What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

2 hours ago, tktplz said:

I seem to get 3,200 to 3,600 out of sport touring tires like an Angel GT and hope to get 2,000 miles out of the S22 rear. And Texas roads are abrasive. We had many corners in The Hill Country that your front end just washed out and back jarring humps on straights. The chip seal there looks like it's crushed grey rock that has sharp edges. Through the corners a lot of the rock is gone and just the black shiny tar is left. The chip seal in Arkansas is like small beige to white small river pebble and is much easier on tires. NC is OK like Arkansas. These S22s should be fun. I love a good responsive tire. I would love to figure out how betoney gets 5,500 to 6,000 miles out of a set of S22s. It's a mystery!

Gotta be the road surface.  

I mean, the roads here are ultimately pretty smooth, never anything I'd call abrasive in the slightest.  There's chip seal on most, but it's very smooth pebbles and it doesn't come off.  Even the asphalt differs enormously though, from place to place. Here, my kickstand will sink into roads when it's like 28c/82f, and there's never concrete road surface.  I feel our roads in texas would be straight up liquid in the summer.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, tktplz said:

Spooned on a set of Bridgestone Battlax S22s that were recommended by betoney and also editors from motorcycle mags reviewing the 2021 Ninja 1000 that had the S22s as OEM tires. They were raving about them. We'll see...they sure are purdy!  :))

They are great tires and for the price they cant be beat.  After they are scrubbed in, push them to your comfort zone and then push them further and then a little bit further still... you will be amazed at how well they stick. 😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I hope you removed that foam glued to the under side of the tank.  Is the ECU flashed? 

I looked at that plastic dam. I think it keeps rain and water splash out.

All I did was cut this small piece of plastic and place it safely upside down so that air could enter the filter box more freely .... I left everything else as it is...I did not take out the sponge at the bottom of the tank since it did not obstruct somewhere .....! I also do not ride the motorcycle when it is raining

• Thumbsup 1

Started my first throttle body sync check on my bike. Not bad at all so far. About 30 minutes to get to them. Found one issue of concern and it happened during the bikes build because none of this has been off since I bought it new last november. Top valve cover vent hose up to bottom of air box twisted in a fashion that it had two kinks flat in it. I’ll reposition that properly on the reinstall process. Luckily I don’t have in oil leaks due to the hose being partially plugged in two spots. Basically the hose was twisted. 

Still early morning here so I’ll fire it up and get the engine warm later on today and check the balance. Wife works 2nd shift at a hospital so I don’t want to wake her up this early fiddling with my motorcycle. 

So far not a hard motorcycle to work on. I’ve seen way worse. It just rolled over 5k miles yesterday. Some noticeable vibration up past 6k rpms so they may be out a little. Idle is a little lumpy as well. Outside that it runs great as is! 

E3B45087-B1EB-4C72-B476-465B2A7694E5.jpeg

7882AC76-7D9F-4DBA-81AB-25741A512333.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

15 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I hope you removed that foam glued to the under side of the tank.  Is the ECU flashed? 

I looked at that plastic dam. I think it keeps rain and water splash out.

I am curious why you would remove the insulating foam from the underside of the tank.... isn't it there to specifically help avoid heating up the fuel which can throw off F/A mixtures?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roy826 said:

So far not a hard motorcycle to work on. I’ve seen way worse.

7882AC76-7D9F-4DBA-81AB-25741A512333.jpeg

Idle curiosity question:   How did you get the ECU out of the airbox lid with the wiring still attached?    I’ve always ended up disconnecting the wiring at the ECU before going any farther, since there doesn’t appear to be enough slack to do it any other way.  

1 hour ago, Clegg78 said:

I am curious why you would remove the insulating foam from the underside of the tank.... isn't it there to specifically help avoid heating up the fuel which can throw off F/A mixtures?

This has been discussed at length. Doubtful that the foam has any effect on fuel or air temps given the location of the tank and airbox.

2wheeldynoworks and vcyclenut (both tuners very familiar with our machines) will both tell you to remove the foam for better induction noise and increase in HP, atleast with regards to the earlier models.

If you are hesitant, then leave it alone... My FJ hasn't had foam there for 20k miles and I still love the induction noise :-).

Below is the link to the original post by 2wheeldynoworks regarding the removal of the foam...

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

46 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

This has been discussed at length. Doubtful that the foam has any effect on fuel or air temps given the location of the tank and airbox.

2wheeldynoworks and vcyclenut (both tuners very familiar with our machines) will both tell you to remove the foam for better induction noise and increase in HP, atleast with regards to the earlier models.

If you are hesitant, then leave it alone... My FJ hasn't had foam there for 20k miles and I still love the induction noise :-).

Below is the link to the original post by 2wheeldynoworks regarding the removal of the foam...

Ahh makes sense, and that does add up for folks who want more go-fast-noises. 

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

when I can I will take a photo to see that there is no reason to remove it, it does not interfere with anything😎

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Idle curiosity question:   How did you get the ECU out of the airbox lid with the wiring still attached?    I’ve always ended up disconnecting the wiring at the ECU before going any farther, since there doesn’t appear to be enough slack to do it any other way.  

You have to disconnect.  But then you reconnect it again so you can run the bike and do the throttle body sync.

4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Just pulled the wiring harness through the gap on side of air box and it slid right out. 

• Thumbsup 1

19 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

You have to disconnect.  But then you reconnect it again so you can run the bike and do the throttle body sync.

I never disconnected it and it was no problem getting it out or back in. 

Busy day today. I went ahead and mounted my new Bridgestone T31s I bought real cheap from RMATV back first of March. My decel front end wobble is completely gone with the stock Dunlop tire off the rim. 

0E706569-CB2C-4168-9155-D6313E326F68.jpeg

• Thumbsup 7

On 5/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, Clegg78 said:

Screenshot_20210512-000600.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, roy826 said:

I never disconnected it and it was no problem getting it out or back in. 

Huh.  The cables on mine are simply too short to allow that.  I absolutely have to disconnect/reconnect to do it. 

Edited by Wintersdark