Rat-farts

Sad!  I said something to my wife a few years ago about scratching a fairing on my bike.  Her reply, "well now it's like you. it has scars".  A preemptive strike on my next statement which was going to be I need to buy a new fairing!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

I don't really mind small blemishes on my bikes. They just show that you really are out there riding them. If you go on cycle trader there are literally bikes for sale with almost no miles on them. They might be 5-10 years old with 500 miles. Crazy.

If motorcycles had souls I'm sure they would rather get ridden and go out in the world and take their lumps than waste away in some garage.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

If motorcycles had souls I'm sure they would rather get ridden and go out in the world and take their lumps than waste away in some garage.

I agree.  I would rather wear out parts and do lots of preventive maintenance than have the bike sit in the garage sparkling clean and in perfect condition. 

Ride the hell out of it as intended and keep extra tires and oil on hand.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

I don't really mind small blemishes on my bikes. They just show that you really are out there riding them. If you go on cycle trader there are literally bikes for sale with almost no miles on them. They might be 5-10 years old with 500 miles. Crazy.

I honestly don't understand buying a motorcycle then never riding it.  I mean, I get the whole "buying stuff because you think it'll be fun then not using it" thing, but... It's a motorcycle.  How is your life so awesome that it wouldn't be improved by riding the motorcycle you already own?

It makes me sad.  Have coworkers who own really expensive bikes, and you see them once, maybe twice a year.  Seems WAY more common with Harleys, but happens with everything.  Mind boggling.  Poor things, stuffed in a garage and neglected, forgotten.  

I guess it's just people buying things they think will look cool - like a really expensive fashion accessory - then deciding it's not for them.  I want to believe it's just people buying the wrong bike for them so not getting the right experience, but I guess it's just because some people are broken inside and don't absolutely love riding motorcycles.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I honestly don't understand buying a motorcycle then never riding it.  I mean, I get the whole "buying stuff because you think it'll be fun then not using it" thing, but... It's a motorcycle.  How is your life so awesome that it wouldn't be improved by riding the motorcycle you already own?

It makes me sad.  Have coworkers who own really expensive bikes, and you see them once, maybe twice a year.  Seems WAY more common with Harleys, but happens with everything.  Mind boggling.  Poor things, stuffed in a garage and neglected, forgotten.  

I guess it's just people buying things they think will look cool - like a really expensive fashion accessory - then deciding it's not for them.  I want to believe it's just people buying the wrong bike for them so not getting the right experience, but I guess it's just because some people are broken inside and don't absolutely love riding motorcycles.

I have also had people comment about resale value - "you have 60k miles on your bike?, you're not going to get anything when you sell it or trade it in".  Resale value means absolutely nothing to me, I bought it to enjoy it not to hold its value.

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'm watching this. He's asking about $1K more than it sold for.  I've got a soft spot for this and the 650 Nighthawk.  Must resist...

If it's old enough it can be an investment.

00W0W_hv4YlwggR4gz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

Selling my CB 700 Nighthawk S this bike needs nothing but a new owner...

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have also had people comment about resale value - "you have 60k miles on your bike?, you're not going to get anything when you sell it or trade it in".  Resale value means absolutely nothing to me, I bought it to enjoy it not to hold its value.

Honestly, I love that it's like that.  Makes great bikes cheap.  

Because a bike with 60k on it?  It's one of two things: An absolutely clapped out machine that's been abused and not properly maintained, and it will be immediately apparent that that is the case, or it'll be a well maintained machine with tens of thousands more miles to go.  

I've spent the bulk of my riding life on machines that are several decades old, all of which had at least 50k on them, often much more.  My last was an 82 XJ750, with 85,000kms on the clock and a broken odometer (and who knows how much further it was ridden after, but I put a good 20,000 kms on it before selling it) - and it still ran strong.  Of course, being a 38 year old bike, it took some love to keep going, but that wasn't due to the mileage but instead due to raw age. 

And yeah.  Buying almost any vehicle as an investment is just dumb - it's going to depreciate enormously no matter what you do.  Not using it so it depreciates slightly less is just moronic, you'd literally be better off just not buying one in the first place.  May as well extract as much enjoyment from your dollars as you can.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1