Gas Milage

I could not be leave what my dash was telling me about fuel consumption . So after a 200 mile ride on different types of roads  some using cruse & some not , at times gassing & having fun with the engine. I put it to paper and got an amazing 55.6 MPG.

My MT07 never got over 49.0 MPG .   😀

• Thumbsup 3

The 2021 has their digital readouts on fuel consumption/fuel economy and such, which are neat to see but I haven't put pen to paper yet to check how accurate those readings are. Unfortunately due to my ability to do math, it may be even more suspect if I do go that route. It has been reading around 48mpg out on average. Hoping that holds true and keeps up though! If I remember to check next time i'll chime back in. 

• Supporting Member

I recently got back from a week long road trip to California where we rode a few of the Sierra passes and I noticed that while riding at sea level I was seeing mid to high 40’s on the ‘fuel avg’ screen. When we got up to higher elevations, (6-8k) even with spirited riding I was seeing mid 50’s average. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I run in the mid 40's pretty much full time.

The fact that I live over an hour away from any straight piece of road longer than ~1/2 mile might have something to do with that. But honestly, the fact that I've never backed away from the least excuse to twist the throttle *just* that little bit more is the most likely causative factor.

Besides, it's fun!

To quote the great sage Jimmy Buffett: "Growing older, but not up"

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I typically see fuel economy in the 40-44mpg (US) range, less if I average 75+mph. It probably doesn't help that I weigh 250lbs (naked), run a 26" Madstad barn door, and always have my 40L Hepco-Becker side cases mounted. 

I think my FJ-09 is about as aerodynamic as the '02 Jeep TJ I used to have. I have never seen 50+mpg. I think I got 48mpg once while puttering around at 50-55mph at high elevations. 

DSCF0789.thumb.JPG.3b3cf83deee15fca44ee611049ed8f8a.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, keithu said:

I typically see fuel economy in the 40-44mpg (US) range

Exactly my experience.   I’ve never bothered to reset the average fuel economy, so this is 42.6 mpg indicated over 21k+ miles.  

4D567674-FC68-4CD6-9C6A-F7F3130E6469.thumb.jpeg.e805769ec4075962eb26ac149d056c6a.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

As I've mentioned before the best I see is about the best I see is about 40 or so on E10 on E10 usually even with E0 it's been with E0 it's not any better

And again I'm no lightweight runner runna SH46 top case all the time we saw all the time and a medium screen medium screen but just the way it is

If I ride cataconically in the in the 50 to 60 mile an hour range I'll an hour range I can maybe get 42 43 but what fun is that

• Thumbsup 1

As mentioned it depends on the elevation, speed and E10 or E0 gas.  I've seen as low as 40mpg when running at 79 into a stiff headwind (maybe less) at lower elevations but have also seen as high as 60 at higher elevations and with a tail wind - that was fantastic as it really stretched my distance between stops.  Have done one 5,000 mile trip after the initial 2,400 miles after purchase and was very pleased with the gas consumption.  I may have done a rough check calc on the fuel mileage versus the display but it is close enough.  I keep a closer eye on fuel used.  Typically actual fuel consumption is 0.2 gallons more than indicated.  Typically fill up when have used between 3 and 3.8 gallons and fill to the same spot on the tank - just covered the holes.  Had a long stretch thru Kansas with a nice tailwind where I got an indicated 53 or 54 mpg at 75 mph!  Nice long ride in the 105 degree temps!!!!  

On a long trip particularly when stretching miles between stops I use the avg mpg, fuel consumed and mileage when the gauge switches to 1/2 tank.  All of these give me an idea of how much further I can go and then start thinking about gas stop.

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, keithu said:

I typically see fuel economy in the 40-44mpg (US) range, less if I average 75+mph. It probably doesn't help that I weigh 250lbs (naked), run a 26" Madstad barn door, and always have my 40L Hepco-Becker side cases mounted. 

I think my FJ-09 is about as aerodynamic as the '02 Jeep TJ I used to have. I have never seen 50+mpg. I think I got 48mpg once while puttering around at 50-55mph at high elevations. 

DSCF0789.thumb.JPG.3b3cf83deee15fca44ee611049ed8f8a.JPG

Where is the Espresso maker? 

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

5 hours ago, keithu said:

think my FJ-09 is about as aerodynamic as the '02 Jeep TJ I used to have.

Ha! Nailed it. I feel the same way about mine when I have my barn door on my winter. Compared to my Connie or FJR, I just feel like a giant slab of plywood being pushed down the road by that engine. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and the upright seating and tall seat and all that, but aerodynamic it is not. FWIW, I get a solid 45mpg using non-ethanol 92 at sea level. 

• Thumbsup 1

I'm a Chunky Boi (250 without gear) and I always ride with the side bags. I average 4.4 L/100km  or 52.5ish MPG. I ride spiritedly, hard off the line from time to time, love that triple acceleration! I'm lucky to have a gas station in town (Drummond's, local gas retailer) that always serves Ethanol-Free 91 Octane. I got slightly worse mileage on my '02 VFR800 and it ran on pump (87). Meh. I like the FJ far better.

I wounder if there might have been some fueling changes made at the factory, since I have seen nothing lower than the low 50's in the 2200 miles I have road the bike ? According to the paper work I got from the dealer my bike only came to there dealer ship in Jan of 2021 .

I'm in the Reno, NV area at 4400' on up in elevation.  My '19 Tracer is always around 50-55 mpg whether it's running the local freeways or hitting the mountain roads up to Tahoe, Virginia City, etc.  That's running 91 octane Ethanol.  No complaints here.