What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

12 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

You think using something like this on a ratchet would help?   (would still take a while, but  was curious). image.thumb.png.9d824801de4df6895b8b98efe6115156.png

Probably not. Best option is a ratcheting wrench, stubby or regular length. 
These are the ticket if you really want to torque the fastener in place, instead of good and tight:

I prefer these to a crows foot (what you posted) but every situation is different.

-Skip 

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

Probably not. Best option is a ratcheting wrench, stubby or regular length. 
These are the ticket if you really want to torque the fastener in place, instead of good and tight:

I prefer these to a crows foot (what you posted) but every situation is different.

-Skip 

Makes sense, honestly, I have been trying to find a reason to own a set of the crows feet :)  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

You think using something like this on a ratchet would help?   (would still take a while, but  was curious). image.thumb.png.9d824801de4df6895b8b98efe6115156.png

I thought about a crows foot, but didn't have one on hand. It looks like it would work, but I think the stubby wrench or @betoney's suggestions are better. 

Just pulled my new Ohlins rear shock to have the starting preload adjusted by my guy.  this was way easier than I thought it would be.   I used a write up from here  (that uses a technique echoed above).  No stubby wrenches needed :)   

So I spent a few minutes studying the shock and linkage area...

The biggest issue I had so far (haven't reinstalled it yet) was getting the top bolt out as its covered in tubes and cable runs.   I removed the lower link bolt which made everything a snap... no removing the rear wheel, etc... I used the center stand and have a 2x4 under it for some additional clearance.   Total time to remove was probably 25min. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

Just reinstalled.  Used the front mount in-first method.  With the lower rear link bolt out.   I used a low profile floor jack to precisely raise the rear tire to get everything aligned.  I did use the shorty 14mm but didnt really need to, I seemed to get a good bit of movement out of a full size gear wrench that I had on the other side.   

Toughest part was getting the bolt in under the top of the rear arm, just fidgety shit.   Other than that it took ~ 45min to get the shock in and fully mounted not counting the time to put the fender back on, and set sag. 

• Thumbsup 1

Hoverbike!  Took the wheels in to have the tires changed.  Went in with my road 5's, but saw a set of T32's on hand there decided I'd give em a go.  If I die horribly in a twisted wreck of flaming metal, I'm haunting @betoney :)

And while I'm at it, off come the forks for some quality spring changing.  Here's hoping that works out well!

20210503_191639.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Hoverbike!  Took the wheels in to have the tires changed.  Went in with my road 5's, but saw a set of T32's on hand there decided I'd give em a go.  If I die horribly in a twisted wreck of flaming metal, I'm haunting @betoney :)

And while I'm at it, off come the forks for some quality spring changing.  Here's hoping that works out well!

20210503_191639.jpg

That's how I do it as well! ( I use the handlebars  but using the frame guards looks like a better option!

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Lol, I claim NO RESPONSIBILITY. 😄  The T32's are brand new, I haven't tried a set yet.  I will wait for your analysis on their performance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yeah, it's not suspended by the straps, but they're there to save me a lot of stress when wrenching.  The weight is on the floor jacks (header H pipe and one of the engine guards) but the straps ensure bumping the bike isn't going to result in tears.  

10 minutes ago, betoney said:

Lol, I claim NO RESPONSIBILITY. 😄  The T32's are brand new, I haven't tried a set yet.  I will wait for your analysis on their performance.

Whoops, T31's, the previous version.  

Mostly just because I feel my Road 5 rear won't last till winter, and the set of T31's cost roughly the same as a new rear road 5 - and paying the $50 to mount my old road 5 then shelling out another $50 this summer for the inevitable replacement seemed a waste of time.  

Eventually I'll get a changer so I can hopefully manage swapping rubber myself. 

I went for a short lunch-time ride yesterday. I discovered the Barkbuster brackets can cause an issue with the clutch safety switch and the MC Cruise. I tried to engage the cruise, and nothing happened. Fortunately, MCC includes an easy diagnostic at the control switch: hold the power button for 10 seconds, and the red LED will flash a code. 

It turns out the Barkbuster bracket was pushing on the wires from the clutch switch enough to disconnect the splitter wire that goes to the MCC brain. I quick adjustment of the angle on the handguards fixed the issue. 

Also, I do love how that new white vinyl sparkles in the sun!

11 hours ago, betoney said:

I'll let you know how they are when I swap tires. I bought a set of T32s for the tracer during the rebate period last month. With the rebate, a set of T32s cost a few $ more than a single rear Road 5. I know the Michelins are good, but I don't know if they are worth the difference for me. 

I've been really happy with the AX41 on my Dirt Ninja. Really grippy on the road and give a lot of confidence in the dirt. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

It turns out the Barkbuster bracket was pushing on the wires from the clutch switch enough to disconnect the splitter wire that goes to the MCC brain. I quick adjustment of the angle on the handguards fixed the issue. 

This sounds like yet another reason to recommend the single-point Barkbuster mount, it wouldn't cause this problem. 

You may want to check that the wire and ferrule are still in good condition. This sounds to me like a problem that will come back. 

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, kilo3 said:

@Wintersdark

How many miles did you get on your road 5's?

They're still certainly useable, so I don't know yet.  I put 15,000 kilometers on sets as a fair average, but that's with still a significant amount of tread left over the wear bars; but because I'm paying $50/tire to have them mounted, it's often not worth re-mounting them when they are that worn when I can sell the used tires for $50 each. 

I really need to get myself a tire changer.