What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

[em][strong]MADE AND FITTED A DIY RADIATOR GUARD[/strong][/em]
I’m lucky enough to be able to get hold of woven stainless steel mesh at no cost, in a variety of gauges, from which I’ve made many radiator guards in the past.

Here’s today’s version.   It’s Exocet-missile proof, and a minor plus is that its bright silver steel finish gives the otherwise totally black radiator area a distinct visual ‘lift’.   The radiator on an FJ/ MT-09 is pretty large, so this minor addition could be very worthwhile.
P1030712r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I found this protection on:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mt-09%20tracer&rt=nc&LH_FS=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cluster-Anti-Scratch-Screen-Protector-Flim-Cover-For-Yamaha-FJ09-SUPER-TENERE/222523736798?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D09a5704fe73c4400942fe3d566beaf86%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172659714949
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cluster-Scratch-Protection-Film-Screen-Protector-for-Yamaha-FJ09-SUPER-TENERE/272414653109?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Ded3e8e2b4db74c5b81c473d9027b95cd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D222523736798

Free international shiping

PS if its forbiden to post links please remove the post...

The 'glass' screen on the information display has a bit of a record for being very easily scratched: apparently even the gentlest wipe with a gloved hand to brush away light dust collected on a day's ride will mark it!  And as I found out at the weekend, riding in bright sunshine, the reflection can be literally blinding - not a good thing! As I've done before I fixed both problems by affixing a piece of [strong]glare-resistant film[/strong] that's actually designed for mobile phones.   The slightly matte finish will reduce glare and the film will be more abrasion resistant too.
Since they are transparent and therefore all but invisible I cannot show pix of the two pieces that I bought online for AUD$6.   I ordered to suit a Galaxy S7 screen knowing it to be quite large, and it's a good fit but could usefully be a bit wider, though it will still work perfectly.   Alternatively, the second piece could be cut to fill the 1/2" wide gap, but I preferred to keep the second piece in reserve. 
There's only very light adhesive on the film, which is said to leave no residue when removed.   The film took only moments to apply, and on other installations has proved very useful.

I turn the traction control off and put it in B mode until I get out of town. Then its A mode. But once it becomes routine, you don't even notice what you're doing.

'15 FJ09

Started the 8000 mile service by installing the Akrapovic exhaust I recently picked up from a fellow forum member.

20170601_170455.jpg

20170601_170500.jpg

I also changed the oil (Yamaha filter and Yamalube 10W-40). Now I just need to lube all the pivots and do the throttle body sync. Which I plan to do when I get the ECU back. Not going to bother with changing the spark plugs.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

[strong][em]INSTALLED HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS...[/em][/strong]
I don’t know the replacement cost of the headlight lens or ‘glass’ on the MT/ FJ-09 if damaged, but on my previous BMW the entire headlight shell including the glass – which couldn’t be bought separately – was an eye-watering AUD$1502.

Having seen some pix and read some tales of badly-damaged headlight glass, I decided that this definitely makes some sort of headlight protector worthwhile. I’d used a product from a local Australian company called AMHP before, so it was the first on-line port of call for the Tracer.

The pair of headlight protectors arrived today, and as before was quickly and easily fitted. The AMHP product is exactly as described on-line, 3mm thick and nicely moulded to suit and closely fit the contours of the OE glass. The edges are polished and the whole item shouts of quality.

The protectors are all but invisible when installed, once you get over the initial rather ‘in-yer-face’ look of the 3M Dual Lock fasteners, but I know from experience that they soon become 'invisible' once you've walked round the bike a few times. 

The fasteners are rather like stiff and coarse-toothed Velcro, allowing easy and precise removal for cleaning and re-installation. But a tip, if I may – when handling make sure you have very clean hands, both to avoid dirtying the inside of the protector when fitting it and to keep the fasteners clean.

AUD$70 a pair, plus shipping of course.

[strong]Very highly recommended[/strong] from .

P1030717r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

20170602_124442.jpg

Running laps @ Grattan Raceway

20170602_173516.jpg

20170602_173821.jpg
Broke the tires in...on street I run 36/34... Track I was told to run 32/32 which I did, if it felt a squirmy at 32/32 bump the pressure down to 30/30...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

After track day with Jake from the FZ-07 forum...UPS left me goodies on my doorstep... Higdonion Cage fits the Graves Exhaust ?
20170602_181531.jpg

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Update on painted panniers. To answer the question of do you need to prime, the answer is yes.

Sad trombone.  Oh well, live an learn.

There was basically zero adhesion, I lifted all the paint off with just some packing tape.  So at least I could revert the panniers to unpainted status extremely easily.

qohviJp.jpg

20170601_170455.jpg 

That organe pin stripe looks GOOD.
Thanks! Its just 3M striping tape. You can get it on Amazon in a lot of different colors.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Cleaning in progress shot. Just showing how easily the paint is lifting off with strips of tape  :( 
W2rSUbK.jpg

Not to worry, steve - as you say, live and learn!   FWIW, when painting on plastics such as the pannier lids (which I plan to do once I receive them!) I always do a surface prep with ESP - [em]see pic below[/em].   It couldn't be easier - wipe on, leave five minutes, wipe off, paint after 90.   But the can warns [strong]not[/strong] to use under automotive paint.  
I'll do a test-spray on some out-of-sight part such as the underside of one pannier before venturing further.   I'd use a cheap-ish household enamel paint applied over an appropriate primer.   Thanks for the heads-up on this, steve - but console yourself that to this member at least the colour-match didn't look too good!

P1030723r.jpg

@wordsmith: I thought the color match was quite good. The shade of matte paints differ drastically in pictures depending on the angle light is hitting it at. You can't compare with the under seat trim piece because that's at different angles. Compare with the lower section of the tank. The rough surface of the pannier and the lack of clearcoat also probably contributed a little.

I will going to try again at some point, but this time with primer and clear.

• Premium Member
@wordsmith : I thought the color match was quite good. The shade of matte paints differ drastically in pictures depending on the angle light is hitting it at. You can't compare with the under seat trim piece because that's at different angles. Compare with the lower section of the tank. The rough surface of the pannier and the lack of clearcoat also probably contributed a little. 
I will going to try again at some point, but this time with primer and clear.
You need to use an adhesion promoter before your primer because those cases are probably some kind of polystyrene or polyethylene blend type of plastic and paint won't take to it like an abs plastic. Dupli-color makes it as well as most automotive paint manufacturers and auto parts stores should have it in stock.
BLB