2021 GT Updates

Darold

17 hours ago, Blue Wheels said:

correctomundo.  I owned an FJR when I bought the Tracer GT.  The bags from one to another fit perfectly.  The FJR removeable bags wouldn't fit inside the Tracer cases, however.  They were too fat.

I have the FJR inner bags that I use with my City cases. They work - you have to work a bit to get them tucked in - but it's better than nothing. Yamaha sells them as bag liners for the Tracer.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, wordsmith said:

AUD$1750 here - good value.

How do you like the SP suspension compared to you previous K-Tech suspension?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

At the moment, not as compliant as on my K-TECH-upgraded GT, but appreciably better than stock Tracers from memory and the ex-factory GT .    But it cost me AUD$2100 to get there!   As a matter of interest I'm taking the SP to my suspension guru tomorrow (Friday the 13th!!) for him to fine-tune it for me.   At a cost of only AUD$30 he did the same on my last OHLINS-equipped BMW R9T, of unhappy memory, and made that OK ride into an appreciably better place to be.   He'll be able to do the same with the SP I'm sure - I shall report back. 

• Thumbsup 4

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

49 minutes ago, SalarymanJ said:

Yamaha announced 2021 MT-10 and MT-03 this week so doesn’t leave much left.  Maybe we will get the tracer announcement next week. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/12/2020 at 3:28 AM, betoney said:

Having just returned home from having the stock KYB front and Ohlins rear suspension on my new MT-09 SP 'tweaked' to my satisfaction I can report back.   Joe Slater at Ride Dynamics took 15 minutes and $30 to work his magic, and I am very satisfied with the result after an admittedly short 35km ride home - albeit over some varying road surfaces.    It has been quite some time - well over a year - since Joe last upgraded my Tracer 900 GT with $2100 worth of K-Tech suspension components and work, so it would be foolish to try to recall my first impressions then with first impressions now: suffice to say I'm happy!  

Joe's Ride Dynamics workshop is immaculately clean and of the 'a place for everything and everything in its place' standard, with an impressive amount of professional tools to help things along.   I hopped on and off twice while he measured sag, and set-to with spanners and screwdrivers.   One learns something every day - I was quite unaware that there's an adjustment point for fast and slow compression at the very bottom of each fork leg - never noticed it before!

I advised Joe that I was after a smoother more compliant ride rather than pin-sharp handling - the SP has very sharp handling and very light and 'flickable' steering anyway out of the box.   To my inexperienced bum, the stock Ohlins rear shock seemed a bit harsh, and at times the front 'pitter-pattered' as if riding over closely-spaced small corrugations.   The front and rear of the bike also didn't feel well-matched (is as good as I can put it), but everything seems very sweet now.   The transition over irregularities in the road surface seems much smoother, with no pitching front or rear.

The stock SP seat is a shocker (IMHO) so the early arrival from Italy of my new BAGSTER seat should put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.   This was certainly the case before on my late Tracer 900 GT with its then-new K-Tech aftermarket suspension installed and tuned at Ride Dynamics, and I'll then be a very happy bunny! 

P1070261.JPG

P1070262.JPG

P1070263.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith - Thanks for the update.  The SP is quite an impressive package and for 2021 will finally be available in the U.S. for the first time.  The higher spec suspension is the icing on the cake and IMHO, how all bikes should be outfitted from the factory.

Glad you are enjoying the new ride. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, betoney.   I would heartily recommend at least a test-ride on the 2021 SP.   I have found my 2020 to be an excellent little fun machine, emphasis on 'little', for after a Tracer GT or BMW R9T it does look quite petite.   The lower seat height at 820mm or so suits me very well, as does the light weight at 192kg.   It turns on a dime, as they say, and is incredibly light and 'flickable' to steer. 

Nobody has yet explained what the 'SP' stands for, but a suggested 'Special Paint' may not be far off the mark, for the seam-free paint job on the tank - all paint, no stickers or transfers or decals - is quite superb, Rolls Royce quality I'd say.

The 2021 SP models with cruise-control add another level of sophistication that some/ many may appreciate, despite the SP not being designed as a touring machine when c.c. might be almost compulsory, while the modest 14L tank capacity may be a turn-off for some.   

Don't get me wrong - I'd have another GT in a heartbeat if I could mount and dismount more easily than I'm nowadays able to.  Meantime, the SP will suit me very well, especially as my long-distance touring with day-in day-out riding is a thing of the past... (sob!).

P1070264.JPG

P1070266.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith I'm glad to see you are back with us full time🙂The paint on the SP tank sure puts the GT to shame. Looking forward to seeing what you do to her in the future, Enjoy👍

• Thumbsup 5

He who dies with the most toys wins.

5 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

@wordsmith I'm glad to see you are back with is full time🙂The paint on the SP tank sure puts the GT to shame. Looking forward to seeing what you do to her in the future, Enjoy👍

I agree about the finish on the SP above - wow!

Shouldn't this be how all vehicles that cost what bikes do nowadays are painted/finished? Having to pay premium on top of already expensive vehicles seems silly. But of course, I would. 🙂

Rob 

• Thumbsup 3

On 11/13/2020 at 10:20 AM, rlambke19 said:

I agree about the finish on the SP above - wow!

Shouldn't this be how all vehicles that cost what bikes do nowadays are painted/finished? Having to pay premium on top of already expensive vehicles seems silly. But of course, I would. 🙂

Rob 

I would add that it would have been nice to have just a tank on the Tracer, and not the plastic cover over half of it...

• Thumbsup 1

55 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I would add that it would have been nice to have just a tank on the Tracer, and not the plastic cover over half of it...

Its a sacrificial part to protect the tank when you drop it.