What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Dm23 said:

100%!! 

Just got back from a few hours through wine country back roads that aren't on fire and my favorite twisties. Ho Lee Fuk, what a difference. Amazing. Honestly was a little skeptical shelling out that much cash but it is well worth it. If you're debating it, do it!!

I had the same initial skepticism, and then the same revelation about the transformation from fun light-duty tourer to semi-serious sport bike.   Most modifications refine & improve a bike’s character;  suspension on an FJ/Tracer gives it an entirely new personality.  

Money very well spent!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Dark&Stormy said:

I used Duplicolor high performance bronze and Duplicolor matte clearcoat.

Looks great, I love the color, I have been contemplating having mine powder coated or painted the same color bronze.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 10/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, betoney said:

That is a REALLY loaded question, like going to Disney World and asking the staff "whats fun here?"...  Honestly, I could spend forever mentioning good riding in Oregon, northern California and Washington.  If you have a specific region or destination in mind, I could still spend forever but be much more specific with recommending routes.  The time of year will play a big part as well since some of the mountain passes are closed almost half the year due to snow closures.

If you have a starting and general ending area in mind, I will be more than happy to set up some Google Maps recommendations for you. 👍

Agree with betoney, there are a ton of great roads in Washington.

Some that you might consider (In no particular order)  would be:

1) State Forest Road 25 from Randle to Carson - road is a bit rough, but incredible twisty road through the State Forest is a blast. Ride is 80 miles with nothing except forest roads, so make sure you fill up on gas and food before you start) I like to go down, eat lunch and come back up the same way.

2) Hurricane Ridge Park - West of Seattle on the Olympic Peninsula. Incredible twisty road riding up (and back down) the mountain. And incredible views when you get to the rest area at top. (At the top, you can see over more than 18 separate peaks in the Olympic wilderness)

Avoid weekends and holidays, as it's not as much fun when the cagers are driving around....

3) North Cascade Highway - Highway 20 from Concrete to Twisp - make sure you stop at Ross Lake for the views - just make sure you fill up before this route, gas stations are sparse.

4) Highway 101 up (or down) the coast...

5) Mt Rainier - wear warm gear, it is chilly, even in the summer

6) Highway 97 north from Ellensburg to Leavenworth, from there you can head west on Hwy 2 to Seattle, or keep going north on hwy 2 to hwy 20 and go east across the North Cascade Highway - see #3

7) Hwy 821 from Ellensburg to Selah is a great canyon road following the Yakima River. starts at water level and climbs, and twists as you work your way through the canyons. about 33 miles, but I will sometimes take it both ways.

7) Roads in the Colville National forest are also very good, although I haven't spent too much time there - a bit far from where I live.

Just a few of my favorite rides, hope this useful.....

• Thanks 1

Well, I picked up and rode home my new to me Tracer GT. It was an interstate drone ride for about 190 miles. The bike was smooth, the cruise control works superb, suspension compliance on crappy Illinois roads was decent, the quick shifter was cool, the stock foot pegs suck, and this bike is a keeper!

The bracket to raise the seat was missing and will have to be ordered as I need the leg room + I will be ordering some lower pegs.....in the mean time my OEM Super Tenere pegs will be installed. I ordered a side stand big foot to help the lame stock side stand.

This will complement my 2015 Super Tenere and 2021 Tenere 700.

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/7/2020 at 10:16 AM, banderso said:

D&S,

Sweet! Excellent looking!

How many hours of preparation did it take?

See ya

bill

Too many!

I worked on them only when I had a few minutes to spare before starting work in the morning or after before going home late at night. I tried to use aircraft stripper, it kind of worked but I found it easier just to wet sand the paint off. (Factory paint is very thin)

The rear wheel had a deep gouge in the side of the rim from an aftermarket fender that had come loose while riding and got caught in the wheel. I filled the gouge with bondo and sanded it smooth. Then primered on a few coats, wet sanded again, painted each wheel with about 1.5 cans of paint (several coats) and then each wheel got a can each of matte clearcoat (many coats). I let them cure for about a week before waxing and remounting the tires. So in conclusion if you'd rather be riding I recommend taking this on as a winter project not a mid summer project as I did. (I couldn't ride anywhere anyway US border was closed)🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I modified a set of DL650 hand guards with some home made wind deflectors.  I had a sheet of plastic board (about 3.75mm thick), I just shaped it with a utility knife, Dremel tool and sanding sponge and then made the angle bends with a heat gun.  They are glued to the inside of the hand shield with E6000 industrial adhesive. 

They aren't the prettiest but they were free AND I got to fiddle with the bike for a few hours. Win, Win!

image.png.b301f977d0a49f41380b6c559cd7d90d.png

image.png.307efee01266635c7c68b5dc6bfdee11.png

image.png.1fcd756848fd1adcaf9fd90e8dd45e60.png

image.png.f52da2ecbf3eb1d7e36fc0e08f0e0978.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well My brother in law and I rode 100 mile today followed the RT6 along the south of Lake. Erie. A little breezy but otherwise perfect weather. Just turned over 2500 miles on my 2020 GT 900 , going to give it an oil change tomorrow. Hasn't given me one little problem. All   good!

MIKE

• Thumbsup 4

After a full month of 7 days a week, 12 hour days, finally enjoyed a day off to do all the random scheduled minor maintenance, oil change, etc for it's third service interval.  Everything done except pop in new spark plugs and throttle body sync (they hadn't arrived until after I finished for the day).  Also got a nice new shiny pair of heated, armored full length winter gloves to replace my older heated liners + shorty armored gloves - warm hands are happy hands in the winter!  

Trying to decide whether I should try again for some new springs, or just get a better winter riding jacket with the remainder of my overtime pay.

• Thumbsup 2