Sick of Yamaha

• Premium Member
On 7/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Kenny A. said:

Mmmm. Just been checking availability of heated comfort seat. They are VERY hard to source. Yamaha EU are out of stock,and it seems that no U.K. dealers have any either. I understand your frustration. If I find one,I'll let you know.🤞🏻

Try Corbin seats, I have had two of their heated seats (on two different bikes) and they are very good. Of course I am local and can go down to the factory, but my first one was shipped to Seattle.

Just shows I'm flexible.

The question is the future. What are used bike (gas burning, what evil 😮) prices going to do with all this going on?

I can see it go both ways.  Depends on the $$ and availability of gas.

I for one see no future in EV's no matter HOW GOOD the batteries get. There just is no way to cross several states only stopping for 10 min. to gas up.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

There just is no way to cross several states only stopping for 10 min. to gas up.

Oh yeah of little faith.

One of the first general purpose computers in the world (ENIAC) took up more room than a large garage, had far less computing power than your TV and required a team of people to keep it running. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC#/media/File:Eniac.jpg

Similarly the first gasoline automobile (at least the one most recognized by historians - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benz_Patent-Motorwagen#:~:text=The Benz Patent-Motorwagen (",patented and unveiled in 1886.) was 954cc, produced a whopping 0.75 horse power, was slower than a horse and had less range than a well-nourished human.

Yes, we're getting way off topic here, but we've had well over a century of refinement of gasoline engines, so they have quite a head start over alternatives. I for one have faith in human ingenuity.

Having owned an EV for a number of years, I can assure you that if when they get the range sorted, the step change from gasoline powered to electric power will be vastly better than the step change from carbs and jets to FI was. Yes, you lose some of the visceral pleasures that some of us know and love, but man, the increase in torque and reduction in maintenance and complexity is very appealing to others.

The other minor matter is that most people do not ride across several states as a matter of course. I happen to travel those distances as a natural consequence of where I live, so I'm acutely aware of the distance issue, but solving for 90% of the population is still a game changer, even if the last 10% linger on with traditional solutions for a while.

Tl;dr: Humans can do amazing things if they put their mind to it.

PS. Speaking of visceral pleasures. Those who ride horses will wonder what all the fuss is with gasoline powered machinery. Nothing beats riding a living breathing ton of muscle which sweats and pants and bucks like a dragon. Gasoline machinery pales in comparison. It's all relative.

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZigMerid said:

Nothing beats riding a living breathing ton of muscle which sweats and pants and bucks like a dragon.

That's what my wife says about me. But srsly, horses are only good for glue and swedish meatballs.

Edited by kilo3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

I also ride for visceral pleasure......no EV for me.

Horses and I never got along.  HP on the other hand👍

Yeah, they'll have to pry my GAS motorcycle out of my cold dead hands.  Same with my guns.

I dont like where the US is going. When the crazy few try to dictate the rest of us.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Getting back into the spirit of the thread topic,

Did a 500mi round-trip yesterday and I'm unhappy to report that my check engine light came on and I started getting hesitation/sputtering between 3,500-5,000 RPM. I'm at 4,500mi currently so haven't even made it to the first service interval... to the dealer she goes 😟.

• Sad 8

FWIW…….getting the cable and economical OBDII scanner is a wise investment. 

This way you can read the code and it just might be a simple fix not requring a trip to the dealer. 

I left my key on recently and drain the stock battery. Got a replacement and the check engine was on…no QS….no menu access….seems a pretty common failure.

Got a reader and read the code….It was related to throttle position voltage calibration. Cleared it, all was well and no trip to the dealer.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Check battery/ground connections yet?

Was hoping it was just a loose connection but no. Checked everything, negative terminal was slightly loose, tightened it and went for a ride and I still have the sputtering/hesitation.

I'll be getting a an OBD2 reader and the adapter cable and see what I can do on my own before I hit up the dealer. My butt tells me it's a misfire so I may just go ahead and order new spark plugs anyway.

3 hours ago, robzilla said:

Interesting, good to know! I saw a YT thread saying something about this, so thinking of getting the cable since I already have an old OBD2 scanner from awhile back.

Looks like Amazon has this cable...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088YNT9WL

Does this cable plug directly into the ecu or is there an easier accessible port / connector somewhere?
(thanks for the link!)

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kiseliok said:

Does this cable plug directly into the ecu or is there an easier accessible port / connector somewhere?
(thanks for the link!)

There is a socket with a rubber cover Under the shadow a bit Rearward of the battery you may have to kinda work it out to get to it.  The scanner only works for 2016 and on not on the 2015 I found that out after buying a set. But the 15 you can go look for codes through the instrument panel And also clear them

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 8/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, duckie said:

FWIW…….getting the cable and economical OBDII scanner is a wise investment. 

This way you can read the code and it just might be a simple fix not requring a trip to the dealer. 

I left my key on recently and drain the stock battery. Got a replacement and the check engine was on…no QS….no menu access….seems a pretty common failure.

Got a reader and read the code….It was related to throttle position voltage calibration. Cleared it, all was well and no trip to the dealer.

Funny... I got code P2135 which is also throttle voltage related, I cleared it and will see if it comes back.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, robzilla said:

Interesting, good to know! I saw a YT thread saying something about this, so thinking of getting the cable since I already have an old OBD2 scanner from awhile back.

Looks like Amazon has this cable...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088YNT9WL

PSA: the '21 and newer Tracer models use the new Euro5 6-pin connector: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T98XMLX?psc=1

If anyone is curious this $25 scanner from Amazon is what I used to read and clear my code: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS?psc=1

I used Torque Lite (free) on Android but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while - maybe the paid version is up to date? I may fork out the $5 to buy OBDFusion which gets great reviews on some car forums I frequent.

• Thumbsup 1