A mode or rather Let the beast loose..

15 hours ago, Skidood said:

I personally disagree, I find A mode way too touchy, I'd rather not be constantly hyper-focussed on my wrist movement.  Makes for a better ride where you can focus on what you''re supposed to be focussing on.  I bet a lot of people (unlike me) aren't publicly willing to admit they dont like A mode.

I completely sympathize. The bike was virtually unrideable before flashing the ECU, and then, it only became tolerable. Like you describe, any little twitch to the bike made it lunge forward, like a .00001% movement on the throttle gave it 100% throttle for a half a second. After a while I learned about the accelerator position sensor fix, and that was a game changer. It tamed the throttle so it became useable. It's still not perfect, but good enough.  But I still hold back on A mode in the twisties because I don't fully trust the throttle. 

If you haven't done the APS fix, I highly recommend it. Search the forum and you'll find step by step instructions. 

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

15 hours ago, Skidood said:

I personally disagree, I find A mode way too touchy, I'd rather not be constantly hyper-focussed on my wrist movement.  Makes for a better ride where you can focus on what you''re supposed to be focussing on.  I bet a lot of people (unlike me) aren't publicly willing to admit they dont like A mode.

I hated A mode. Even after flashing. Took me over a year to get comfortable with it. Now I use it all of the time. This is the most powerful bike I've ever owned so that may have something to do with it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

My g/f was asking about the modes.  I told her B = Boring mode (lol) and A = a**hole mode.  All in good fun.

Meh, to each their own.  I have not had an ECU flash, but might - someday.  I tend to use B mode if it's really wet and/or cold and might be worried about traction.  A mode is incredible fun, but I tend to use it when I REALLY need to teleport past something.  For me, it's a bit much for around town, but not always - it depends!  It's all about time and place.

I think it really comes down to personal preference and one's own riding style.  You might be smoother with A mode, I may not be.  Neither is wrong.  I just love that these things have the option, right there - any time we want it.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I prefer B for twisty riding.

When trail braking into corners while also downshifting precise throttle management is impossible for me in A.

And if there’s no HP difference between A and B, what’s the advantage of A?

Smooth is always faster in my experience .

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

24 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Smooth is always faster in my experience .

The difference (advantage is subjective) is the power curve.  I find all 3 modes to be smooth, but that's also subjective.  I, personally, enjoy the power application of A-mode in the twisty stuff.  I trail brake and I enjoy getting on the throttle through the apex and exit.  A-mode allows me to do that with the most... "umph?"

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Mostly the amount of throttle rotation, for 0-100% throttle it’s like a 90 degree throttle rotation with STD and B-mode, in A-mode the throttle range is achieved in like 60 degree rotation.  I dont know the exact degree but that’s the fundamental idea.  2wheeldynoworks refer to A-mode as “quick turn”.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, maximo said:

If you haven't done the APS fix, I highly recommend it. Search the forum and you'll find step by step instructions. 

I checked things out, according to the service manual, my bike requires the Yamaha diagnostic tool to get the readings.  Otherwise the procedure itself appears to be the same.  Would be nice if I could use my OBDII reader.

• Thumbsup 1

48 minutes ago, Skidood said:

I checked things out, according to the service manual, my bike requires the Yamaha diagnostic tool to get the readings.  Otherwise the procedure itself appears to be the same.  Would be nice if I could use my OBDII reader.

Yes, maybe the only time it's good to have a 15 or 16.

Currently on a long trip with the bike loaded.  It stays in B mode due to needing smoother throttle response for low speed maneuvering but really miss the zippier feel of A mode when taking off from a traffic light.

10 hours ago, Skidood said:

I outsourced the job. I printed the instructions and when I took the bike in for service I spoke with the tech and asked him to do it. When I picked up the bike he said "You're going to like it. It's a completely different bike now."  He wasn't wrong. 

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

This pic is of a typical turn encountered on my rides. This is pretty mild compared to other similar turns especially up in the Sierras.

Shortly after this turn, there are two quick lefts then a set of hairpins that have even greater elevation changes and are tighter.

Going uphill, A mode and the QS make these types of turns way easier to handle for me. Ive rode that road on many different motorcycles....all without a QS.

Why, first going up hill, gravity is against you. You let off the gas, as to upshift, you are going to slow faster than if you were on flat land. Which means you need to roll back on the gas more than on flat land and quicker. 

QS lets me get get on the gas and just upshift. I dont have to do anything with the throttle hand or clutch hand, just use the hands for steering inputs. 

A mode means I dont have to twist the throttle as much, which is more than being on flat ground. 

Also, in A mode, I find it easier to match RPMs for  downshifting as less throttle twist is needed.

I went into a turn like this one while going uphill in the Sierras recently, only the the change in elevation was much greater and tighter.......in 3rd gear.......it was a first gear turn. Being in A mode, allowed be to deal with the situation easier than in STD because of not needing to twist the throttle as much as if I was in STD mode. 

For lane splitting.....I use STD mode and 3rd gear. 

7EB1B159-CCAB-42DC-9239-270F1D56A23E.jpeg

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 1

53 minutes ago, duckie said:

This pic is of a typical turn encountered on my rides. This is pretty mild compared to other similar turns especially up in the Sierras.

Shortly after this turn, there are two quick lefts then a set of hairpins that have even greater elevation changes and are tighter.

Going uphill, A mode and the QS make these types of turns way easier to handle for me. Ive rode that road on many different motorcycles....all without a QS.

Why, first going up hill, gravity is against you. You let off the gas, as to upshift, you are going to slow faster than if you were on flat land. Which means you need to roll back on the gas more than on flat land and quicker. 

QS lets me get get on the gas and just upshift. I dont have to do anything with the throttle hand or clutch hand, just use the hands for steering inputs. 

A mode means I dont have to twist the throttle as much, which is more than being on flat ground. 

Also, in A mode, I find it easier to match RPMs for  downshifting as less throttle twist is needed.

I went into a turn like this one while going uphill in the Sierras recently, only the the change in elevation was much greater and tighter.......in 3rd gear.......it was a first gear turn. Being in A mode, allowed be to deal with the situation easier than in STD because of not needing to twist the throttle as much as if I was in STD mode. 

For lane splitting.....I use STD mode and 3rd gear. 

7EB1B159-CCAB-42DC-9239-270F1D56A23E.jpeg

Don't leave us hanging, where is this delicious road??