What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Wrapped up my 2nd trip in a month,  1100 miles in 3 days.  Every day riding in triple digit heat. 

Dropped the bike (mentioned above) in a sketchy parking lot.   Rode on the skirts of some crazy super cell storms near Taos,  pretty much burned up the rear tire (5500mi on it, mostly done touring.  Rounded off the flat area nicely this last trip, but still burned past the wear bars in the center) - replacing with T32's this week, and smashed all the bugs on the wind screen :) 

Those Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's did well, handled a lot of loose ground rather well.   But they wore very weird... the sides seem pretty firm and hard wearing compared to other dual compound tires... I hammered corners and they still look new.  The center though evaporated fast. 

Max air temp the bike reported when riding on the freeway near ABQ - 112F.  (rear TPMS sensor maxed at 140F at one point).  Riding in full pants + touring jacket + helmet.   I wetted my shirt a bunch and in the dry desert air it kept me nice and cool even at those temps.

Totaling close to 2800mi of riding in under 4 weeks.

2021-06-17_12-15-01.jpg

2021-06-17_12-16-00.jpg

2021-06-17_12-16-52.jpg

20210616_033116000_iOS.png

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Dropped the bike (mentioned above) in a sketchy parking lot.

It must be the fricking season for it. I dropped mine on Monday on a gravel, sloped side road that I’d ended up on by mistake. Did a U turn and the front wheel dropped into a pothole, then I slipped on the gravel when I put my foot down. It was hard work picking up the bike on a low friction slope! The SW Motech engine guards took 90% of the damage and 30 minutes of rubbing down then a coat of paint and all is good again.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

46 minutes ago, BBB said:

It must be the fricking season for it. I dropped mine on Monday on a gravel, sloped side road that I’d ended up on by mistake. Did a U turn and the front wheel dropped into a pothole, then I slipped on the gravel when I put my foot down. It was hard work picking up the bike on a low friction slope! The SW Motech engine guards took 90% of the damage and 30 minutes of rubbing down then a coat of paint and all is good again.

Yup!  I cant say enough for the crash bars on my bike, they took the entire hit (other than the cases... which cant be avoided if they are on),  This weekend I am going to sand the scratches and hit it with some good rattle can paint :)   if the bars werent on the bike I imagine the damage would be far more and more expensive. 

Ohh , I also adjusted the bars on the bike, just angled them down  (toward me, but slightly lower then) by a few degrees, and it solved my outer hand pain issues I was having.   Super minor change, and reangled the levers after the adjustment, but a real difference for all day riding. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

20210614_123951.jpg

20210614_124002.jpg

20210614_180528.jpg

Who makes that little protector for the water pump? My buddy low-sided his MT-09, and would have been able to ride it home if that hose hadn't been ripped hitting the pavement. I have sliders, but I think that hose would still be exposed.

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Who makes that little protector for the water pump?

+1 @BBB - Curious if they still make those, it kind of matches the bronze color on the other side of the motor, or close enough for me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

33 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Who makes that little protector for the water pump? My buddy low-sided his MT-09, and would have been able to ride it home if that hose hadn't been ripped hitting the pavement. I have sliders, but I think that hose would still be exposed.

They are super cheap from eBay. I can’t find the exact ones, but here is something similar.

s-l400.jpg

Oil Catch Tank. Car Modification Parts. For YAMAHA MT07. Engine Case...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

Today I officially got the bike suitable for summer, I removed my plastic hand guards to allow airflow (I use the DL650 hand guards with wind deflectors and they block ALL of the airflow) and changed the winter screen for the smaller Parabellum flyscreen.

Screen.jpg

Screen2.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I rode my Tracer GT 695 miles today from the MSTA STAR rally in Davis, WV to my home near St Louis.  I started out in 42 degree weather with light fog and ended the day in 98 degree temperatures near my home.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I rode my Tracer GT 695 miles today from the MSTA STAR rally in Davis, WV to my home near St Louis.  I started out in 42 degree weather with light fog and ended the day in 98 degree temperatures near my home.

That's a haul!  I still need to sort out my seat for those kinds of distances... 550mi is the most I've done in a day and that was a looong day.    Bummer is the only way to do those kind of distances is to just use the interstate... zero fun roads can be had and cover that kind of ground :(

25 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

That's a haul!  I still need to sort out my seat for those kinds of distances... 550mi is the most I've done in a day and that was a looong day.    Bummer is the only way to do those kind of distances is to just use the interstate... zero fun roads can be had and cover that kind of ground :(

I had to get home and get my Super Tenere packed…..will be in Ft Collins, CO on Monday night enroute Great Falls, MT for the BMWOA rally.  It is a quick turn around;  otherwise, I would have taken some secondary roads back from Davis, WV on the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 2