3D Printing, how far can it go?

Heli ATP

• Heli ATP changed the title to 3D Printing, how far can it go?
  • Supporting Member

That's pretty cool.  Seems to be a ways off from being a realistic product, but an interesting concept just the same.  3D printing sure is revolutionizing manufacturing.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I'm more than happy with the 3D printed cell phone holder that was making the rounds on the site a few months ago. First and only 3D printed thing I have ever got my greasy little hands on🙂 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

I'm getting old...

Back in the day, it would have taken two tool and die craftsman six months to just finish preproduction molds for those parts out of aluminum profile templates and plaster based on pencil drawings revised several times...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

lol, yep, there's a lot of Carboard Aided Design in my house, too.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

22 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Some of you on here have amazed me with items you have made with your 3D printer. 

See this....

3D Motorcycle

Super cool! Really opens the design freedom.

So fun story which requires some background, I work with metallic 3D printing (additive manufacturing), specifically titanium alloy(s). We had a part that wasn't adequately fixtured. The residual stresses were so high it was shearing the heads off certified grade 8 bolts. I can't really share a lot of details, but I lost count how many failed.

BrokenBolts.PNG

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

Aw c'mon, what's an NDA among friends ?  We won't tell anyone :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have a little Monoprice Mini 3D printer that I have been playing with, very interesting some of the things that you can do with it.  I'm looking to make a few custom parts for my bikes and such.  

I've noted that SpaceX is 3D printing rocket motor parts, and Habitat for Humanity recently 3D printed a house.

It's not the answer for everything, but it does allow rapid prototyping and constructing items that were virtually impossible to do before.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

As @2and3cylinders alluded to, time-to-market is a huge potential benefit of 3D printing because it can eliminate the tooling phase from manufacturing.

I work in good ol' fashioned 2D print, but it's pretty exciting to see what's happening in additive manufacturing.

• Thumbsup 3