What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, piotrek said:

LOL... you're welcome. Now you have something to do. I use this link to blend to ~13.5 cSt@40. Bel-Ray HVI 3wt used to work, but it's no longer available... so I have to mix.

That's the same link I posted first 😝

And I already had a long winter maintenance TBC list.  As long as I'm now F&F'g the forks, I might as well add greasing the steering head bearings too.

It'll keep me motivated to get out of bed after my next two surgeries...

Maybe...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Gave the bike a good fondling down in the lower parts. Cleaned what I could, including the pipe, checked/greased swing arm and relay arm bearings etc. The thrust bearing on the shock spring preload ring was also serviced. All parts are ready to go back in there. New front sprocket and chain will follow. Found an issue with relay arm bearings that I will post in another thread.

20211211_1709531.thumb.jpg.877b55bb17ef5afb5e3402a18f277d37.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Just going to throw this out IMHO.  I will never change out front turn signals that are also running lights. I have on other bikes converted the fronts TO running lights. I sure don't want small microscopic turn signals.

No matter how bright they are, if you decrease the area covered they are less noticeable. I want all the help I can get with being seen from the front. I think people are geared to seeing bikes with a head light and turn signals lit up. Bikes were like that since the 70's.  Helps with telling speed and distance too. A single head light gets lost and you can't tell how far away it is.

Don't even get me started about bikes with no front lights or the headlight is aimed at the ground/can't see it anyway.

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

I changed the front turn signal running light bulbs to LED and then got is installed a used pair of front turn signal running lights on the rear also with LED bulbs.  Yes, they're Amber instead of red but so be it, and of course I added a low draw LED turn signal relay

I added a blaster X tail taillight, an auxiliary red LED brake light strip on the back edge of the top case rack, and a headlight modulator, and side cover LED Amber marker lights.

I think I have enough lighting along with reflective reflective wheel rim tape

You can't have too much conspicuity

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I sure don't want small microscopic turn signals. No matter how bright they are, if you decrease the area covered they are less noticeable.

Have to agree. Most tiny LED indicators don't have enough reflecting surface, and tend to twinkle in bright daylight, even when pointing forward. Side mounted flush mounts are as useful on a bike as they would be on cars, especially in a left-turn type scenario.

I replaced OE amber lenses with with clear, and installed switch-back LED bulbs in the front (running white and amber turn). There aren't brighter motorcycle indicators for miles. 😁

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

I purchased my 2015 fj-09 in July and from then I've put a BMC airfilter in and cut the snorkel half way up in the air intake box. Then replaced the seat, Sargent seat an the rear shock with a K-Tech and cut off the muffler and slipped on a Competition Werkes. Now I've replaced the rotors with Galfer wave and HH Sintered pads front and back. I also put a sump guard on it.

Next is Andreani fork cartridges and ECU flash.

Edited by Instinct28
  • Thumbsup 3

13 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

I purchased my 2015 fj-09 in July and from then I've put a BMC airfilter in and cut the snorkel half way up in the air intake box. Then replaced the seat, Sargent seat an the rear shock with a K-Tech and cut off the muffler and slipped on a Competition Werkes. Now I've replaced the rotors with Galfer wave and HH Sintered pads front and back. I also put a sump guard on it.

Next is Andreani fork cartridges and ECU flash.

You have great taste in mods! 

• Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

Filled up both of them and added fuel stabilizer. Adjusted mirrors, hand guards, clutch lever and the gear shifter as well as set up front suspension on the new one (new to me).

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

New chain went on. I ordered VX2 natural 110 that was on sale, but the supplier messed up and sent me VX3 gold 120 instead. Not a fan of the gold... but the price was right, so I'll be rocking some bling. Made a greasy fidget toy with the leftover links. 😛

goldchain.thumb.jpg.4fa17aab70e5627d134d06d2163a89ad.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I like the gold, it balances the bling on the forks; also IMO easier to clean but shows grime more.  Yin/Yang.

Because I've been going with a 520 chain the last two sets, I've gone with the DID 520 ZVM-X and Sprocket center's excellent Superlite sprockets.  But that DID has jumped about $45 since my last replacement!  So I'll likely try the new EK 520MVXZ-2 which has lightening holes and a "Quadra-X" O-rings.  $110 in Gold.

https://sprocketcenter.com/i-30498172-ek-chain-520-mvxz-2-quadra-x-ring-chain-choose-color-choose-length.html

They have 520 conversion kit with a lightened Superlite fronts & rears from $170 ($185 for the RK GXW 1200cc Gold chain and 47T rear which is +2 T and gives a great boost and put's the RPM where you need them at real world speeds).

Just sayin'

https://sprocketcenter.com/i-30499330-520-conversion-kit-superlite-rsx-sprocket-set-with-choice-of-chain-yamaha-fj-09.html

Every other chain I lube the swing arm & linkage bearings, which sometimes coincides with mounting new doughnuts with my NoMar machine.  A Handy Lift &  B&D Workmate, AC/Heat & great lighting make everything that much less unpleasant...

Sorry...

20200816_194157.jpg

20200816_194209.jpg

20200816_194224.jpg

20200730_104800.jpg

20200730_121149.jpg

20200730_125009.jpg

• Like 1

Mounted up Quadlock phone mounts on both the Tracer and the Tenere - both with wireless charging and vibration dampeners.

My home made wireless charging RAM X-Grip worked, but I find fiddling with the rubber band restraint and the X-Grip itself to be annoying with gloves on, which makes it more time consuming to quickly grab or replace the phone.  That fiddliness drove me in the past to ignore the rubber band for short trips, which resulted in a phone that came off the bike at 180, so... Not gonna do that. And while the XGrip+rubber band thing work well on the street, I'm deeply dubious about them offroad so getting another for the Tenere seemed dangerous.  The two Quadlock mounts, though, at provide a unified system across the two bikes so I can just mount and go no matter what I'm riding.  And less worries about vibration damaging my phone's camera.

Fancy!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Garybinnyc said:

Stripped her down today, Time to change the air filter. Was surprised how easy it was to remove the tank although I wish there was easier access to the filter, still no problem at all.

406B2719-C9DA-4841-8321-37F1EC708DFA.jpeg

A helpful tip for air filter maintenance. Replace the 11 mounting screws in the air box lid with hex head screws, I think I used 10mm, that way you can use your 10mm socket on a cordless drill attachment and have the job done in no time. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***