Traded my Tracer 900 GT.....happy and sad.

Michiel900GT

I heard they were very vibey because of the new firing order,i hope that isn't the case for you,iv'e just had to sell 2 bikes in the last few years because of this but i also heard on the new tiger the vibes are quite high up in the revs so you should be ok.

2 hours ago, yamtracergaz said:

I heard they were very vibey because of the new firing order,i hope that isn't the case for you,iv'e just had to sell 2 bikes in the last few years because of this but i also heard on the new tiger the vibes are quite high up in the revs so you should be ok.

It is more vibey than the 800 - Triumph had to go and give it "character."

yes i liked the 800[had 4 of them] but sold every triumph i ever owned all for the same reason,they are 4 times more expensive to service than my yamaha and when i go to my yamaha dealer you can see all the mechanics behind a massive glass wall [nothing to hide] serviced by people who know what they are doing unlike at least 4 triumph dealers that i have dealt with who i would not trust to blow up my tyres.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, yamtracergaz said:

yes i liked the 800[had 4 of them] but sold every triumph i ever owned all for the same reason,they are 4 times more expensive to service than my yamaha and when i go to my yamaha dealer you can see all the mechanics behind a massive glass wall [nothing to hide] serviced by people who know what they are doing unlike at least 4 triumph dealers that i have dealt with who i would not trust to blow up my tyres.

I agree. I like my dealers to offer a view of the workshop. My current multi-brand dealer doesn't offer that unfortunately. In fact, he's quite strict in not having anybody in or near  the workshop.

Luckily the Triumph dealer does offer this.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

I agree. I like my dealers to offer a view of the workshop. My current multi-brand dealer doesn't offer that unfortunately. In fact, he's quite strict in not having anybody in or near  the workshop.

Luckily the Triumph dealer does offer this.

Please keep us informed as to how you get on with the new bike.
And Amsterdam is great fun on a motorcycle, I had such a great race around the centre for 15 minutes with a motorcycle courier a couple of years ago.

Euro Strom Trip Feb 2012 013.jpg

• Supporting Member
On 9/15/2020 at 11:33 AM, Michiel900GT said:

...I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't the bike for me. 

I find it to be too sporty and too little tour...

Fair and honest assessment.    That sport-tour mix is actually the reason that I DO like the FJ/Tracer so much...  It’s a fine line that Yamaha is trying to walk with these bikes.  

A sincere congratulations to you on the new Triumph!   It looks like a fantastic motorcycle. 

• Thumbsup 3

I picked up the Tiger on Friday afternoon. In just over 2 days I did 800km. I must say I love the bike.

Compared to the Tracer it is more touring oriented. The Tracer is definitely more agile when it comes to cornering and turning, but I feel more confident on the Tiger.

All in all I'm very pleased with the Tiger so far.

If I could afford it I would have kept my Tracer as well, just because I love the looks and it is great for faster riding.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:26 AM, kilo3 said:

Get used to hearing that when you need parts :(.

Best of luck.

This!  One of the prime reasons I bailed on triumph after 9 years, everything took min of 2 weeks to get even common parts.   

but besides that, I did love my triumph! 

• Supporting Member
On 9/22/2020 at 2:41 AM, Michiel900GT said:

I picked up the Tiger on Friday afternoon. In just over 2 days I did 800km. I must say I love the bike.

Compared to the Tracer it is more touring oriented. The Tracer is definitely more agile when it comes to cornering and turning, but I feel more confident on the Tiger.

I'm glad you are loving the new bike but that comment has me curious, What aspect is 'touring oriented' about the Tiger? and what made you decide on the dirt oriented Rally Pro vs the street oriented GT Pro?

As long as it works for you, enjoy the new ride! 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Sweet ride; congrats!!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

15 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm glad you are loving the new bike but that comment has me curious, What aspect is 'touring oriented' about the Tiger? and what made you decide on the dirt oriented Rally Pro vs the street oriented GT Pro?

As long as it works for you, enjoy the new ride! 👍

There are a few reasons why I personally find the Tiger to be more touring oriented.

The main reason is the riding position. With a more upright position and a bigger leg/knee angle it is just more comfortable to ride for longer periods. 

The second reason is the comfort the seat provides. I find there’s less tendency to slide forward on the seat and it’s more supportive than the stock Tracer seat. Of course, when riding long enough one starts experiencing some saddle pain (not sure if that term translates well from Dutch), but for me I was able to ride for several hours (5+) before I was getting a bit of a numb behind.

Another reason is the fact that the Tiger has a torque characteristic that is a bit less sporty than the Tracer. The Tracer really comes to life from 5000 rpm and up. And from 5000 to 10000 rpm the Tracer is so much fun to ride. But I’m not a big fan of high revs for prolonged riding. The Tiger behaves more like a big twin, inviting the driver to relaxed riding by providing torque from low revs. It’s just a personal preference, but for me I like to drive rather more relaxed than I like to ride sporty.

The final reason (again a personal one) is the fact that the Tiger has a very different frame and wheelbase geometry when compared to the Tracer, resulting in very different cornering behavior. Yes, it does take more effort to let the Tiger “fall” into a corner than a Tracer. But the Tiger is tends to be more steady in corners. It follows exactly the line you planned for it to follow.

It does hav a drawback though: the Tracer allows you to “throw” it from one corner into another very easily. It’s steering is more agile and great for very tight turning. That being said, the Tiger is not slow in cornering either, but just not as sporty and agile like the Tracer.

I can think of a lot of comparisons to express the difference between the Tiger and the Tracer. But if they were dogs, the Tiger would be a Labrador: friendly, calm, willing to play but at the end of the day just a relaxed dog that wants to serve you. Where as the Tracer would be more like a Husky: full of energy, challenging you to push it to the max and with more attitude. 

I’m more the Labrador owner.

Why I choose the Rally Pro over the GT Pro? I did like the riding position of the Rally Pro better. It’s higher and the steering bar is wider and more forward resulting in a better position for my back. Another reason was the fact that I found the suspension better. It has a longer travel. The GT Pro has electric rear suspension but I had to put its preload into at least “ rider + luggage” mode and the damping into sporty. Otherwise I would hit the end of the travel when riding over speed bumps at moderate speeds. And I’m not too heavy (83 kilo). 

To be honest, the steering bar of the Rally Pro is a bit far away from your body. It is meant to be, as it should also be in a good position when standing upright during off-road riding. But after a riding it for a whole day I do tend to feel a bit of a burning spot between the shoulders. I will be putting 2” risers on the bike anytime soon as I think that would solve this.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately, while driving a 160km tourride I encountered a problem. The quickshifter broke down....

So I detoured to the dealer and they have ordered the part. I have an appointment for the first 1000km service in 1.5 week so they will replace it then. 

Hope this is not a sign of the build quality.

• Confused 1