What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

I replaced the stock chain on my 19 900GT, the chain was one of the one's with the O-rings that self destructed. The sprockets were in good shape with 10050mi on theme. I used a D.I.D X-ring and I'm very happy with the results, the chain fixed a vibration that the bike had since new.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

18 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I replaced the stock chain on my 19 900GT, the chain was one of the one's with the O-rings that self destructed. The sprockets were in good shape with 1050mi on theme. I used a D.I.D X-ring and I'm very happy with the results, the chain fixed a vibration that the bike had since new.

Your chain ate itself in 1050 miles??? Wow, that's bad.  I'm at 6500 miles chain is still good.

• Premium Member

I had 15,000 miles on my FJ09 that I traded.  Stock chain with a lot of hard pulls out of a lot of curves.  And lots of cleaning with a grunge brush.  

17 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Better, but still sucks. So I've got maybe 5k miles left in my chain.

Changed mine at high 12,000s to low 13,000s. Had links kinking. Well cared for chain, lubed religiously. Sprockets still good, no vibration. Up to 17,000 now on the new chain and all is good. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

Installed the new oil pan. Lowered the exhaust onto the centerstand without removing the centerstand. Hardest part was lining up exhaust while keeping the copper rings from falling out while putting everything back together. Very much appreciate the how to's on this forum. Still have to wait for a skidplate - my 1st SW Motech 2 piece was badly bent shipped from Revzilla. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The trick for keeping the copper crush gaskets in the head when you install the headers is to put some high temperature RTV silicone on them and stick them into the head after cleaning it up

Wam bam thank you mam

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The trick for keeping the copper crush gaskets in the head when you install the headers is to put some high temperature RTV silicone on them and stick them into the head after cleaning it up

When bam thank you mam

Thanks. Wasn't sure what "adhesive" was safe to use. Managed to balance them just right and not disturb them while I manipulated the headers into place. 

Removed my passenger pegs and case tabs. If I was honest to myself, I only use my bags twice, maybe three times a year. Now that I've had the bike for over a year I'm starting to push it and I'd much rather drag peg than toe. Feet are just too long to get the ball of my foot on without interface from the bracket.

PXL-20210626-234841023.jpg PXL-20210626-234833881.jpg

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Removed my passenger pegs and case tabs. If I was honest to myself, I only use my bags twice, maybe three times a year. Now that I've had the bike for over a year I'm starting to push it and I'd much rather drag peg than toe. Feet are just too long to get the ball of my foot on without interface from the bracket.

PXL-20210626-234841023.jpg PXL-20210626-234833881.jpg

I've considered doing this. How much time would you estimate to put them back on when needed?

image.thumb.png.89ce3b7edd3dbde982b2f657afa044fb.pngI did this two days ago but I always forget to post what I did here.

I replaced the coolant. The bike is 2 years old now. First I watched some videos and read up on *sigh* yet another controversy about what coolant should be used, then went with Ethylene Glycol-based as per the manual.

I first drained as normal and disconnected one big hose that obviously held a lot of liquid hanging down below the drain bolt and then flushed with 50/50 demineralized water and white vinegar. Got the bike up to temp to let the pump do it's work, let the engine cool down and drained again. Then the same procedure with only demineralized water. Finally filled up with the new coolant. I also gave the overflow tank a good cleaning and the parts of the engine that I could now reach behind.

The bike seemed very happy with the attention and gave me a trouble free ride afterwards. No stuttering or anything. Maybe I've been going at this all wrong, trying to find scientific answers as to why the bike isn't happy, it just wants love and affection! 👍😎

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, petshark said:

I've considered doing this. How much time would you estimate to put them back on when needed?

5 mins, but the problem is the roads I really want to push it on, I'd want the cases.😟

16 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Thanks. Wasn't sure what "adhesive" was safe to use. Managed to balance them just right and not disturb them while I manipulated the headers into place. 

2 or 3 blobs of grease works also. IMHO a better choice as it burns up and won’t need to be removed later, unlike silicone. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, kilo3 said:

What size feet?  I find with my 12's I can ride with my heels on the passenger pegs and balls of my feet on the main pegs very comfortably.  It's a bit strange at first, but you get used to it quick and it's like some unholy combination of floorboards and sport bike rearsets.  But it works for me when I'm REALLY pushing the bike hard.  

It's important that the passenger pegs be open, though; if closed your heels just hit the nubs and it rotates your feet outwards. 

Must really suck for people at size 10ish, though, where you still hit the pegs/bracket but can't actually use them.  

I've never had a passenger on this bike, but I'm really kind of curious how that even works.  Even when my feet are fully on the main pegs, I can't help but think a passengers feet would constantly be kicking me in the calves.