Sick of Yamaha

• Supporting Member

I'm with you, @ZigMerid.  It can be a bit contradictory in that we want to stay as compliant as possible, but still have maximum fun.  I'm one of those weirdos who put the catalytic converter back IN to a vehicle ('92 Geo Tracker) that someone previously removed.  I could care less about 'exhaust note', and truthfully, with the cat back in, it stinks less and still gets the same mileage.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You do realize that motorcycles only emits about 100th of 1% of total carbon footprint of all motor vehicles

Yeah, pisses me off that new bikes run terrible due to the EPA while I sit at a light choking to death from, trucks, busses, and semi's belching out clouds of smoke.

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, KrustyKush said:

As to the “lurch” during decel.

My 2021 T9GT same same. First bike I’ve ever had that does this. Apparently it is a “thing” because it is now universal, but it’s purpose remains a mystery to me.

Last August, 2022, I bought a new 22 Goldwing. It acts exactly like my Tracer in that manner of “lurch.”  This trait of engine management must be a requirement of emissions, sure can’t be safety. It doesn’t help a bit with riding the bike, and is actually irritating to me. I wish the new bikes weren’t like this. But they are. 

I have a 2022 Duke 890 R and it does not have this problem.  I'm not even sure it's due to aggressive fuel cutoff.  It's not that the weight transfer is abrupt as much as it feels like something in the drivetrain/suspension makes a marked shift forward.  It's as if something is "loose" more than anything else.  I was wondering if it's because the chain is a bit loose but I doubt we all have loose chains causing the same effect. 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:38 AM, BVEBRAD said:

Unfortunately no, I've just learned to live with it.  That and the slight hesitation when accelerating hard out of second gear.  I'm hoping it will all be gone after I get it reflashed from 2 Wheeled Dyno Works.

It feels like something is loose that shifts forward, I really don't like it.  

Please let us know if the flash fixes the 2nd gear flatspot issue.  That's where all the fun is!  Makes me want to sell the bike.  Are you going to make any modifications to the oxygen sensor or add block off plates along with the tune? I suppose I could ask @2wheeldynoworkslol

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, subzero21T9GT said:

I have a 2022 Duke 890 R

I like you already... :)

So what's it been like to live with?   I was right on the verge of buying one, but ended up buying a new Speed Twin instead (Odd cross-shopping list, I realize). 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:41 PM, knyte said:

I'm with you, @ZigMerid.  It can be a bit contradictory in that we want to stay as compliant as possible, but still have maximum fun.  I'm one of those weirdos who put the catalytic converter back IN to a vehicle ('92 Geo Tracker) that someone previously removed.  I could care less about 'exhaust note', and truthfully, with the cat back in, it stinks less and still gets the same mileage.

I am a similar kind of weirdo. AAMOF, I tend to avoid pre-owned vehicles with "mods" done to it by other people. I want standard in every way. If I do make a few tasteful mods then they are to actually enhance performance, not for some imaginary gain.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

I like you already... :)

So what's it been like to live with?   I was right on the verge of buying one, but ended up buying a new Speed Twin instead (Odd cross-shopping list, I realize). 

I love it.

I put an arrow slip-on in it and basically called it a day. The engine has instant thrust at any RPM in any gear, and it still scares me a little going full throttle.  The suspension is amazing.  The brakes are perfect.  The switchgear is adequate.  Seat is firm but has plenty of room to move around on when pushing hard in the twisties...where I do 90% of my riding.  The electronics are fantastic as well, only as intrusive as you want them to be. 

20230121_160516.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I am a similar kind of weirdo. AAMOF, I tend to avoid pre-owned vehicles with "mods" done to it by other people. I want standard in every way. If I do make a few tasteful mods then they are to actually enhance performance, not for some

I'd buy one. Now.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

So I've had Vcyclenut's flash for a bit and everything has been good. Until this past week, when my bike stalled twice after startup, and the lurching/hiccup while cruising came back!

This jogged my memory that I had the P2135 code and never actually fixed it myself. So I did some searching but couldn't find anything for the Tracer 9 aside from this thread; however, searching MT09 gets tons of results with other people having throttle position sensor issues where cleaning has done some good, or even replacing and cleaning throttle bodies, but the permanent fix is to replace the TPS (more on that below).

For those looking for a quick way for cleaning the TPS you can do it without having to remove the gas tank and airbox. It's on the right side of the bike, behind the triangle engine mount plate. I used two flat head screw drivers, one to push the locking tab in and another to lift the female end off. Then I just sprayed contact cleaner on the connectors inside both ends and let it dry, stalling gone, hesitation gone:

TPSTabandLift.thumb.jpg.8c57b69371b0700ac6b1ff9706c9918c.jpg

What's frustrating about this is that every poster that says they took their CP3 bike into a dealership for this issue has been told by the dealer that Yamaha is aware of this issue. And clearly they are because for model year 2022 and onward the TPS is a different part # than the 2021 models: 2021 is B3L-85885-00-00, 2022-onwards is B3L-85885-01-00. The 2021 version is probably missing a gasket, hood, or cover that protects it from moisture or debris, the same part is used on the 2020 R1 but the fairings probably keep the TPS shielded. 

So clearly they know it's an issue but there's no recall yet? Apparently you can just plug the 2022+ TPS sensor into a 2021 model and it's fine, but why should I have to drop $75-$100 for a manufacturer defect? I'm hoping a recall comes this season or y'know... the thread title is very applicable.

• Thumbsup 5

10 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

For those looking for a quick way for cleaning the TPS you can do it without having to remove the gas tank and airbox. It's on the right side of the bike, behind the triangle engine mount plate. I used two flat head screw drivers, one to push the locking tab in and another to lift the female end off. Then I just sprayed contact cleaner on the connectors inside both ends and let it dry, stalling gone, hesitation gone

Interesting and sorry to hear this needs to be done for '21 models. Too bad Partzilla doesn't show what the items look like in detail, but your process to mitigate the issue seems to resolve this.

Hope Yamaha is reading and listening...

I wouldn't get your hopes up there will be a recall, these things are a wear item, and unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't seem to do recalls on their TPS's.  To help explain why it becomes an issue, one should do some forensic analysis. 

Not for  the CP3, but for the FJR I dissected one.  They are a sealed unit, so the only "cleaning" you can do is at the connector, which is waterproof anyway.  I did some forensics, taking one apart destroys it.  The real issue is wearing of the contact fingers into the ceramic resistor board.  The most wear takes place at zero and low throttle openings, which is where you'll have most of your issues.  This wear is rather microscopic, but here are some pics to explain that......

One thing you can try is to rotate the TPS slightly to a higher throttle opening where there is less wear.  This might alleviate some symptoms, but bottom line, you need a new TPS.

20191217_170747.jpg

20191218_143637 (Large).jpg

20191217_171053.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2