What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

On 6/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, lolocastsb said:

this thread is reinforcing my decision to buy the full crash bars from Givi

My wife backed into my Tracer, knocked it down.  I had the full Kappa bars (which are identical to the Givi bars as they are the same company, but lack the Givi label and cost $100 less).

Pretty much no damage to the bike other than a cracked fairing where the jeep hit the bike, and the broken kickstand that gave when the bike fell over.  Crash bars took it all.  

You definitely want coverage down around the engine cases, so full bars absolutely.

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, betoney said:

Today I officially got the bike suitable for summer, I removed my plastic hand guards to allow airflow (I use the DL650 hand guards with wind deflectors and they block ALL of the airflow) and changed the winter screen for the smaller Parabellum flyscreen.

Screen.jpg

Screen2.jpg

@betoney, ready to fly through those Sierra passes now!

Not today, but this past Monday I went down to Los Angeles to buy my new-to-me 2017 FJ-09.  I immediately rode it over to my Uncle's place in Santa Monica and spooned on new rubber (Michelin Road 5s) and removed the barn door VStream+ windscreen (to be sold) and put the OEM screen back on.  The bike came with givi cases all around, but they were keyed differently despite having matching cylinders in the bag o' parts the previous owner provided.  So, I also swapped out some cylinders so they're all keyed similarly.  Stem to stern torque checks and inspections and a 400 mile twisties ride north back home on Tuesday and back to work.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, tedski said:

Not today, but this past Monday I went down to Los Angeles to buy my new-to-me 2017 FJ-09.  I immediately rode it over to my Uncle's place in Santa Monica and spooned on new rubber (Michelin Road 5s) and removed the barn door VStream+ windscreen (to be sold) and put the OEM screen back on.  The bike came with givi cases all around, but they were keyed differently despite having matching cylinders in the bag o' parts the previous owner provided.  So, I also swapped out some cylinders so they're all keyed similarly.  Stem to stern torque checks and inspections and a 400 mile twisties ride north back home on Tuesday and back to work.

Welcome aboard 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Kevin R said:

@betoney, ready to fly through those Sierra passes now!

Yes, we leave this coming Thursday morning, very excited for the trip. 

I went out for one last 'shake-down' ride today before we leave to make sure everything is functioning 100% and almost forgot how much I love the smaller screen.  I change it every summer but it surprises me each year just how nice the smaller screen is after having the larger screen on through the Winter and Spring.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They tolerate those who don't drink the Blue cool-aid, and I don't mean Yamwawa blue?

My experience is that they not only tolerated but expressed interest in my Tracer; kept asking to hear that triple engine sound!   I maintain my MOA membership, even though I traded my 1200RT for a Tracer, to keep up with their rallies and weekend getaways.  

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They tolerate those who don't drink the Blue cool-aid, and I don't mean Yamwawa blue?

I have plenty of cover……riding with the person who started/owned Gateway BMW and the other person works there occasionally👍

Swapped my front sprocket and chain, keeping my 47 tooth rear sprocket. It has half the mileage as the front, and unlike the front no visible wear.

Reused the front sprocket nut - it un-staked just fine, and ended up with the staking points about 75 degrees rotated from the old points so I wasn't excessively fatiguing any particular point.

Went from the stock 118 links to 120 - felt 118 may be tough to manage with new chain.  I probably should have checked just for my own education, but I didn't think of it at the time. 

Overall, a pretty simple process that went without issue.  

20210621_123104(0).gif.a37afb0d5e48fe9a4ed52c71ec6ed560.gif

Colored chain was on sale, so here we have it - matches the shock spring at least!

• Thumbsup 4

11 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You've got a lot going on back there.  Who's shock?

I don't like how my T31s are wearing but they work OK.  What pressures do you run.  For hot weather I'm going 33.5 F / 38.5 R +/-

Stock shock, ktech spring.  These are T32's, but I'm running 36/42.  I'm 300lbs without gear, mind you, and hot weather for me is 30c / 86f.