What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

The bike had to live outside for a few months while the garage was rebuilt, so the chain got pretty nasty. 

20210514_133328.thumb.jpg.2a99f1dcf3b66eebc1a9609a2784ab3e.jpg

20210514_133337.thumb.jpg.ee9699f3f8db40383c625ea0eeabec54.jpg

20210515_101012.thumb.jpg.77ff17c023ec2ec62c465fe42c629760.jpg

SALT Lake City - location checks out. For that much corrosion, you must live on Antelope Island. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:53 AM, petshark said:

I have no idea if that is a good price. It took me less than half an hour and it's the first time that I've done this. It can easily be done in 15 minutes be an experienced mechanic IMO. But if you trust them it's probably worth it to pay a little extra because it really has to be done right. 👍

Yeah, I've only ever done it myself.  Most of my life, with old school master links, but my MT07's second chain was my first rivetted chain and while I'd never done it before, the tool cost some $20 and it took about an hour as well, and that was mostly just figuring out exactly what I was doing and watching videos on it.  I'll definitely do my own next time, as it was really, really easy (and honestly, while again I have no idea what normal rates are for that so I'm not saying the shop is overpricing it) and I'd simply not pay someone $80 to do it as a result.  

Not a slight on someone deciding to pay to have it done; I 100% get "I just want it done and done right, and am not interested in buying more tools and maybe screwing it up."  While it's very easy to do and quite straight forward and obvious, it is something that you can screw up.  Also just like going to a quick oil change place, sometimes you've got the cash and just couldn't be bothered with the greasy hassle 😃

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

For the last 2 chainz I've gone to a 520 and 2 up on the rear.  Sprocket Center Superlite sprockets and DID ZVMX GOLD chain. Lasted about 20,000 each, so EQ to 525.

Lighter and faster spin up, more torquey, nice improvement. 

Screenshot_20210517-153053_Chrome.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, I've only ever done it myself.  Most of my life, with old school master links, but my MT07's second chain was my first rivetted chain and while I'd never done it before, the tool cost some $20 and it took about an hour as well, and that was mostly just figuring out exactly what I was doing and watching videos on it.  I'll definitely do my own next time, as it was really, really easy (and honestly, while again I have no idea what normal rates are for that so I'm not saying the shop is overpricing it) and I'd simply not pay someone $80 to do it as a result.  

I didn’t include the watching of video’s in my half hour estimate. I did order the heavy duty version of the rivet tool and found out that it has missing pieces so I had to customise the tool and drill out an extra hole. I almost messed it up as the plates were exactly the same distance apart as the other links but when riveting the pin it turned out that the little anvil was pushing the backplate before the pin touched the bottom of the hole. So it ended up slightly closer together but luckily the link still moves as freely as the rest.

Just a warning that getting this more expensive heavy duty version is not recommended.

image.thumb.png.c221bd4c2b68a2bfa1e7d37225062dc1.png

20 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

SALT Lake City - location checks out. For that much corrosion, you must live on Antelope Island. 

The corrosion started after I rode I-80 in the rain. It's amazing how much salt residue from the lake ends up on the road. 

I think a chain oiler is in my future 😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Added on some Pyramid Plastics bits to the bike.  The Hugger Extender and Fender Extender + the rubber Shock protector. 

I figured with the new Ohlins goodness on the front and back I wanted to protect the shock a tad more, and I am tired of riding in rain/dirt and getting the backs of my legs covered in gunk. 

I am going to leave on a week long trip just kind of meandering in northern NM (Going to potentially visit the spot I almost killed the bike last fall... ) and then Monument valley.  I am planning to ride on dirt/gravel roads for close to 100 miles on this trip.   So I wanted a tad more protection. 

I am also finishing up my modifications to the SW-Motec sump guard with some cold rolled stainless plate + thick EDPM rubber (to blunt any blow by the stainless). To avoid a rock still taking out my sump like it did last year. 

20210518_182100668_iOS.jpg

20210518_182055343_iOS.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Here is my "sump up armor" upgraded :)  Been thinking about this since I crumpled a sump protector and my sump last fall.  (I ordered all these parts back in Sept 25th, 3 days after I broke the sump!)

