What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

1 hour ago, Northern900 said:

That’s an awesome mount. Can you still use the windshield slider?  I’d love to get one of this to Canada. 

Yes you can. Still very happy with the mount and I’m pretty sure he ships worldwide. Great service as well.

It looks like a printed part though and not slick like something from a factory. There are ways to smooth it out if you want.

I installed a new DID chain 17 tooth counter sprocket and 43 tooth rear sprocket. The bike appears to be significantly less rough in all gear changes and the RPMS are 5000 flat at 82 mph. That was the primary goal to lower the highway RPMS's. 4000 flat at 62 mph.  Sprocket center was the vendor. removal and install easy enough. Although I did break my DID chain setting pin. Those bastards cost $22.00 each! Damn! 

Edited by 2linby
  • Like 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

I installed my trusty Garmin Montana 600.  This will be the third bike it's traveled on, and although the screen has a gray line on it now, still works great!

I used one of the unused (light gray) switched power connectors behind the windscreen mount (the blanking cap is removed in the picture) Pretty easy, I used the same method as my previous install on my BMW F800 GT.  I used the blank cap (removing the silicone plugs) that is installed on the plug and ran my wires through it and into the plug.  I then run the blank cap down to connect it and backfill it with epoxy.

206931544_519612812576164_871604193602533777_n.thumb.jpg.c9fa0cb1ec85b08733ac323e92e6c767.jpg211135534_310947094096988_4075236238448922462_n.thumb.jpg.d7fd597fd7c51b66c1f5e3ce0fe711ed.jpg211866867_553054162728961_3788288604950088980_n.thumb.jpg.8a6633aa80e623092bfca060ecf43e17.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Stripped the bike down for some quality maintenance.  Topped up coolant (was at the "low" line), synced the throttle bodies, did all the normal little things (cable lube, free play, etc), made a few control positioning adjustments.  

While I was doing the throttle bodies, I tore out that bit of foam under the tank that @2wheeldynoworks recommended go.  I dunno if it made any power difference, but it sure sounds awesome and that's good enough for me.  

oh! Also, I forget who mentioned it, but absolutely yes.  I thought I had to disconnect the ECU to remove it, but as someone else said you can remove the airbox mounting bolts, lift and rotate it a bit and just slide the ECU out - no need to fiddle with the wiring harness and disconnect it.  I was sure this was impossible for me as the wiring harness is very short, but rotating the airbox itself so the ECU was pointing more or less upwards made it a piece of cake.

Also removed the hand guards for the summer.  The paws need their air flow in the heat.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

New front tire. Last one was down to the wear bars, about the same tread depth I always replace at. Lasted much less time. Reattempting the 1000 mile weekend cut short last month. 

OE - 8600 mi

Roadsmart 2 - 9600 mi, 9000 mi

Last Roadsmart 3 - just 5000 mi

I got 6400 miles from a rear Roadsmart 3 a couple of years ago. Last tire was over the winter so it wasn't a heat thing. I did have new, stiffer springs installed in the fork. 

I'm surprised that the tire lasted so much less mileage. 

Cycle Gear had a Qualifier Q3+ in stock and it was convenient to get the tire changed (nearest shop that can change tires is over 45 minutes away), so I got it. I'm expecting sportbike mileage from the sportbike tire. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

New front tire. Last one was down to the wear bars, about the same tread depth I always replace at. Lasted much less time. Reattempting the 1000 mile weekend cut short last month. 

OE - 8600 mi

Roadsmart 2 - 9600 mi, 9000 mi

Last Roadsmart 3 - just 5000 mi

I got 6400 miles from a rear Roadsmart 3 a couple of years ago. Last tire was over the winter so it wasn't a heat thing. I did have new, stiffer springs installed in the fork. 

I'm surprised that the tire lasted so much less mileage. 

Cycle Gear had a Qualifier Q3+ in stock and it was convenient to get the tire changed (nearest shop that can change tires is over 45 minutes away), so I got it. I'm expecting sportbike mileage from the sportbike tire. 

That’s strange. I’ve went through 4 sets of RS’3’s. Never got less than 12k miles out of them. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

5 minutes ago, enx said:

First valves check at 60.000km. All valve clearances are within specs!

That is great. Which year is your bike? I keep hearing that there are always too tight and should be checked earlier than the shop manual says.

2 hours ago, micah2074 said:

That’s strange. I’ve went through 4 sets of RS’3’s. Never got less than 12k miles out of them. 

I've bought my bike with 5k miles and RS3's in good condition on there. They are now near the wear bar with the odo on 10k miles.

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, petshark said:

I keep hearing that there are always too tight and should be checked earlier than the shop manual says

You should never use always...   :)

For those bikes where the valves aren't still in spec, the tendency certainly seems to be for the exhausts to be on the tight side.   Courtesy of the internet, those are the ones you hear about.    But my trusted local mechanic tells me that less than half of the many CP3 motors he's had through his shop needed any valve adjustments.   Given that, I'm just letting mine run out to the 24K mile first service interval that Yamaha recommends...  It will be happening soon, and I'll be interested to see where mine falls on the spectrum.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, micah2074 said:

If I was doing more commuting and less trips, I could have nursed them at least a few hundred more miles, but not thousands. I'm more surprised that the rear RS3 lasted longer than the front. 

I'm generally happy with 8k-9k. 5k would have been short on sport tires on my Ninja. No idea why it last such little time. 

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

You should never use always...   :)

For those bikes where the valves aren't still in spec, the tendency certainly seems to be for the exhausts to be on the tight side.   Courtesy of the internet, those are the ones you hear about.    But my trusted local mechanic tells me that less than half of the many CP3 motors he's had through his shop needed any valve adjustments.   Given that, I'm just letting mine run out to the 24K mile first service interval that Yamaha recommends...  It will be happening soon, and I'll be interested to see where mine falls on the spectrum.

Yep. My first valve service everything was still in spec. 2nd required some adjustments. 

• Thumbsup 1