How smooth is your engine?

So how smooth is your CP3 engine?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. My engine runs

• smooth in all RPM's. It's just a glorious machine.
    • mostly smooth but it can get a little chuggy in the lower RPM's. It's a triple after all
    • pretty rough... Smooth is not really a word I would use to describe this engine.

I would like to put a theory to the test;

• Could it be that this engine can run buttery smooth but everything has to be perfect for it to do so? (probably yes 😉)
  • Could it be that many bikes don't leave the factory perfect but "close enough"?
  • Could this go unnoticed by the community because when it runs a little rough at some RPM's the owner thinks it is normal for a 3 cylinder (and this is confirmed by reports from other riders)?

What I'm getting at is if the possibility exists that the majority of owners have engines that are not behaving as well as they could.

The basis for this is a Facebook owner who owned both a 2018 and a 2020 and describes the 2020 as being a lot smoother than the 2018, and well, damn near perfect.

When @Salish900 wrote this, the idea solidified;

On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, Salish900 said:

I have to say that of all the bikes I've had, I just can't imagine how my 900 could be any smoother. The darn thing is so smooth in 1st gear off the line and at all speeds 0-30 that my wrist feels magical. It's one of the most remarkable things about the OEM ECU and engine that it is so smooth at all speeds, and spins right up to the rev limiter like butter. It pulls like a bull, and is stead like eddy. My Concours, FJR, Capo 1200 and Versys all had much worse throttle response and smoothness. This darn 900 amazes me.

This is the complete opposite of my experience. I have only had Kawasaki parallel twins (also a Versys) before this and they were a lot smoother than my Tracer. The dealer says that you shouldn't expect a triple to be smooth but is that true?

I'm really curious to see how many of these perfect CP3 engines are out there. Who knows, maybe we can find out what makes them tick.🤞

Edited by petshark

So far all I can say is that Im mightily impressed with this engine. Look at the power, rev range and refinement provided! Although this three cylinder configuration has been used in some tiny cars over the years it really suits this bike. Yamaha engineers hit the ball out of the park! Although she is thirsty you are rewarded with warp speed at the crack of your wrist. What more can one want from a bike? Every time I ride Im amazed as Ive come from smaller bikes. The sound is thrilling and full of character.  How much better can the new ' 21 cp3 be??

Inline 3 AND 4 cylinders are NOT perfectly smooth. You need a 90 degree V4 for perfect primary balance or a flat 4.

People all have different sensitivity and irritation thresholds to vibration.

For me, this bike has a couple areas in the RPM band that are less smooth than the rest. None are bothersome at all to me.

I owned two V4 Hondas and they were very smooth.

Now I have done EVERYTHING to this bike for smoothness. 2WDW flash, TB sync., and just today adjusted my APS.  I'm happy.

• Thumbsup 2

There is a difference between smooth in terms of vibration and smooth in terms of throttle response. Both of my inline 4's were smooth in terms of vibration, but more snatchy or pulsy in terms of throttle. Part of this is that the FJR and Connie and others like them have such high HP. The difference between 30mph and 100mph is a slight twist of the wrist on those bikes. It requires you to be a bit of a maestro with your wrist to keep them smooth. The 900 is simply less powerful, and is mapped in a way that gives it smoothness. Yet the engine does vibrate a bit more than an inline 4, though not much and not in any way that bothers me. If you want the least vibration, then go with a V4 like has been said above, or an inline 4 even.

If you want smooth throttle response, stick with your later model 900 as the intersection of power, good mapping and not too much power. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

My 2019 does not have any annoying vibration from the engine and runs quite smoothly.  Maybe even a little more so after getting the ECU reflashed.  When cruising at speeds between 55 and 90 mph it almost disappears beneath me.  The only time I feel any vibrations is if I open throttle wide at low rpm, (when I probably should have gone down a gear anyway) and even them it is more of a mild chugging feeling that disappears as soon as the engine rpms rise a bit. 

Like many here I am really pleased with the CP3 motor.   

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

The vibration levels on mine are reducing with mileage and are now no bother.  I've had a Honda V4, and that had low levels of vibration, but if you want a truly vibrationless engine, try a BMW K1600 six cylinder inline.  It is more like an electric motor than a internal combustion engine.  When launched, a German owner posted a video of a one Euro coin balanced on its edge on the top box with the engine running at tickover - then ran it up to the rev limiter.  The coin remained balanced on its edge until he closed the throttle and touched the coin, over it went.  That was genuine as I found out by replicating it.

