Winterizing

2 hours ago, BBB said:

Interesting recent opinion on fuel stabilizers from FortNine

That was interesting.  If his results are accurate, you could possibly do more harm than good by using certain products.  I have always used Stabil.  It helps that my bikes spend winter in an unfinished portion of my basement where the temperature never drops below 55 degrees.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I go to a gas station that sells 100% gas. If you get that and add any of these solutions you should have a normal start up in the spring.  100% burns better, stores better, smells better. 

• Thumbsup 5

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, SleepyC said:

I go to a gas station that sells 100% gas. If you get that and add any of these solutions you should have a normal start up in the spring.  100% burns better, stores better, smells better. 

You need this non ethanol gas for your snowblowers, mowers, chain saws, etc.  I don't add stabilizer when I use the good gas.  No problems, ever.  Usually start first pull on the starter rope.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, fjray said:

You need this non ethanol gas for your snowblowers, mowers, chain saws, etc.  I don't add stabilizer when I use the good gas.  No problems, ever.  Usually start first pull on the starter rope.

Yes getting 100% gas works 99% of the time, but if yiou have an area of high humidity (like end of wionter when teh temps goes up and down quite a bit) the fuel additives help repel water and condensation which can help a bike start i the spring.

My experience has been the bike is easier to start in the spring without stabilizers, so I don't use them contrary to what everyone tells me. I always use non-ethanol gas, not necessarily intentionally.  I always use high grade and in my area the high grade is always ethanol free.  I attribute that to being some sort of scam to get teetotalers to spend more. 

My conclusion to the F9 video is that just stick with non-ethanol and forget the stabilizer.  Those F9 videos are very good at letting you draw your conclusions.  For example the chain lube, he said to just use gear oil, but my conclusion from his tests was to use the best of the actual chain lubes.  I am willing to live with a little dirt pickup so as to not have oil flinging all over the place.  So if my chain only lasts 5 years instead of 6, then my yearly chain budget will be $25 instead of $20.

• Thumbsup 1

I don't disagree with using non ethanol gas and passing on the fuel stabilizer.

However I have used whatever quality fuel is available and Stabil fuel stabilizer since 2002 and my bikes fire right up on the first push of the starter button after sitting for months.  No adverse issues.  It works just fine if you can't find 100% gas.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Fortunately there's a Shell station near my house, so no ethanol for me, thanks (especially when winterizing).

I've had some interesting experiences with ethanol and non-ethanol fuel.  I'm sure someone with a stronger background in chemistry than I can correct or chime in, but this is my anecdote:

• 1980 Porsche 928 - survivor car, FI, unmodified:  in older cars, DO NOT RUN ethanol blends.  There is a misconception that ethanol 'melt's' the fuel lines, but that's barely a half truth.  This vehicle was manufactured before ethanol blends, and so the rubber compounds weren't designed to resist.  As a result, ethanol blends will 'soften' the rubber, exposing a potential weak spot in the line (a slight kink or section weakened by vibration/friction) - but they do not melt or dissolve.  There are multiple accounts of older Porsches, Ferrari's etc burning to the ground because of a fuel leak.  Not really a fault of manufacturing, but updating to silicon fuel lines solves the problem easily and cheaply.  Older vehicles just need to be updated - problem solved.
  • 2001 Mazda Tribute, FI (daily driver):  I have logged nearly 300,000 kms (~186k miles) in this vehicle, and it's still in the fleet, semi retired in a different province when I fly to visit family (which is - or was -  several times a year).  I ran non-ethanol for several years, and noticed it would run rough on start up, especially on cold days, sometimes stalling on launch (manual trans).  Switching to an ethanol blend smoothed that right out.  I replaced spark plugs and wires, the coil, updated firmware, replaced the fuel filter, air filter, you name it - but running ethanol blends are much smoother in this vehicle and there is no stumble at all on a cold start.
  • 83 Honda Nighthawk 550c:  carbureted.  Made the mistake(s) of leaving an ethanol blend in the tank, therefore in the carbs/float bowls as well, and had to clean the crud out of all four carbs every spring.

Ethanol blends do not store very well!!  I generally try to avoid storing any vehicle with an ethanol fuel in the tank for much longer than about 3 months.  In a pinch, some octane boost has worked for me, otherwise it's a bit of Stabil or Seafoam (or both).  Wait too long and, untreated,  it just turns to muddy water, simply losing octane over time.  Sure, many newer vehicles today - especially Flex Fuel vehicles - can and do run ethanol better than a non-ethanol blended fuel, but there are circumstances where a blended fuel is simply a bad idea:  older vehicles, carbureted, or long-ish storage.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

This is the first motor I've ever owned that I haven't fogged during the off season.

I started dismantling the bike to get to the airbox and gave up after about an half hour. Holy buckets, what an ordeal! We'll cross that bridge at the 20K mark or whenevery the manual calls for a air filter replacement.

I do use Stabil though, along with non-oxy gas (always).

In the fall and spring I always use Techron Fuel System cleaner. I  swear by this stuff.

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

I started dismantling the bike to get to the airbox and gave up after about an half hour. Holy buckets, what an ordeal! We'll cross that bridge at the 20K mark or whenevery the manual calls for a air filter replacement.

It might seem overwhelming the first time but after you have done it once or twice and make sense of the panel fitment, on future attempts you can easily have access to the airbox in less than 10 minutes.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

For E0 I'd have to drive my cage to SE WI and fill 3 five gallon cans for mothballing, much more for the snow throwers (this year is the first time in 33 years I never took them out, hired our lawn maintenance contractor which is SUPER WEIRD for me and they don't do as good a job as me; 2,200 square feet of paving though and this winter has been bad, so Kismet?) 

I use Chevron Techron all year, Stabil Marine and Lucas's stuff, and now the Chevron Techron Small Engine Treatment.

On my cast iron cylinder liner bikes I do squirt motor oil but their spark plugs are relatively easy to get at.

Fogging oil when the air cleaner is easy to get to is great too.  OMC made a top end fogging treatment.  I just bought a can of Seafoam spray that comes with a U-straw with a protector for shooting throttle bodies in cages.  Warm it up, spray it in while running, kill it and let it soak, then fire it up and don't stand behind the exhaust as I've seen carbon bits fly 25 feet and bounce of things!  Then fog again.  Always treat the gas for water and acids in the tank.  Two smokes especially.

Techron has been proven to work...

0777185__52135.1558182570.500.750.jpg?c=

Get improved performance with Johnson Evinrude OMC Engine Tuner from...

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/techron-power-sports.html

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/by_brand/techron.html

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Ride her year round. You should be able to ride her a couple of times a month at least in Indiana. 

Not this month so far.  Most winters I'd agree with you but usually no riding December, January, and February.  

• Thumbsup 1

Local Home Depot sells TRUFUEL.   I've used it in lawn equipment and it runs great. Have not tried it the FJ and not sure I would.

Anybody ever try running your bike on TRUFEUL???

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

57 minutes ago, fjray said:

Not this month so far.  Most winters I'd agree with you but usually no riding December, January, and February.  

No kidding.  I'd like to see someone try to ride in this.  I wonder if our Tennessee friend has ever seen a snowmobile..hahaha.

• Thumbsup 2