How do you rub one out?

ok...... got your attention so now my question. As many here know I dumped my bike a couple of weeks ago. I replaced all of the parts but this one was a separate part and I didn't realize it. It's scuffed pretty badly. Is there a way to clean it up.

BTW..... This is plastic.

IMG_20200219_225207.jpg

Edited by Guest

Why not try to sand it lightly and then mask it off and spray it with paint?  The result can't be worse than the current condition and you might save a buck or two.  If it does not work out order a new one.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Why not try to sand it lightly and then mask it off and spray it with paint?  The result can't be worse than the current condition and you might save a buck or two.  If it does not work out order a new one.

Agreed.  Sand and paint the front part of the cowl (back to the vertical crease) and then match the other side.  I would use any other color than stock just so yours sticks out from the rest as one of a kind. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had bought the scoop and badge but when it arrived I saw that the edge cap is a separate part and ordered it already. I was hoping someone knew of a technique to clean it up and I could cancel the edge cap. I t was worth a shot. I've seen some people come up with cool solutions for different issues over the years.   

17 hours ago, chesterburnet said:

I had bought the scoop and badge but when it arrived I saw that the edge cap is a separate part and ordered it already. I was hoping someone knew of a technique to clean it up and I could cancel the edge cap. I t was worth a shot. I've seen some people come up with cool solutions for different issues over the years.   

I consider my scuff marks a badge of honor. Where I live,  "Idaho" roads are often sanded and full of new Californians that just moved here and can't drive for shet. Scuffs and dents happen. 

I grew up in Maine and we always complained about Massachusetts drivers. So I suppose that scuffs and dents happen there too. 

• Premium Member

plasti-dip is your friend,

You can make it whatever color you want, and it is easy to do the matching parts on the other side of the bike too.

Bonus: if you don't like it, peel it off and try again with another color. You can change the color of your bike every 6 months if you like.....

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, DavidS said:

plasti-dip is your friend,

You can make it whatever color you want, and it is easy to do the matching parts on the other side of the bike too.

Bonus: if you don't like it, peel it off and try again with another color. You can change the color of your bike every 6 months if you like.....

The matte black really blends in with the other black plastics on the bike, too - I forget who did it, but someone did their lower front panels (2019) with the matte black plastidip and it blended in really well.

I've got matte black vinyl on mine, and I'm very happy with it.  Plastidip would probably be the better solution for the problem in this thread, though, as it tends to fill small scratches whereas vinyl highlights them.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1