2021 GT Updates

Darold

Well done Yamaha, I'll go against the consensus here and say that I am overall quite impressed. Very obvious that Yamaha is taking this platform seriously for the long haul, still have no regrets "at this point" on the purchase of my very fine, FUN and sweet running 2020. :) It's most certainly more on par with the Multistrada in terms of features, but of course in a much more reliable and longer lasting package......I expect Kawasaki to upgrade the Versys 1000 soon. 

• Thumbsup 4

42 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

^ I hate articles like that, it's just regurgitated bs from a yamaha press release without any thought or insight.

I once considered subscriptions to multiple motorcycle magazines. Until I compared the magazines.....they have the same articles, basically edited press releases. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, daboo said:

I'm just saying that you already have an excellent bike. 

Man you sound like my wife.

5 hours ago, daboo said:

it sounds cool when you're trying to justify why you spent $15K to buy this new bike...after the trade-in.

Why would I spend that much? In May 2015 I rode my FJ-09 OTD for less than MSRP, and that included title, four years of registration, and an accessory (heated grips). There's no sales tax in Oregon and my local dealer doesn't try to pile on fees like freight/setup. Even without a trade-in I would expect to spend less than $15k for this.

5 hours ago, daboo said:

But it is your money, not mine. 

As you say.

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, betoney said:

There is nothing listed on the Yamaha website showing a base Tracer anymore.

No, but at the end of the Yamaha promo video it says "Tracer 9 & Tracer 9 GT" - and I think the red bike in the video has black forks. I'd have to watch it again to confirm.

Rob

11 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, both bikes have funky looking/angled side bags, not a fan of either.

I had the Kawi bags on my Ninja 1000 and they are very functional - certainly hold more than the Yamaha City bags do.

I actually don't mind the look of the new Tracer 9 bags. They do look like they are just hanging out there though. Yamaha mentions something about a new "free floating" rack system. Maybe something similar to the way the Triumph Sprint bags move side-to-side when the bike leans. 

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

Greetings from Europe, Sweden (land of IKEA and Volvo).

I own 2016 Yamaha MT-09, today I put an order on a red Tracer 9 GT. Delivery in March. I like the design and the new updates.

I can confirm there is both Tracer 9 (black forks) and 9 GT (golden forks) available for Sweden.

Edited by Zafiro
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Well done Yamaha, I'll go against the consensus here and say that I am overall quite impressed.....I expect Kawasaki to upgrade the Versys 1000 soon. 

????   The SE LT+ introduced in 2019 has all the upgrades.   

Edited by colorider
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Newer is better, as I'm all function over form.  Why they extended the body color past and below the tank is beyond me and the most hideous design aspect.  If I got one I'd immediately paint the "side covers" black or wrap them in vinyl and Stomp Grips...  Everything else I can ignore if it functions OK but I'll stick with my fastest Red 15 for a few more years, as it only has 42k miles though I bought it in July 16 for $7,800 new plus tax & license plates.  I added Shad panniers and top case rack (I had a SH46 top case already), Matt's fork work & modified Razor R shock, XSR slipp / assist clutch, OEM heated grips, 4 Yr extended warranty I've never needed), Givi case guards, have 3 different size screens, KTM hand guards, different bars, McCruise, R1 rotors & radial MC and Spiegler SS lines and better pads (which even the 21 can't match), twin LED driving lights and F&R LED TS/RL, highway pegs, etc, etc.,etc. that I add to every bike

And still all these improvements to my 15 didn't add up to much over $3K USD, and the 21 doesn't have many of my mods though it has a bit more power and mileage, the IMU and yet TBD electro suspension.  So as someone who rode 50s and 60s bikes and didn't buy a new bike till 80, I'm not convinced all the new tech is needed.

And if you think ANY FJ/Tracer can stay close in acceleration / speed if not also handling to ANY BMW S1000 XR, you are sadly mistaken!

In more sad news...

yamaha-finally-unveils-new-yzf-r6.jpg

Goodbye forever or only for now?

12 hours ago, betoney said:

Now it is a feature-for-feature direct competitor to the Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+ but is about 80lbs lighter and $3,300 cheaper. 👍

I'll be curious to watch/read a ride report comparison between the two bikes.

The side bags look a little funky but the rest of the bike is ok to me.  The new model has about everything you could need for sport touring, I like it.

As an owner of a SE LT+, I was thinking the same thing.  But in looking at the Tracer 9 specs and features, I’m not sure the electronic suspension is the same.  Perhaps I missed it, but I didn’t see that the Tracer offered different preloads for passenger and/or luggage.  
There are a few other differences as well that may or may not be important to some riders.  For two-up riding, the big Versys would still be my choice.  

Edited by colorider
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

And if you think ANY FJ/Tracer can stay close in acceleration / speed if not also handling to ANY BMW S1000 XR, you are sadly mistaken!

Probably true. The S1000XR is still on my list, just not at the top of it right now. The Tracer will never have the power of the BMW, but it'll be interesting to see how this new suspension performs. 

Believe it or not I'm still riding around on the stock suspension on my '15 FJ-09. The prospect of spending $1000+ on suspension upgrades puts another tick mark in the "maybe I should just trade it in on something new" column. I can afford the S1000XR if I decide that's what I want, and I'm not paranoid about BMW reliability despite past experience. But right now it seems like the new Tracer offers everything the BMW has except some horsepower for about $6-7k less. 

3 hours ago, colorider said:

????   The SE LT+ introduced in 2019 has all the upgrades.   

It needs to lose some weight IMHO, I hear plenty of other niggles from owners as well......and damn it's pricey.

Edited by Ride365

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Newer is better, as I'm all function over form.  Why they extended the body color past and below the tank is beyond me and the most hideous design aspect.  If I got one I'd immediately paint the "side covers" black or wrap them in vinyl and Stomp Grips...  Everything else I can ignore if it functions OK but I'll stick with my fastest Red 15 for a few more years, as it only has 42k miles though I bought it in July 16 for $7,800 new plus tax & license plates.  I added Shad panniers and top case rack (I had a SH46 top case already), Matt's fork work & modified Razor R shock, XSR slipp / assist clutch, Givi case guards, have 3 different size screens, KTM hand guards, different bars, McCruise, R1 rotors & radial MC and Spiegler SS lines and better pads (which even the 21 can't match), twin LED driving lights and F&R LED TS/RL, highway pegs, etc, etc.,etc. that I add to every bike

And still all these improvements to my 15 didn't add up to much over $3K USD, and the 21 doesn't have many of my mods though it has a bit more power and mileage, the IMU and yet TBD electro suspension.  So as someone who rode 50s and 60s bikes and didn't buy a new bike till 80, I'm not convinced all the new tech is needed.

In more sad news...

yamaha-finally-unveils-new-yzf-r6.jpg

Goodbye forever or only for now?

Meh have no desire to own that BMW, it's faster and perhaps handles better overall.......but there are always other trade offs. I almost pulled the trigger on a 16 Multistrada S before buying my GT, but my head thankfully overtook my heartstrings.