Random...but is this a Canadian thing?

Hello folks, I was just thinking and thought I would ask around to satisfy my curiosity. The other day I went riding and I passed by a parking lot with 3 riders just chilling with their bikes, they waved, I waved it was magical. As I was thinking about it it reminded me that a few weeks ago, first beautiful day we had, I had my FJ in the driveway being washed  and a group of about 10 riders passed by my house. I put my two’s in the air and every one of them saluted except the last rider. He honked, made me feel extra special. I have to ask, any one else salutes other riders when they aren’t riding? Is it a Canadian thing or just a me thing?

Cheers

• Supporting Member

Ha... I wave to the BRP guys, and them scooter people too. We're all just trying to have fun in the open air. That said... I don't know if I've ever waved to a guy washing his bike in the driveway... I would certainly respond to a wave. I do notice that in the first several weeks of each season, we're all so excited to be out riding that everybody is waving to everyone they come across. Pretty sure it's a universal thing. I do a fair bit of riding in the U.S. each year... get the waves all the time.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

yeah i agree with the not getting a wave back but its all good and i share the same mentality as piotrek, salute at it all. Haha it is true as the first few weeks its go time and excitement is in the air

Edited by justin
  • Thumbsup 2

I see lots of waves, including riders by their parked bikes. In fact, this weekend I was out on the Feather River Canyon and I stopped with my wife for a picnic lunch. There was another biker couple on the next table over, and we got and gave lots of waves as we lunched. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

I find that most people wave over here, with the one exception - it's generally the group that, and I can only summise, see themselves as 'better' or 'tougher' or more 'entitled' in some way than the rest of us!?

Easily identified - usually don't wear ATGATT, lots of hair on the face, big buckle belt, Johny Reb boots (more buckles), loudest pipes available, lots of chrome, travel in packs for self assurance/validation, etc, etc.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, dazzler24 said:

Easily identified - usually don't wear ATGATT, lots of hair on the face, big buckle belt, Johny Reb boots (more buckles), loudest pipes available, lots of chrome, travel in packs for self assurance/validation, etc, etc.

And some of the Blokes are a bit ordinary-looking too, dazz.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Here in Northern OZ I find that riders on a certain American-made bike brand are loath to wave.

It's really uncanny: in a pack, the guy on the Suzuki Boulevard might wave but the guys on Hogs just can't bring themselves to as they go past in a rage of noise and unburned hydro carbons.

I usually wave at everybody, including parked riders.  Why not?

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Nodding at oncoming riders is more common here. We’re jolly sophisticated over here you know 💂🏻‍♂️

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, koth442 said:

I wave at everyone, parked or riding. 

It's pretty common for the Harley goofs to ignore the wave in the US too. 

My name is Fddriver and I'm a waver. (sounds like an introduction at an AA meeting, not that I would know, just saying )

Sometimes people wave back, sometimes they don't. In my experience it's a mixed bag as to who waves back. Sometimes it's the HD people who don't, sometimes it's the sport people who don't. I don't take it personal. 🙋‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Here in the motorcycle state of Florida, I get waves from everyone with a few exceptions. I'll get waves from 1 out of 10 Harley riders. About 1 out of 5 for BMW riders. Guys riding Japanese cruisers wave all the time. When I get the Harley waves, it usually catches me off guard.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, BBB said:

Nodding at oncoming riders is more common here. We’re jolly sophisticated over here you know 💂🏻‍♂️

...and after all, it's the thought that counts 😜

• Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif