2021 GT Updates

Darold

3 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

The front geometry changes also concern me a bit, looks like they made it a bit lazier with more rake and trail. 

Rake is now 25 degrees as opposed to 24 degrees on the 2020.

Trail is 108mm vs 100mm on the 2020.

Overall wheelbase is the same at 59.1".

I honestly don't know much about the mathematics and how it translates to real world handling/performance.

Are the increases above substantial enough to be "felt"?

Rob

Edited by rlambke19
  • Thanks 1

I admit, I am struggling with that dash though.

Instead of one solid area to keep clean - there are now 4. Ugh.

I can't quite tell, but it appears to be a large bolt head smack dab in the middle between the 2 screens. You know, right where your eyes will look when you look down.  :-/ 

dash.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

58 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Rake is now 25 degrees as opposed to 24 degrees on the 2020.

Trail is 108mm vs 100mm on the 2020.

Overall wheelbase is the same at 59.1".

I honestly don't know much about the mathematics and how it translates to real world handling/performance.

Are the increases above substantial enough to be "felt"?

Rob

It can be, I have a motorcycle suspension and suspension design book around here somewhere, and from the last time I went through it it was talking about how minimal changes in the rake/trail cause dramatic effects.  The general vibe is more rake, and more trail, the more stable the bike is but the more lazy it may be in corners.  (There is a reason telescopic forks are used on most bikes because in one key way, they lower the trail when the bike compresses in a turn making steering sharper.) 

Now those numbers above are small changes, very small... but still could impact the sublime steering feel the FJ/MT/Tracers have had.      here is a quick write up on what that means.    The Tracer still has a very aggressive rake for a "touring" bike! 

V5JI2OPEEMFFMNAMEF6VYPTEAY.jpg

Spec charts sometimes quote rake and trail numbers for a...

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

I can't quite tell, but it appears to be a large bolt head smack dab in the middle between the 2 screens. You know, right where your eyes will look when you look down.  😕

dash.jpg

yeah that bolt head... realllly irks me.   But then again if you mount your phone on the center of the bars or on the tank now, you don't have to worry about obscuring the dash!

48 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

I can't quite tell, but it appears to be a large bolt head smack dab in the middle between the 2 screens. You know, right where your eyes will look when you look down.  😕

dash.jpg

I can't judge if there would be room enough to mount a phone in vertical orientation in between the two displays, but that would make for cleaner look than having it on the handlebars. 

1 hour ago, exbandit said:

In the interests of price comparison ... i bought a "new" pre reg demo bike about a month ago for £9500. It was actually registered in the second week of August. It had a few little extras fitted, rad guard, chain guard and tank side gel stickers. Lots of dealers i spoke to were trying to off load the 2020 models asap. Still some unregistered bikes for £10,000 about.

that's how I scored my 2019 GT later last year for 10,500 USD (Vs 12,999 tag price)... they wanted to clear it to get the 2020's in. 

• Thumbsup 3

7 minutes ago, smeller said:

I can't judge if there would be room enough to mount a phone in vertical orientation in between the two displays, but that would make for cleaner look than having it on the handlebars. 

Is it possible that "bolt" in the middle is the 12v socket??    Kinda looks like one the more I look at it. 

14 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Does the new multi screen dash give you Miles to Empty?  That may be worth the $2000 upcharge alone ;)

or at least a tank gauge that doesn't show full tank until it's half empty, like on the 2015 model.. Don't know if that's better on the newer models

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smeller said:

or at least a tank gauge that doesn't show full tank until it's half empty, like on the 2015 model.. Don't know if that's better on the newer models

Yeah same trash gas gauge on up to the 2020's I believe.     I really just got good at resetting the trip meter and average MPG at every fill up and watching that more than the gas gauge... and just knew when I was over 160Miles, that I should start looking for gas stations  :)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Ah, so, stroked engine and 'semi active' suspension.  Interesting.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount