Tiger GT also has) is $13,440. So the BMW is a little cheaper, but the Triumph seems to have better suspension and more fuel capacity. Seems worth it to me. 

A Tiger 900 GT Pro is still only $1k USD more than a fully optioned F900XR. It's weird that the pricing would be so different in Australia. With a $1k price difference the Triumph seems like an easy choice to me. But at $3-4k no, I don't think the Triumph is that much better.

You’ll spend that 1k in “unscheduled” maintenance for the Triumph real fast. And then another 1k. And another. 

From the BMW R1200 R Forum, here are some impressions - make of them what you will -  and my response.   

Been having some fun this afternoon doing test rides (we are not locked down in Western Australia)

Impressions ...
1. Rode the F900XR first - in my opinion a quite awful bike! Seat is hard as a plank, riding position cramped (I am 6ft), engine lacks character (yes is is a Locin and feels it), the front fork dive is unsettling, windscreen is hopeless - the only good thing is the TFT screen (the software is a marked improvement on the R1250GS). I was so unimpressed I cut the test ride short.

2. Next the new updated X1000XR - absolutely loved it, a little buzzy through the right footpeg, fantastic quick shifter (again better that R1200R and R1250GS but probably a function of the different engine designs)). Heaps of usable torque. Seat is sculptured for comfort and really holds the derrière in place! 121 kW at 11,000 rpm, 114 Nm at 9250 rpm, 219 kg wet. Sport bike feel. Same excellent TFT screen. Downside - quite a bit more expensive at $30,850 for spec'd-up Tour model, and fuel consumption high. It is a tall bike so flat footing at standstill for the height impaired would be difficult, and pegs in the way don't help. Style lacks WOW factor.

3. Finally Triumph 900 GT Pro - loved it too. So,so much better that F900XR, seat height perfect, windscreen gives good cover. Build quality seemed better than both BMWs. The PRO has lots of options. The straight GT at $20950 (while lacking shift assist, centre stand and more) seems to be the value option. 7" TFT screen very busy and not to my liking.

The BMW dealer offered nearly $3k more for trade-in on my R.

The ride home on the R1200R reinforced just how good this bike is

Panzermann/LOS - on fuel consumption
F900XR 4.2 l/100 range 370
X100XR 6.2 range 320
Tiger 5.2 range 385

I have not ridden the Tracer GT yet.

So where do I stand - I would buy the Tiger if the trade price was better. I love the X100XR but if I was going to buy something like that, I would be waiting for the Ducati Streetfighter V4 due mid year and I believe will be priced around $30K - 153 kW @ 12,750, 123 Nm @ 11,500, 201 kg - but 6.9l/100km on a 16l tank gives low 230 range but I would be smiling all the way to the bowser!

"Red Dog" 2011 R1200R Classic in Red Apple Tricoat, ESA, ABS, comfort seat, touring screen, side and top panniers, luggage rack, Barkbusters Storm, SW Motech crash bars, Puig rear hugger, Cee Bailey Headlight protector, Rear Swingarm Slider, Front Fork Sliders, Akrapovic slip on muffler

Lawrence of Suburbia

Lawrence of Suburbia

Registered

Joined Feb 20, 2013
4,713 Posts
I spent a good part of today looking at videos on-line of various testers putting the XR through its paces. At least one damned it with faint praise, and not one of them really enthused about it. Maybe the journo's gift pack from Motorrad was a bit iffy this year. One thing I did note was the rather asthmatic sewing-machine sound of the XR as it 'accelerated' away at the start of each session - not at all impressive. Hurts me to say this, as a rusted-on BMW-er from 1997 on, but I think they have missed the boat with this one. Sob! 😢

• Thanks 1