Cruise control light flashing

This info is good timing for me. My cruise wasn't working on a long ride I took yesterday. Went out today and still not working. Fuse checked-out fine. Bike still has stock levers. Did a search on this forum and found this thread. Turned the key on and see my brake lights are on all the time. Must be the switch, eh?  I bought the bike new last June and have 3500 miles on it. Guess I'll call the Yamaha dealer tomorrow.

FIXED!

For me anyway. Felt compelled to go back in the garage, turn the lights on and take another look. Cleaned and lubed front brake controls. No change- brake light still on. Checked cable slack because I had installed risers and rotated bars- seems fine. Only other thing I did in the last two days was lower the shifter pedal and brake pedal to help keep my feet on the pegs. Bingo! I had adjusted the rear brake pedal all the way down, which is past where the rear brake light switch engages. Raised it a bit and my brake light was off. I expect the cruise will work on tomorrow's ride, which hopefully won't be to the dealer.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, supersport said:

Only other thing I did in the last two days was lower the shifter pedal and brake pedal to help keep my feet on the pegs. Bingo! I had adjusted the rear brake pedal all the way down, which is past where the rear brake light switch engages. Raised it a bit and my brake light was off. I expect the cruise will work on tomorrow's ride, which hopefully won't be to the dealer.

If you are having issues with pedal height adjustment and brake light engagement, you could try a hydraulic brake light switch instead.  It completely replaces your existing mechanical brake light switch.  No moving parts so it doesn't get gunked up with road grime and oils and NEVER requires cleaning.

spiegler_brake_light_switch.jpg

Out of all the hydraulic brake light switches on the market, there's only one...

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, betoney said:

If you are having issues with pedal height adjustment and brake light engagement, you could try a hydraulic brake light switch instead.  It completely replaces your existing mechanical brake light switch.  No moving parts so it doesn't get gunked up with road grime and oils and NEVER requires cleaning.

spiegler_brake_light_switch.jpg

Out of all the hydraulic brake light switches on the market, there's only one...

Wow- for only 21 bucks, I'll add one to my next order. Thanks for the info! First I'll see how the brake pedal height is after I install the SCR Adventure foot pegs that are on the way. 

• Thumbsup 1

The hydraulic switches are good, just bear in mind that you’ll probably have to splice into the OEM wiring when you remove the old switch. It’s worth taking your time and sealing the new connections with heat seal as that area gets a lot of spray in wet weather riding. Apart from that, they just work, no adjustment needed.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, BBB said:

The hydraulic switches are good, just bear in mind that you’ll probably have to splice into the OEM wiring when you remove the old switch.

Correct, you WILL need to cut the wiring and splice the new switch in.  It doesn't have a + or -, it just completes a loop so no need to worry about polarity, just splice and seal (heat shrink). - VERY easy installation.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

When my cruise control light was flashing, the problem was the rear brake pedal.  The switch must stick there at times.  I rarely use my rear brake.  I reached down and gave the rear brake pedal a workout with my hand,  I worked it  up and down several times to free it up.  The cruise light on the dash hasn't flashed since that time which was about 6 months ago.  

• Thumbsup 3

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

This just happened to me on my 2019 Tracer GT, 12,500 miles. Mid-ride the cruise control wouldn't engage. Light would just flash. Was in 4th gear or higher.  Searched and found this thread.  I'll try it tmw and update.  Bike is now in garage as the 23lb turkey roasts...

• Like 1

I’ve had my gt for 15 months now and have had this issue since my first trip this time last year. Back then, it only sometimes stopped engaging (started flashing) and turning the ignition off/on sorted it. It got worse in time and it almost never stops flashing now. I’ve been to my dealer for 5 times so far for that particular issue. As some of you mentioned, the front brake is a problem - brake light turns on and off randomly at times when I’m not touching the brake lever. however, apparently it is not the only problem. This week I’ve got an email from Yamaha Turkey that finally there’ll be a calling campaign by the factory for some gts including mine, and that they’re waiting for those parts to arrive - just hoping it doesn’t take that long this time.

• Thumbsup 1

Today, I did find the front brake switch 'stick' causing the cruise control indicator light to begin flashing.

The perplexing issue is, why does the CC indicator light go into flashing mode instead of just remaining on as it does when you disengage the CC while riding?