A mode or rather Let the beast loose..

I personally use A-mode, however, After the winter months I do find my self struggling with the jerkiness of the throttle. That usually goes away pretty quickly. 

My brother also rides my bike once in awhile and he only uses B-mode. He never puts it back to A-mode. When I get on the bike I don't notice the difference until I want to accelerate fast. Usually happens after 4 stops and I'm like what the hell is wrong with my bike... oh its in B-mode. 

23 hours ago, nhchris said:

I prefer B for twisty riding.

Interesting, 

That's something I am learning, holding the RPM through a turn especially when its high RPM. B-mode or STD-mode would probably be a better option. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I do find my self struggling with the jerkiness of the throttle

I re-read the APS thread last night and am thinking this would be the answer.  I hope to adjust this when installing the bash plate.  Who knows, I may be an A Mode All The Time convert...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I installed a Booster plug a few weeks ago and got to say it really softens up the on off throttle really nice,so much that I was in A mode once and didn't even notice . It smoothed the adbrupness that good. I also noticed it took out the flat spot at high rpm.It now pulls really strong all the way to red line. It also did not hurt my fuel MPG one bit. Yeah it throws off your ambient air temp reading but I can overlook that for the improved fueling.It works so well  A mode no problem now.on the bumpy roads as much.

• Thumbsup 2

I haven't had mine flashed, and I only use B in the rain.  I had been using STD most of the time and A while in the twisties, but lately, I've just left it in A.  I like the more spontanious response, and almost never have an issue with twitchiness.  Most of my riding is in the mountains.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:31 PM, Skidood said:

I checked things out, according to the service manual, my bike requires the Yamaha diagnostic tool to get the readings.  Otherwise the procedure itself appears to be the same.  Would be nice if I could use my OBDII reader.

I'd imagine you can use a bluetooth obd2 reader - it shows the APS readings.  

On 6/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, knyte said:

I re-read the APS thread last night and am thinking this would be the answer.  I hope to adjust this when installing the bash plate.  Who knows, I may be an A Mode All The Time convert...

I've often considered doing this, but never really gotten around to it.  IIRC the APS thread is about an FJ, though, right?  Different fueling, and no slipper clutch?  

On 6/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, GTO MIKE said:

I installed a Booster plug a few weeks ago and got to say it really softens up the on off throttle really nice,so much that I was in A mode once and didn't even notice . It smoothed the adbrupness that good. I also noticed it took out the flat spot at high rpm.It now pulls really strong all the way to red line. It also did not hurt my fuel MPG one bit. Yeah it throws off your ambient air temp reading but I can overlook that for the improved fueling.It works so well  A mode no problem now.on the bumpy roads as much.

This was my experience as well.  It kind of annoys me to have to do mental math to figure out air temp, but it was WAY cheaper and easier than a flash. 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I'm like what the hell is wrong with my bike... oh its in B-mode. 

I only VERY rarely use b-mode; typically just when I'm riding in actual snow.  Otherwise, my bike is in A mode virtually all the time.  And this ends up happening to me when I do - I'll forget it's in B mode, then get out riding and... Oh god, what's wrong with my bike?  ~panic till I realize it's in B mode~

On 6/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, nhchris said:

And if there’s no HP difference between A and B, what’s the advantage of A?

Smooth is always faster in my experience .

B is fine if you're keeping it at high RPM's through the twisties, but if you end up slowing a bit too much in a corner, then it'll restrict the throttle a lot until the RPM's raise again, and that (to me) is a god-awful feeling.  Even around 4-5krpm, there is a *TREMENDOUS* difference to how much power you can put to the wheels between A and B mode.  

B doesn't restrict max power, but it DOES restrict max throttle on a curve by RPM.  There's no HP difference at peak HP/RPM, but there's a HUGE HP difference at lower RPM. 

To each their own, of course, and it's definitely something you can work around either way to not have an issue with it not being smooth in A mode, or with getting gimpy-restricted-throttle in B.   Just what works for you.

Personally, though, I absolutely hate what B mode does to launches.  *Hate* it.  

