In retrospect, the music did warn me...

• Premium Member

Your lucky day.  I’m interested to hear how you handled the LEO encounter - do you think anything you said or did contributed to getting let off with a warning? Aside from having the other stuff in order?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

The same approach has worked for me on several occasions too @texscottyd . Clean, well maintained bike, wearing good protective gear, helmet off and quiet demeanour.  We don’t have to carry paperwork so it’s normally just a radio check, a short lecture/ bollocking, quick chat about bikes in general and thats it.

Unfortunately I rarely see police cars anymore, it’s gone over to average speed cameras on popular roads in North Wales. And there’s no arguing with time/distance equations.  

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Sounds like you handled the situation perfectly.  It is always best to be polite and cooperative when stopped by the police.  

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

So fundamentally - good manners.  They cost nothing and are yet worth so much. 👍

Perfectly stated.  I wish everyone shared this perspective...

• Thumbsup 6

In an era where everyone argues with the cops because that seems to be "in",  being friendly will get you farther than anything else. Also, the drunks and fighters never want to remove their helmet, so having the helmet off before the cop gets to you sends a message. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, bamarider said:

I think a head full of gray hair helps too..

Mine mostly turned loose before it turned gray, but same net effect I suppose.   

285 miles today with no further law enforcement contact, so all is well.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Mine mostly turned loose before it turned gray, but same net effect I suppose.   

285 miles today with no further law enforcement contact, so all is well.  

Do you have average speed cameras there? Or Camera vans, (looking very inconspicuous) that park at the side of the road, filming all the speeders?

• Premium Member

It seems that the UK's big brother system is making strong inroads here with speed cameras, especially in urban and suburban areas.  I hate the red light cameras which IMO cause more incidents than they prevent, which has sprung a movement to remove them, more so because they are seen, quite rightly, as revenue generators.  Unrealistic speed limits and cruisers with cameras are still prevalent, however less frequent in the country.  Small boroughs definitely rely on citations for a good bit of their budgets but realize it's a double-edged sword for tourism.

In our wide open spaces, we are subject to police aircraft with their ground partners waiting to wave you over down the road.

On urban freeways and toll roads they leave parked vans with automated speed cameras but in some locals they must track you rolling without necessarily using radar or Lidar.  Several years ago I got nailed in a small Wisconsin town by a parked cop using Lidar (laser).  He sat right where the limit dropped from 45 mph to like 20 in one block.  He was nailing people left and right all day.  More recently me and a bud were hunted down by no less than 4 local yokels (county sheriffs) after they tried to catch up to us for over 8 miles.  They only caught us on a long straightaway where we finally noticed them and slowed down.  My officer cited me for passing more than one vehicle at a time even though he wasn't sure doing so was unlawful.  I stupidly admitting doing so in the correct belief there was nothing specific in the vehicle code excluding it.  He said he could of given another for speeding but admitted when we talked he never got a good clock on us.  I elected to go before a judge with an attorney.  Mysteriously both me and my buds cops recordings of our stops went missing.  Long story short we both got off except for the 300 USD each for our aged lawyer; money well spent.  I should of known better to go squidly on a weekday after 1500 but developed the red mist in my eyes like a youngster that got the better of me.

While I very infrequently get nailed (knock on plastic), I'm always polite, respectful and mindful of the extremely difficult job LEOs have.  On the rare occasions I got caught and had to pay the piper, I thought of it as another road use tax...