My now gone 1600 did have a very slight amount of vibration from the original gearbox -  almost undetectable and would have gone completely unnoticed on any other bike - but pull in the clutch and then there was no vibration at all.  Quite eerie.  At tickover and wearing ear plugs, the only way to tell if the engine was running was to check the rev counter.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

When cruising at speeds between 55 and 90 mph it almost disappears beneath me

This is exactly my experience, too, great way to put it into words.  It feels about as close to a magic carpet as I'd imagine one would feel.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

So I have some limited range in my past bikes, I had high revving parallel twin Ninja 250R, then right to a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 Triple.    I've ridden some 4 cyl liter bikes and such and yeah there is a smooth but buzzy.   I've ridden a KLR around the block and that was thumpy...   

The CP3 in my Tracer 900 GT is similar to the Triumph in how chuggy it can get low RPMs, and transitions into a bit of a buzziness at the higher end.   Kind of a clear middle ground between all the other engines.    There is a bit more vibration from the engine than I was expecting and that is my next thing I am going to work on is to reduce some of the bussing in my handlebars a bit.  But still... its a FAR smoother engine than the 1050 in the Sprint!

I thought it was smooth until I got a Zero. Turns out the FJ is actually like riding an overloaded washing machine

JK. I think the FJ is fine, compared to my limited experience with other bikes. I will admit my dad’s GSX1100G inline 4 was exceptionally smooth compared to the parallel twins and triples I’ve ridden. 

When I first started riding again, I owned a Suzuki Burgman 400.  It was a thumper.  I found something interesting about it though.  Without earplugs, it sounded like a thumper and was definitely not smooth.

When I put in my earplugs though...the bike smoothed out and actually seemed like a nicely refined engine.  😲

I can only conclude that just as our "taste" is influenced by both the tongue and nose, our sensation of vibration is influenced by what we hear as well as what we feel.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, angrygirafe said:

I thought it was smooth until I got a Zero. Turns out the FJ is actually like riding an overloaded washing machine

I haven't ridden an electric bike, but compared to all other bikes I've had the CP3 feels just like that, an overloaded washing machine. I always compare it to a hyperactive kid who has been told to hold still - there's an amazing amount of energy that is unable to be kept still, even when it tries. It's not inherently bad or unpleasant, it's just raw, impatient, and ready to explode into action. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

How smooth the motor on the FJ is really depends on what you are comparing it to.  Compared to my old FZ6 (4 cyl) the FJ buzzes like an angry hornet... but compared to my old Versys (parallel twin) or my Bolt (v twin), the FJ is extremely smooth.  Some people are more sensitive to the vibrations than others. The vibrations only bother me if I'm at a constant speed for an extended period of time, but even then, I can usually find a speed or RPM that settles it a bit.  Either way its a minor gripe and generally a condition of most motorcycles to vibrate at some speed/rpm.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

22 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Inline 3 AND 4 cylinders are NOT perfectly smooth. You need a 90 degree V4 for perfect primary balance or a flat 4.

People all have different sensitivity and irritation thresholds to vibration.

For me, this bike has a couple areas in the RPM band that are less smooth than the rest. None are bothersome at all to me.

I owned two V4 Hondas and they were very smooth.

Now I have done EVERYTHING to this bike for smoothness. 2WDW flash, TB sync., and just today adjusted my APS.  I'm happy.

I agree with this entirely.

On mine, at least, its:

• Buzzy at roughly 4200rpm and 6000rpm at constant speed
  • Kind of rough at idle.  Not markedly bad, but a bit uneven
  • Gloriously smooth anywhere while accelerating: The CP3 loves to go. 

The CP4 in the R1/MT10 is much smoother, but they both cost a lot more, so... It is what it is.  The CP3 is pretty comparable to the CP2 in the MT07 that way; a little lumpier at idle, a little smoother under power. 

I've certainly been on smoother I4 sportbikes, but they've also been very different machines overall.  Non-Harley bigger twins (such as the Versys, DL1000, etc) tend to be smoother but are also mind-numbingly boring in comparison, so you have to pick and choose what you want there.  I've not ridden a Triumph triple, but I'd expect them to be a bit smoother and more refined because, well, they tend to be more refined machines in comparison overall (and much more expensive).  

It's not inherently bad or unpleasant, it's just raw, impatient, and ready to explode into action.

I feel this is a very fair assessment overall.  Maybe the 2021 CP3 is different, but I feel if you're looking at a CP3 (or, for that matter, CP2) platform machine, this is a selling feature not a problem - if you're looking for a smoother, more refined touring experience (at the expense of that wild, spirited horse fun), there are better options. 

• Thumbsup 2