What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

21 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Why didn't you get / mount the wheel stop - vice?  It obviate the need for tie downs unless you're really cranking on something laterally.

I've had mine since I built the Bret Cave in 95.  It was about $650 delivered with the wheel stop-vice, ramp and dolley.  The foot rocker valve wears and leaks and the nylon sleeve and O-ring that used to come on the valve spindle have gotten ridiculously expensive since the buyout. 

Last week I tried to raise it and heard air leaking underneath but haven't rolled off the VTR to check it out yet..  I'm hoping it's just a cracked (original!) air hose at the cylinder rather than a blown shaft seal.

They didn't offer a model with the rear wheel drop out panel back then; maybe even had only one model.

Best investment I ever made for the shop along with heat & AC and a 2 cylinder 20 cfm @ 100 psi 60 gallon 6 hp compressor!

I have a wheel chock on there. It holds the bike pretty solidly. I have the tie downs as extra insurance. With a small shop "helper," I didn't want to take any chances. I also wanted a little more stability for when I jacked up the rear to get the center stand down.

• Thumbsup 2

On 1/20/2015 at 5:50 PM, yamaham said:

Givi soft bags.
0RS3Tx0.jpg

34 minutes ago, petshark said:

image.thumb.png.16d1632c686b44b52bec18b7cbd94422.png

Installed JT front sprocket with rubber damping + Supersprox Stealth rear + DID VX3 chain. Aligned with motion pro tool and 40 mm of play.
After that nasty rear sprocket disaster I'm finally back on the road. Yes! And the best is yet to come; Wednesday is Ohlins day! 🔥

Love the gold chain.. I want to do the same but struggling with whether or not to replace the sprockets, only have 3700 miles on the stock so far.. But really like the gold chain

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Love the gold chain.. I want to do the same but struggling with whether or not to replace the sprockets, only have 3700 miles on the stock so far.. But really like the gold chain

20 minutes ago, skipperT said:

@Garybinnyc If you really want a new gold chain, now’s a good time to do it. Keeping the old sprockets shouldn’t be an issue.

If the sprockets still look good they may even love you for it. There are many reports that the stock chain is of poor quality but none about the sprockets AFAIK so they should last you longer (the life of the new chain at least?).

You may already know this but just in case: you'll also need a chain riveting tool if you're going to install it yourself.

27 minutes ago, petshark said:

If the sprockets still look good they may even love you for it. There are many reports that the stock chain is of poor quality but none about the sprockets AFAIK so they should last you longer (the life of the new chain at least?).

You may already know this but just in case: you'll also need a chain riveting tool if you're going to install it yourself.

Thanks!! Yeah the sprockets look like they’re in excellent condition so may just do the chain. I found a local place that will install a new chain for $80,, not bad. 

16 minutes ago, Garybinnyc said:

Thanks!! Yeah the sprockets look like they’re in excellent condition so may just do the chain. I found a local place that will install a new chain for $80,, not bad. 

I assume that is not with the chain included? Because the chain itself costs more than that. 😀

https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-525VX3G118FB-Black-525VX3-X-Ring/dp/B083FK6YF5

2 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Yes .. that’s for the install and need to purchase separately. 

I have no idea if that is a good price. It took me less than half an hour and it's the first time that I've done this. It can easily be done in 15 minutes be an experienced mechanic IMO. But if you trust them it's probably worth it to pay a little extra because it really has to be done right. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

I started changing chain and sprockets yesterday, but didn't realize I don't have a 30mm socket for the front sprocket! I should have the socket later today. 

I have not had a front sprocket this bad before. The change has had stiff links for the last 2k miles. 15k miles on the original set. The bike had to live outside for a few months while the garage was rebuilt, so the chain got pretty nasty. 

I'm going up 2 teeth on the rear. Should be fun! I'll finish the master link once I can swap the front sprocket. 

20210514_133328.thumb.jpg.2a99f1dcf3b66eebc1a9609a2784ab3e.jpg

20210514_133337.thumb.jpg.ee9699f3f8db40383c625ea0eeabec54.jpg

20210515_101012.thumb.jpg.77ff17c023ec2ec62c465fe42c629760.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, petshark said:

image.thumb.png.16d1632c686b44b52bec18b7cbd94422.png

Installed JT front sprocket with rubber damping + Supersprox Stealth rear + DID VX3 chain. Aligned with motion pro tool and 40 mm of play.
After that nasty rear sprocket disaster I'm finally back on the road. Yes! And the best is yet to come; Wednesday is Ohlins day! 🔥

Oh, that chain and sprocket are hawt.  Looks amazing.  

I love me some shiny sprocket and chain; even if they never stay pretty long.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

The bike had to live outside for a few months while the garage was rebuilt, so the chain got pretty nasty. 

I'm going up 2 teeth on the rear. Should be fun! I'll finish the master link once I can swap the front sprocket. 

20210514_133328.thumb.jpg.2a99f1dcf3b66eebc1a9609a2784ab3e.jpg

20210514_133337.thumb.jpg.ee9699f3f8db40383c625ea0eeabec54.jpg

Yikes!!!   😲 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Omg, that front sprocket is done.  

Edit: You know, I haven't looked at my front sprocket in a really long time.  I ought to do that tomorrow.  For all I know, mine looks like this.  It sure as hell better not; but still.

Edited by Wintersdark