Can you see me now?

2linby

Buddy of mine let me try his new R3 "Stich" in Orange and yellow for sizing purposes. I'm replacing a 13 year old Roadcrafter in Hi-VIz with a new style unlined R3 probably in Hi-Viz yellow again. But ywhat ta think about this "orange-cycle"......

597F9897-1BA6-4447-8ABA-0994BBE7CE1B.jpeg

Edited by 2linby
Spelling
  • Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Does that come with coupons for fixodent in the pockets?

I tried putting that into Google Translate and the only result I got was "WTF?" 🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

50 minutes ago, betoney said:

I tried putting that into Google Translate and the only result I got was "WTF?" 🤷‍♀️

Yeah me too, I have no idea on that one!  

I think car drivers who state "I haven't seen the motorcyclist coming" they daydreams while they drive so they wouldn't be able to see a train coming. Wearing colorful gear like this won't save us...

Edited by TheBigG

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 2linby said:

Buddy of mine let me try his new R3 "Stich" in Orange and yellow for sizing purposes. 

The good news is you can return it to him and you don't need a receipt. 😄

Hi-Viz yellow with grey or black is one thing but mixing the yellow and orange is just TOO LOUD.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Like the orange. Goes well with the gray bike. 

What do you think of the R3 compared to the Classic?

I have an R3 as well as a 2-piece Classic. The R3 is a great suit, and the fact that it's unlined makes it more comfortable in hot weather. But most of the time I still prefer my Classic because it's a 2-piece. The 2-piece design is better and easier to live with in almost every way. I really wish they made a 2-piece R3. 

That orange and yellow is... interesting. Not my cup-o-tea! 

46 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Like the orange. Goes well with the gray bike. 

What do you think of the R3 compared to the Classic?

My current suit is 13 years old, so its very well broken in and the R3 is almost brand new and stiff as hell. They take a long time to break in. That being said, it is much lighter without the liner. Zippers are the seal behind waterproof style, grommeted hole for electrics power cord, better adjustments for pads as they are velcro'd in place, not pockets, button down collars, magnets to fold the collars open (kinda weird) hanging loop is on the outside, inside cell phone pocket, knees are different, stick out more on the R3 than the road-crafter. The main difference is the weight and insulation. Should be much cooler in the spring, summer and fall, but lacking in the winter riding. But I have an electric liner. Zippers are different, as they are slower and I think over time they will be more prone to failure. so maybe more care involved in maintenance of them. Lubing the zippers and keeping them clean is very important on these suits as replacing the zippers is not cheap and takes forever to get your suit back from the factory. Cordura is the same weight, thickness, protection. So ridablity and protection should be the same. Although I hope to never find out! The zippers though, (so I am told by R3 riders) is the big improvement. Absolutely waterproof. (so they say) My road-crafter will leak in the crotch and under the arms after 4-5 hours of riding in the rain. I just ordered the suit in Hi-Viz with Black ballistics. 10-12 weeks they say, but i hope sooner (fingers crossed). In the meantime I have my old roadcrafter and will keep it as a back up or for another rider, if necessary. Not cheap, over $1200 bucks, but I get a rider trainer 15% discount and I figure the 13 years of protection I got out of the old one amounted to be less than $100 a year in riding gear and hoping this is the same, its well worth it for a full time rider. And yes the Onesy suits are funny looking, but I can never, ever, forgot to wear my pants! Hope this helps.

Edited by 2linby
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't let em get too ya.  I know for a fact that people see me coming A LOT better in my Hi Viz Green jacket, helmet and gloves. 

I have repeatedly had cars start to pull out in front of me and grind to a stop once that dayglow green thing computes as a motorcycle rider.

You have only one life to give.  Don't give to someone else's notion of motorcycle fashion!

For more on this topic see my blog entry "Going Green" on this web site.

And to all you studs wearing camo, stop driving up my insurance premium!  :)

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 4
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, 2linby said:

Zippers are different, as they are slower and I think over time they will be more prone to failure. so maybe more care involved in maintenance of them. Lubing the zippers and keeping them clean is very important on these suits as replacing the zippers is not cheap and takes forever to get your suit back from the factory.

Yep, my R3 is only three years old and I already broke the main zipper pull. Fortunately it is very easy to replace a broken pull. They sell a replacement kit for $8 and it can be done in about five minutes with some needlenose pliers. I've also replaced both of the wrist zipper pulls on my Classic... those are less easy but still doable with some patience. 

The zippers though, (so I am told by R3 riders) is the big improvement. Absolutely waterproof. (so they say) My road-crafter will leak in the crotch and under the arms after 4-5 hours of riding in the rain. 

I don't agree with that. My 23 year old 2-piece Classic is still more waterproof than my three year old R3. It's just a fundamental problem with the 1-piece design; the material will cause a pool above your crotch, and no zipper is waterproof forever. The 2-piece doesn't have that problem because the front of the jacket overlaps the pants like a shingle. 

I can't compare my R3 to the 1-piece Classic because I've never had one, so I don't know if it's better than that. But anyone who says it's "Absolutely waterproof" is lying or they haven't ridden through an Oregon winter. 

If 75%+ of your riding is in nicer weather - which is probably true for most of us - the R3 is a big improvement over the 1-piece Classic for all the other reasons you mentioned. But if "Absolutely waterproof" is what you need, the 2-piece Classic or Darien are better.