Thumb wheel and blinker switch lubrication

The thumb wheel was always hard to push in, so much so that I often accidentally roll it to another setting. Now I notice that the turn indicator switch also resists my inputs more than before. It's only a minor nuisance but if it should get worse that would be no good.

I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate these switches without any danger to getting a buildup of gunk in there over time. Could be that the original owner sprayed something in there that is causing this or is this a common issue?

So interested in your experiences and possible solutions if there are any.

Edited by petshark

I think the awkward feel to the "push switch" is because the switch is fundamentally nasty.

It only very rarely feels like a nice soft positive action in my experience.

I would be delighted if somebody could definitely say Lubricant X resolves the problem.

6 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I suppose it depends on when you ride and where. Just toss some white lithium grease in there. Easy enough to disassemble.

So I tried a couple of sprays of white lithium grease and the weird thing is that none of it drops out but it also doesn't help. While trying to work it in, it became obvious that there is especially a lot of resistance to the "turn right" action. I thought that the grease would find it's way to the right spot but it didn't (yet).

4 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I think the awkward feel to the "push switch" is because the switch is fundamentally nasty.

It only very rarely feels like a nice soft positive action in my experience.

I would be delighted if somebody could definitely say Lubricant X resolves the problem.

Yes, the wheel was a pain from the start and it's getting worse on mine. And the turn signals feel like bone dry parts having a hard time sliding over each other now.

3 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I sprayed in some De-Oxit that has corrosion/water inhibitors left behind.  fixed my turn signals and the sticky operation of the menu wheel.

This sounds promising. Also hard to find over here and pricey but if it works it's a good investment. Or would any contact cleaner work?

I'm wondering if this is because of hosing the bike down. Both switches will never get direct water spray in to them from rain. I spray from a good distance away and just short bursts but this development seems to indicate that there is some water getting in there this way. 

I have never heard of Caig DeoxIT D5 until reading this thread.

Reading the spec it focuses heavily on conductivity and contact cleaning (like Servisol etc) but it does throw in Lubrication in one short phrase.

Does it truly lubricate the mechanical parts of switches ? 

At £20 a can I need to be convinced !

20 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I sprayed in some De-Oxit that has corrosion/water inhibitors left behind.  fixed my turn signals and the sticky operation of the menu wheel.

Looking at their website, they have more than one type of De-Oxit spray.  Can you share which one you used or post a photo of the can please.

Thanks in advance.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Hi,

I am in the U.K. and every bike I have owned , when I put it away for winter, I give it a really good clean after a big service.

And have always put the spray tube on a tin of WD40 and poked it into the tiny hole under both the handlebar switches and given them both a full blast , covering the tank with a cloth to catch the dripping over night. Never a problem works great, been doing it for 55 years. I now use GT85 as it has P.T.F.E. in as well.

Cheers 

Edgar Jessop.

• Thumbsup 1

That jog wheel on the GT is the biggest letdown on the bike for me. It's infuriating to use while riding. Inevitably, as you suggested, the action ends up registering a *roll* in addition to a push, if it reads the push at all. Any solution you use won't fix the inherit design flaw. However, I *will* give a huge thumbs up to DeoxIT. I use that stuff in just about every electro-mechanical connection. The standard "D" series stuff is all you need.

• Thumbsup 1

WD40 has also been my "go to" water displacement spray for many years --- but some folks hate it , citing damage to "the bits" with long term use.

WD40 is however a cleaner come water disperser and whilst it's initially fluid state gives lubrication it is not  a lubricant. Same with Servisol.

The search is for a product that gives long term lubricity without loss of contact cleanliness.

Folk seem to suggest that DeoxIT does that - at a price.

I'll try to remember to ask my dealer 2morrow when my bike gets breakin service what they suggest for those 2 switches lube.

Talked to the tech who performed my service today. He shot the wheel with silicone spray. Worked great afterward, in fact I could access the heated grips and easily soft push the thumb wheel to change temps even while in motion. The firm push was easier and the soft push was too. Will check it over the next couple of days to see if short lived solution but so far so good. Don't think anything exotic is needed. FWIW.

Edited by TomTracer
new info
  • Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

That jog wheel on the GT is the biggest letdown on the bike for me. It's infuriating to use while riding. Inevitably, as you suggested, the action ends up registering a *roll* in addition to a push, if it reads the push at all. Any solution you use won't fix the inherit design flaw. However, I *will* give a huge thumbs up to DeoxIT. I use that stuff in just about every electro-mechanical connection. The standard "D" series stuff is all you need.

So using DeoxIT on the jog wheel does not work for you?

4 hours ago, petshark said:

So using DeoxIT on the jog wheel does not work for you?

I believe any benefit to be psychological at best, but YMMV. I'm so dismayed at the design of it, that I just don't think there's a lot of hope for it. I've half considered taking it apart to try to re-engineer it myself. Perhaps switching out the button action for a tactile switch. DeoxIT won't hurt anything, so by all means give it a shot. It *does* provide lubrication, and cleans off contacts, so if that's the main problem you're having, then it may work the treat for you.

• Thumbsup 3