2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Premium Member

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like it. Okay, I'm not a YUGE fan of the styling, but the feature set and improvements are appealing. I'm thinking I might replace my '15 FJ-09 in a year or so, and I've been strongly considering the S1000XR or possibly the new Mulistrada V4. Or, depending on the day of the week I think I need a Super Tenere or R1250RT. But most days the S1000XR is in the lead. 

But the new tech, especially the semi-active suspension and IMU, put the Tracer 9 GT back in the running for me. Improved fuel economy and more power are good things. I know some folks are balking at the $14.9k price, but if I'm considering the S1000XR which is $20k+ before I add luggage, the Yamaha still seems like a bargain. 

• Thumbsup 2

4 minutes ago, keithu said:

I've been strongly considering the S1000XR or possibly the new Mulistrada V4. Or, depending on the day of the week I think I need a Super Tenere or R1250RT. But most days the S1000XR is in the lead. 

You could buy 2 of the new Tracer 9's for one Multistrada V4 :)

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

You could buy 2 of the new Tracer 9's for one Multistrada V4 :)

Exactly. To be honest I was interested in the Multistrada for about 1.2 days after it was announced. Then I came to my senses. 

Back to the Tracer 9, I noticed the Yamaha website says the subframe supports three pieces of luggage. In the past they always recommended running panniers OR a top box, not both. So maybe they've beefed everything up (including the suspension) for more carrying capacity. That would be good for folks who like to ride two-up. 

• Thumbsup 1

Here's the things I noticed spec-wise between the 2020 and 2021 that I don't think have been mentioned yet. These are from their US brochures.

• Slipper clutch is now upshift *and* downshift
  • Tank is 5.0Gal vs previously 4.8Gal
  • Wet weight is 485lb vs 474 previously
  • Same bore, longer stroke
  • Injectors moved to throttle body from cylinder head
  • No mention of cruise control in 2021, but I assume it's still there (Edit mentioned in other parts of the website)
Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 1

So my question about the 2021 is....

Did Yami increase ground clearance to address a major weak point in the FJ/Tracer design???

Here's a crop showing the new exhaust system and oil filter mounting point.  It looks as if the 3-into-1 header provides some protection for the oil pan.  But really hard to tell.  One can only hope!

9gt.png

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

7 minutes ago, keithu said:

Cruise control is now standard on both the Tracer 9 and GT. 

Yeah. You're right. I just noticed mention of it on other parts of the web site as well as seeing the control buttons on one of the stock photos.

I missed this earlier, but it appears there are some changes for rider comfort as well:

“The riding position was designed to accommodate riders of varying physiques and includes a two-level adjustable main seat. The handlebars and footpegs can also be adjusted to two different positions, allowing riders to set a position that gives them a secure feeling the moment they get on the bike. The handlebar clamps can be rotated 10mm forward changing the bar position 9mm forward and 4mm up, and the footpeg mounts can be raised 14mm higher as well as 4mm rearward.”

Edited by colorider
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

image.thumb.png.87b573de913d960914f6174ac6217e9b.png

Gunna say, this dash looks right our of some bike from the 90's.   I have some real aesthetic issues with it. 

I was thinking more like late '70s/early '80s. These were on the 1979 XS1100:

Yamaha-XS1100-2.jpg.222eb5d49437893eb95ea2877b1d15f9.jpg

Most bikes in the 1990s had beautiful instrument clusters, even as paint and graphics began to look like bad acid trips. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, colorider said:

I missed this earlier, but it appears there are some changes for rider comfort as well:

“The riding position was designed to accommodate riders of varying physiques and includes a two-level adjustable main seat. The handlebars and footpegs can also be adjusted to two different positions, allowing riders to set a position that gives them a secure feeling the moment they get on the bike. The handlebar clamps can be rotated 10mm forward changing the bar position 9mm forward and 4mm up, and the footpeg mounts can be raised 14mm higher as well as 4mm rearward.”

The adjustable seat and handlebars are not new, but the adjustable footpegs are. 

• Thumbsup 2

Glad I bought a 2020! Nice that it has  electronic suspension, up/down quick shifter, but ugly bags- FJR bags on mine look way better imo, and cornering lights-eh. Had them on the FJR and no biggie. Definitely could live without them. Not a fan of the split dash either. Not really sure where Yamaha was trying to go with this re-design. Front end is confusing..

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, madsquabbles said:

Maybe I missed it but is there a 21 tracer 9 and a 21 GT?  Mentioned few posts up.  

There is nothing listed on the Yamaha website showing a base Tracer anymore.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Now it is a feature-for-feature direct competitor to the Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+ but is about 80lbs lighter and $3,300 cheaper. 👍

I'll be curious to watch/read a ride report comparison between the two bikes.

The side bags look a little funky but the rest of the bike is ok to me.  The new model has about everything you could need for sport touring, I like it.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***