2021 GT Updates

Darold

On 11/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, wordsmith said:

Thanks, betoney.   I would heartily recommend at least a test-ride on the 2021 SP.   I have found my 2020 to be an excellent little fun machine, emphasis on 'little', for after a Tracer GT or BMW R9T it does look quite petite.   The lower seat height at 820mm or so suits me very well, as does the light weight at 192kg.   It turns on a dime, as they say, and is incredibly light and 'flickable' to steer. 

Nobody has yet explained what the 'SP' stands for, but a suggested 'Special Paint' may not be far off the mark, for the seam-free paint job on the tank - all paint, no stickers or transfers or decals - is quite superb, Rolls Royce quality I'd say.

The 2021 SP models with cruise-control add another level of sophistication that some/ many may appreciate, despite the SP not being designed as a touring machine when c.c. might be almost compulsory, while the modest 14L tank capacity may be a turn-off for some.   

Don't get me wrong - I'd have another GT in a heartbeat if I could mount and dismount more easily than I'm nowadays able to.  Meantime, the SP will suit me very well, especially as my long-distance touring with day-in day-out riding is a thing of the past... (sob!).

P1070264.JPG

P1070266.JPG

Glad to see you're back!

That paint looks awesome; so sparkly!  I like the metallic black (it's on the 2020 Tracer as well) but those blue stripes!  

Is the white all pearly as well?  I loved that pearl white so much on my 2018 MT07.

38 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Glad to see you're back!

That paint looks awesome; so sparkly!  I like the metallic black (it's on the 2020 Tracer as well) but those blue stripes!  

Is the white all pearly as well?  I loved that pearl white so much on my 2018 MT07.

Did you mean the 2019 black & blue Tracer has the black metallic paint? I thought the 2020 black (with red) had the satin/matte finish.

Rob

Edited by rlambke19

42 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

No, the black and red/orange 2020 has metallic paint on the tank.  

Hmm...that's odd. I haven't seen one in person,  but from all the pictures and comments on here, I assumed it was satin/matte. It sure doesn't look like it has a clear coat finish.

Rob 

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Glad to see you're back!

The 'white' on my SP is actually very light almost-white silver - it really sets-off the adjoining black.   You can just see the contrast with the white SP-09 logo on the blue stripe on the tank.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, NTB91 said:

Looks like it's the design from the 'leak photos'. Pretty similar, almost the same front end. 

Screenshot_20201116-164639_Instagram.jpg

Oh I thought I am posting on '2021 GT updates' , not the 'Color and Paint discussion' thread. 

18 hours ago, NTB91 said:

Looks like it's the design from the 'leak photos'. Pretty similar, almost the same front end. 

Screenshot_20201116-164639_Instagram.jpg

Well looks like announcing this week like I thought.  Awesome, is this at there website or somewhere else? I hope the release date is more like January instead of March, but guess we will see! 

Nice upgraded specs, pretty significant jump in price ( I bought a late season 2019 last year, and paid  a bit under 11K before tax for it.)     Not thrilled with the looks (the cases bug me for some reason more than any other part.    But overall a nice evolution and seems to be closing the gap in features from the FJR and the Tracer.   The electronic suspension is awesome though... I do wish I had that :)    But ohh well...  Going to throw full Ohlins on my 2019 instead.

The front geometry changes also concern me a bit, looks like they made it a bit lazier with more rake and trail. 

Edited by Clegg78

8 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

image.thumb.png.87b573de913d960914f6174ac6217e9b.png

Gunna say, this dash looks right our of some bike from the 90's.   I have some real aesthetic issues with it. 

Yea not sure I am a real fan of that dash.  Guess I will have to see what it is like in person.  What’s killing me is the price! 15k! Electronic suspension I guess is cool but man... was hoping for a bit lower price.  

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, SalarymanJ said:

Yea not sure I am a real fan of that dash.  Guess I will have to see what it is like in person.  What’s killing me is the price! 15k! Electronic suspension I guess is cool but man... was hoping for a bit lower price.  

yeah its clear Yamaha is moving it into Ducati territory in price (and features). 

On the plus side - I am digging the idea of buying the OEM turn signals, and that Nissin radial master cyl that in theory would be compatible with the ~2019-2020 bikes with cruise cut off and such. 

Personally speaking, it looks fabulous. The improved spec is impressive. I think you just learn to live with any minor niggles with styling etc, when the overall package is so complete. There are no prices quoted yet in the UK, but i would have to guess a reasonable increase due to the added electronics etc. Whilst i note the adverts do say you can fit a full face helmet in the pannier, i believe the pannier may be shorter than before, though deeper. Unless i'm mistaken, the rear foot pegs look to be farther back than before, increasing the gap to the rider pegs? There has been a lot of comment about the tight dimensions for the riders feet and clashes with the pillion pegs, so they may have killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Deeper/shorter panniers to hold a helmet and give the rider more foot room? I notice there seems to be no mention of the "litres" capacity of the new panniers. The new clocks are interesting, full marks for doing something slightly different. Anything to divert your gaze away from the horrible exhaust is a good thing.

I'd  have to believe with the overall spec and upgraded electronics, suspension etc, then the new 9GT will be king of the class ... price depending.

i'll stick with my 2020 900GT. Super competant bargain.

• Thumbsup 4