The ingredients:

• SW-Motec Sump Guard.
  • 4"x6"  1/8" Hot Rolled 304 Stainless Plate
  • 6x6" 1/8" EDPM Adhesive Rubber (Good at high temps and chemically tolerant from oil etc...)
  • 4x M5x14mm Zinc Plated Alloy Steel screws (Stronger than stainless screws)
  • 4x 5mm Nyloc Nuts, and 4x 5mm Stainless washers

I drilled the stainless plate first and kept the bolts as far back at the rear as is reasonable to keep clearance from the sump, and the front inset 10mm from the front.   I threaded them with a 5mm tap.   I Used the stainless plate as a guide to drill the SW-Motec sump guard.  I Counter sunk the bottom holes and (and slightly the stainless plate to give clearance for the neck of the threaded part of the bolt). 

Everything came together well.   it does add maybe 1-1.5# to the sump guard but this is the lowest point in the bike so I am not worried about that.   The plate covers the entire low point of the sump and extends a few inches in front right to the back edge of the sump guard. 

The EDPM is there to blunt a hit,  if you hit a rock hard or crush the SW Motec Supports (they are supposed to), the sump guard will come into contact with the sump... I would like to soften that blow as much as possible to avoid cracking the sump.  1/8" of EDPM should do nicely with that.

20210518_204824113_iOS.jpg

20210518_204743855_iOS.jpg

20210518_203815121_iOS.jpg

2021-05-18_14-54-16.jpg

2021-05-18_14-54-54.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

First attempt at the "cal-sci" vent on OEM windscreen. It is still more noisy than my puig but I could tell there was less turbulence than the non - vented OEM.  I think I need to make it bigger all around. Like maybe a centimeter. 

68259CC8-9C17-41CD-8667-A49C45B03E2C.jpeg

91A4F9C0-D482-48D3-924B-3F43D7BC2FA3.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I was able to get on the GT today and ride it for the first time in 2 months, since having surgery. The bike ran great, but I did stop at the T-shirt Company Dealer and put a $100 deposit down on a Pan America. It's the only way the local dealer will give test rides, so I have first right of refusal on the very first one the dealer gets. The GT is not going anywhere and I'm not stupid enough to buy any HD product  in it's first model year.

• Haha 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

15 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

The corrosion started after I rode I-80 in the rain. It's amazing how much salt residue from the lake ends up on the road. 

I think a chain oiler is in my future 😁

Can't recommend one enough.  Our roads are *heavily* salted through much of the year.  Calgary, Alberta winters, yo; it's still snowing in May.  

When I was manually cleaning my chain every weekend, it was still constantly rusting.  I haven't cleaned this chain once since the installation of my Tutoro, and it's still new looking.  Also, no more mucky chain cleaning.  I mean, chain cleaning isn't a bad thing and it's kinda fun... Until you're doing it once or more a week, then it's just messy work. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I was able to get on the GT today and ride it for the first time in 2 months, since having surgery. The bike ran great, but I did stop at the T-shirt Company Dealer and put a $100 deposit down on a Pan America. It's the only way the local dealer will give test rides, so I have first right of refusal on the very first one the dealer gets. The GT is not going anywhere and I'm not stupid enough to buy any HD product  in it's first model year.

I'm actually really interested in an objective (that is, regular rider without any particular attachment to HD) review of how it rides.  

The ADVRider forum has several owners now, and dozens who've test ridden the Pan America. All the feedback is really positive. I have been rooting for Harley to succeed with the PA, and I think they have. I have a test booked, but the demo truck won't be here until September. I think I'll pop into the dealer to see if they were alloted a demo bike. I could see one in my garage someday in the next few years. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm actually really interested in an objective (that is, regular rider without any particular attachment to HD) review of how it rides.  

7 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

The ADVRider forum has several owners now, and dozens who've test ridden the Pan America. All the feedback is really positive. I have been rooting for Harley to succeed with the PA, and I think they have. I have a test booked, but the demo truck won't be here until September. I think I'll pop into the dealer to see if they were alloted a demo bike. I could see one in my garage someday in the next few years. 

I have read several reviews as well and all comments are surprised at just how good it is.  I have never been an HD fan but I am impressed with what I am hearing about this so far, I hope its a sales success for them.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***