• Thumbsup 1

I now have a massive 450 km on my '19, so please take my observations with a grain of salt!  I have ridden almost exclusively in Std mode until today, when I decided it was time to try A mode.  Loved it.  I did have one slight lunge with a bump (or something; already can't remember exactly what triggered it) but it was very minor, and nothing compared to how my Suzuki TL1000S reacted to little upsets like that.  The Tracer in A mode is still light years smoother than that was (until I went to a Power Commander, but I digress).  What I really like was that zipping around town with two fingers covering the brake, I could still easily get deep into the throttle.  Bike just plain felt frisky.  Put it back into Std when I got into more dense traffic, so as to avoid becoming part of an F150'a rear bumper in a moment of inattention.  I think my day to day choice regarding which mode to use will come down to whether I want to relax or focus and get sporty.  As others have said, it's nice to have the choice.

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, Wintersdark said:

I've often considered doing this, but never really gotten around to it.  IIRC the APS thread is about an FJ, though, right?  Different fueling, and no slipper clutch?  

This was my experience as well.  It kind of annoys me to have to do mental math to figure out air temp, but it was WAY cheaper and easier than a flash. 

I only VERY rarely use b-mode; typically just when I'm riding in actual snow.  Otherwise, my bike is in A mode virtually all the time.  And this ends up happening to me when I do - I'll forget it's in B mode, then get out riding and... Oh god, what's wrong with my bike?  ~panic till I realize it's in B mode~

B is fine if you're keeping it at high RPM's through the twisties, but if you end up slowing a bit too much in a corner, then it'll restrict the throttle a lot until the RPM's raise again, and that (to me) is a god-awful feeling.  Even around 4-5krpm, there is a *TREMENDOUS* difference to how much power you can put to the wheels between A and B mode.  

B doesn't restrict max power, but it DOES restrict max throttle on a curve by RPM.  There's no HP difference at peak HP/RPM, but there's a HUGE HP difference at lower RPM. 

To each their own, of course, and it's definitely something you can work around either way to not have an issue with it not being smooth in A mode, or with getting gimpy-restricted-throttle in B.   Just what works for you.

Personally, though, I absolutely hate what B mode does to launches.  *Hate* it.  

I only use B when I’m riding 2-up, typically over a weekend.

My Monday commute starts with pulling out from an intersection on a semi-limited access divided highway.

If I’ve forgotten and left it in B-at WFO throttle am like W-T-F?!!

Was messing with the traction control setting once for the helluvit. Following Monday morning trying to figure out why it’s chopping the power right about the time I am getting the best part…

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 6/22/2021 at 6:18 PM, Skidood said:

I personally disagree, I find A mode way too touchy, I'd rather not be constantly hyper-focussed on my wrist movement.  Makes for a better ride where you can focus on what you''re supposed to be focussing on.  I bet a lot of people (unlike me) aren't publicly willing to admit they dont like A mode.

I wasn't going to publically admit I prefer STD over A mode but I did give this a thumbs up last time I read it, apparently. 

Add me to the list of those who prefer standard mode, at all times for all conditions.  Mode A is not bad but since the throttle response in standard is more smooth that is the one I prefer.  I have to twist the grip a little further than A mode when driving off the corners but it is worth the trade for smoother, more controlled throttle response.  

Mode B makes pulling away from a stop feel too sluggish.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I'm still new to the bike (haven't even hit the 600 mile oil change yet) but after playing around with it a bit, I prefer Standard over A. 

One thing I can't figure out: why on earth would they not allow you to change modes down (A -> Standard -> B) while moving? What if you hit some weather and want to go into "rain" mode?

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, pokey074 said:

I'm still new to the bike (haven't even hit the 600 mile oil change yet) but after playing around with it a bit, I prefer Standard over A. 

One thing I can't figure out: why on earth would they not allow you to change modes down (A -> Standard -> B) while moving? What if you hit some weather and want to go into "rain" mode?

You can change modes while moving if you hold the throttle closed while making the change.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

9 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

You can change modes while moving if you hold the throttle closed while making the change.

Did not know that. Still surprised you can't change on the fly though.

1 hour ago, pokey074 said:

Did not know that. Still surprised you can't change on the fly though.

The same open throttle value points to different values in the three modes' maps. The throttle zero point is where the three modes are the same, so you can only change modes at zero to avoid very unnatural instant jumps from one throttle/fuel map value to another. The engineers could solve this by programming in curves from one point to the other but I imagine that there are probably good reasons not to go this route. Closing the throttle to change the modes/maps seems the right way to implement this IMO.

• Thumbsup 4

On 6/24/2021 at 1:14 PM, GTO MIKE said:

Think you just talked me into a booster plug, and I couldn't care less about the stupid ambient temp reading on a motorcycle anyways.......