What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

15 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Put a hole in the oil pan. Looks like a rock hit it. 70 miles into a planned 1000 mile weekend. Just sitting waiting for AAA to flatbed the bike home. 

Can I just drop the oil pan to replace it or do I have to pull the whole exhaust?

EDIT TO ADD: AAA can't find a towing service to get the bike. It would have saved me an 1.5 hours if I would have known that and I could have gotten my son to come pick me up. So now AMA and AAA have refused to pick me up in the MS Delta. 

EDITED AGAIN: Traced the oil leak over a mile back from the traffic light where I noticed the leak. Nothing. No dip. No bump. Just a random rock.

0604211530_HDR.jpg

0604211522a.jpg

Ughhh. Sorry to hear that. I suppose 70 miles from home is a lot better than 500!

Yes, you have to drop the exhaust to replace it, at least I did. 

Were you able to find a tow?

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Put a hole in the oil pan. Looks like a rock hit it. 70 miles into a planned 1000 mile weekend. Just sitting waiting for AAA to flatbed the bike home.

EDIT TO ADD: AAA can't find a towing service to get the bike. It would have saved me an 1.5 hours if I would have known that and I could have gotten my son to come pick me up. So now AMA and AAA have refused to pick me up in the MS Delta.

0604211522a.jpg

Sorry to hear of this situation, what a crappy way to have a ride ruined.  Hopefully you were able to get it hauled back home.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Sorry to hear of this situation, what a crappy way to have a ride ruined.  Hopefully you were able to get it hauled back home.

I was. I was less than 1.5 hours from home so my son picked me up in our pickup truck. I'm very frustrated that it took AAA an extra 1.5 hours to let me know that the tow truck they promised was on its way was never on its way. I switched to AAA after 2 years ago the AMA roadside assistance contractor told me - no joke - they only tow cars. 

52 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

How fast do you think you were going at impact?

Sure it wasnt a random bullet?

Sure seems small to penetrate the pan.

65 to 70 mph. 2 lane state highway in the middle of farm land. Gentle curves. No gravel around when we drove back past. No people or other cars around that I saw. I was surprised about the size of the hole, too.  Probably why I could ride more than a mile while leaking oil. The hole is high enough that I'm not sure a skid plate would have mattered.

I'm very thankful that I was able to pull into a rest stop. The shoulder where it happened was only a couple inches wide with a ditch on either side of the road. 

I'm also thankful that Arkansas House in Jasper and Lemley's in Calico Rock offered me a credit for a future stay. They are both small, local motels with no refund policies on the day of arrival. Looking forward to this trip before the end of the year. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
On 6/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, skipperT said:

Just so you’re aware, the spacer on our forks fits INSIDE the progressive spring at the top. So these washers may not work depending on the ID. (Someone may have to be a guinea pig and let us know if they fit)...

-Skip

I have Sonic .95 springs I put them washers on the bottom of the spacer and on top, which also protects the flimsy OEM spacer from the fork cap...

20181220_183153.jpg

20181220_184250.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:05 PM, 1moreroad said:

Can I just drop the oil pan to replace it or do I have to pull the whole exhaust?

EDITED AGAIN: Traced the oil leak over a mile back from the traffic light where I noticed the leak. Nothing. No dip. No bump. Just a random rock.

0604211530_HDR.jpg

0604211522a.jpg

This is the second instance I've read about this....don't even remember where I read the first, but it prompted me to register.....been lurking for a while. I may get a pan guard.....don't know if it's any more prevalent on this bike than others or not. What an instant shut down for a trip.  That stinks about finding about the AMA and AAA not being able to help you. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I only saw 93 yesterday with thankfully low humidity so with proper hydration and evaporative cooling I was able to enjoy a beautiful day and maintain a good pace when desired from start to finish...

Shaded picniclunch of fried chicken overlooking the beach on the lake in Palmyra, WI.

E0 91 octane available in town, as well as ice cream; sadly no frozen custard.😆

20210605_201408.jpg

20210605_161122.jpg

20210605_161107.jpg

20210605_161102.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Put on a new tire and chain. The tire had not one but two plugs in it. There is a story in itself with that one but I'll just say I am not a fan of the cartridges.  With the new tire and chain on I went and did a little exploring and had a great ride.

collage-may.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

On 6/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, 1moreroad said:

0604211530_HDR.jpg

0604211522a.jpg

The oil pan replacement is super easy,  you do need to drop the exhaust but that’s pretty easy.  Order the replacement gasket and if you want the exhaust gaskets as well.  I also replaced the rubber o ring on the oil level sensor.  

I am intimately familiar with the pain you are in …

091720-1902-DSC05525.jpg?w=640

About a week ago I left on a motorcycle trip/adventure as I talked...

15 hours ago, tracer847 said:

This is the second instance I've read about this....don't even remember where I read the first, but it prompted me to register.....been lurking for a while. I may get a pan guard.....don't know if it's any more prevalent on this bike than others or not. What an instant shut down for a trip.  That stinks about finding about the AMA and AAA not being able to help you. 

After seeing how these oil pans can break and dealing with mine, the aluminum is very brittle and thin in areas…. The blunt flat face is a great target for a rock to be kicked up.  A sump guard is highly recommended IMO. 

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, mikerbiker said:

Graves plates in, AIS out.

I did the same.  Really cleaned up that area by getting rid of all the AIS plumbing… 

• Thumbsup 2