What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 10/21/2020 at 3:00 PM, supersport said:

Stopped by the dealer the other day and there I saw a 2020 red Tracer GT, just like the one I bought there last June. Made me think about wrapping or painting my red panels. So I did a mock-up on Photoshop with black panels and I liked it. Took the four panels off and brought them to two wrap shops, but both thought it looked pretty difficult. Huh, what do I know. One guy suggested Plasti-dipping it. I'm not too much into the Plasti-dip thing, but I thought I'd try it since the panels were already off and prepped. Sprayed on five coats yesterday. Now that it's dry and back together, I'm happy with it. If it doesn't hold up,  I think I'll pull it off and paint the panels black.

Yamaha Tracer small.jpg

Totally honest here: If I could order those panels in a matte black, I'd do that.

I wrapped mine - I've got the Grey/Red/White 2019 model, and really didn't like the white lower panels (it's the only spot of white on the bike!).  Wrapping mine went pretty well, but TBH when it comes time to redo it, I'll just spray them with plastidip.  The vinyl works great, and has held up really well now it's into it's second winter, but it's pretty challenging to apply to this part.  Not impossibly so - this was my first vinyl wrapping experience and it went pretty well - but it was challenging. 

They really do just look significantly better in black, though.  On pretty much every GT color scheme. 

2019-12-15 12.48.10-1.jpg

2019-12-15 12.22.30-1.jpg

2019-12-17 20.53.10-1.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

Today I installed my new National Cycle polycarbonate Touring windscreen and did the seat mod to raise and level the seat as discussed in that thread, specifically using the technique outlined by Wintersdark. Got my Shad SH36 cases today, which look sweet, and am waiting for the mounting rack to come. Farkleville around here. 

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Today I installed my new National Cycle polycarbonate Touring windscreen and did the seat mod to raise and level the seat as discussed in that thread, specifically using the technique outlined by Wintersdark. Got my Shad SH36 cases today, which look sweet, and am waiting for the mounting rack to come. Farkleville around here. 

The SH36 bags are really nice, they are even nicer and more convenient if you get the removable inner bags.  I have been through torrential rain storms and they proved their watertight integrity. 👍

I think I am only one who tried the seat mod from @Wintersdark and couldn't get it to work, I tried it at least 6 times with slightly different size washers and each time I reinstall the seat there is a 1/2" gap between the seat and tank.  oh well 🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Girding for a ride, high of 45F today, rising a bit mid week up to 56 in a week.  Slowly!

Getting out the toe warmer pads, heavy weight bicycle tights, heated jacket liner and gloves, even with the headed grips, and Aerostich Transit 2 suit. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bidding for a ride, high of 45F today, rising a bit mid week up to 56 in a week.  Slowly!

Getting out the toe warmer pads, heavy weight bicycle tights, heated jacket liner and gloves, even with the headed grips, and Aerostich Transit 2 suit. 

Get out and enjoy the last riding days of the riding season while you can.  Winter is coming way too quickly this year, we already have snow on several of the mountain passes making travel treacherous.

30 minutes ago, betoney said:

Get out and enjoy the last riding days of the riding season while you can.

I booked My MOT test for Monday today (Government annual road safety and environmental check for our overseas readers) Usually have this done in April but given a six month extension because of the lockdown earlier this year. Could possibly be the last time out this year for Me, I tend to keep the bike off the road from November to March to avoid the worst of the winter weather. Hopefully turn the 10 mile round trip to the MOT garage into a good few hours out. End of season = sad sad days

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

But you're gonna keep right on riding...  

You're a better man that I am.

Fox 6 Respect GIF by WBRC FOX6 News

No kidding!  Seeing the bike covered in snow is just so WRONG.  Call me a wuss but I have no issues parking the bike for the winter in those conditions.  Brrrrrrr 🥶

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

Took her out for a wet and windy ride, still loved every minute of it! (and enjoyed the bacon bap even more because of the bad weather) 🙂 

IMG_1238 (1).JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

Love the blue, I sure hope North America goes back to normal colors soon, not a fan of black with colored side panels.

3 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

IMG_1239.JPG

It must be the angle the picture was taken at, but that topbox looks big enough to hide small children in.

• Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

But you're gonna keep right on riding...  

You're a better man that I am.

Fox 6 Respect GIF by WBRC FOX6 News

Not in this; though.  A little snow or slush sure, but there's like a solid foot out there right now.  That's just gross.  It's supposed to clear up now, though, after it snowed clear through the last 3 days.  

• Thumbsup 1

43 minutes ago, BBB said:

It must be the angle the picture was taken at, but that topbox looks big enough to hide small children in.

No, it's not the angle, you can fit several small children in it 🤣😁😂 and a small car, an elephant and a Schuberth helmet

• Haha 3