What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

4 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

What paint did you use for the engine case?

I dropped my bike a few weeks ago making a slow speed U-turn and ended up with identical damage to the case.

Plastidip spray. A pretty good match if you feather the sprayed edges. I only used that because I had it though, laziness and expedience won through and I’m sure there will be better options out there.

You okay from the drop?

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Installed pullback risers on my '20 900 GT.   Link here.

Installation took all of 10 minutes.  30mm up and 20mm back.  Doesn't sound like much, but good golly miss molly!!  I am now in a full on comfort zone, lol.   I am 5'-7" with a 30" inseam.  The stock position is slightly forward for me, and with these I'm in a much more comfortable upright position.

215752350_2971606943162148_5184903808811155116_n.thumb.jpg.312e9d9bcf1311d1b0de235edc6aaefe.jpg218653665_360182998957095_3531738389009188305_n.thumb.jpg.f9d92a57cf8786a273224b3e3adc1e5e.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

Installed pullback risers on my '20 900 GT.   Link here.

I'm surprised the risers you link fit all years from '15 on.

I have a set of HeliBar risers from a 2019+ GT that would not fit my 2017.

• Premium Member

WARNING: The OEM Yamaha shop manual and 2015 ~ 16 handle bar riser recall instructions state the front riser cap bolts should be tightened first and so that the cap and riser base mating surfaces are in bearing (touching firmly) with their bolts torqued to spec first, followed by the rear bolts; whose mating surfaces will not be touching.

It appears in your photos the front mating surfaces ARE NOT in bearing and thus incorrectly installed: i.e.; are unsafe.

• Thumbsup 2

41 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

WARNING FYI, the OEM Yamaha shop manual and 2015 ~ 16 handle bar riser recall instructions state the riser cap bolts should be tighten such the cap and base mating surfaces are in bearing (touching firmly) and their bolts torqued to spec first, followed by the rear bolts; whose mating surfaces will not be touching.

It appears in your photos the front mating surfaces ARE NOT in bearing and thus incorrectly installed: i.e.; are unsafe.

All bikes I've ever worked on the front bolts are first tightened then the rear.

Front master cylinder and clutch bolts also have a specific tightening order. 

No matter how simple a job, read the manual first.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

All bikes I've ever worked on the front bolts are first tightened then the rear.

Front master cylinder and clutch bolts also have a specific tightening order. 

No matter how simple a job, read the manual first.

I edited my post because I initially omitted "front" but did state "followed by the rear bolts"...

And as you indicated, there is a similar procedure for clutch and brake bar assembly clamp cap bolts; i.e., the upper bolts are tighten first followed by the lower bolts.  Now for "pretensioning" many threaded fasteners like oil sump drain bolts, side cover bolts (always tightened in steps in a crisscross pattern), bar lever clamp bolts, etc. I use my finely calibrated right wrist that's been checked (certified) several times over the last 47 years on a Skidmore gauge (https://www.skidmore-wilhelm.com/) 😉

Screenshot_20210716-063835_Chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I'm surprised the risers you link fit all years from '15 on.

I have a set of HeliBar risers from a 2019+ GT that would not fit my 2017.

Helibar risers are a single piece base, whereas these are two separate pieces.  Could that be why?  Different width between the base handlebar risers for the 2017 vs 2019?

• Supporting Member
On 7/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, roadwarrior said:

What paint did you use for the engine case?

I dropped my bike a few weeks ago

Paint, psh:

...kidding, of course.  If (when) it happens to me again I'd probably use Plastidip, too.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

PXL_20210717_115255558.thumb.jpg.d5d714aa995936d11f34d7a282d019c3.jpgFed it some miles and added chain Giles chain adjusters I scored here.

Also my riding buddy also picked up an FJ, go figure.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/k4n0Yns/PXL-20210717-115255558.jpg[/img]

Still a little hazy from the fires up north. This was at 7 am.

Edited by kilo3
Really, we can't embed images anymore?
  • Thumbsup 3

Yesterday, it's 8:30am.  My plans for the day had fallen through, so I popped on to Facebook to see if the local riding groups where doing anything, and found an off-hand comment for a group ride leaving at 10am near me.  They're planning a Calgary -> Canmore via 1A -> Hwy40 -> Longview -> Back to Calgary loop.  418kms, and a really great set of roads.  Hell, I'm in!  No time for questions, so I hop on the bike and go.

Except... It's a big group ride.  Not big-to-me (which is >5 people) but big.  60 bikes big, a charity event for "Fresh Start".  Well, I'm there, and it's for a good charity, and I've never actually been on a big ride before, so... Eh, I'm in.

IMG_20210717_094940_01.thumb.jpg.721321a3b207f76cecad40e90d5209e3.jpg

Not gonna lie, this was worrying.  Also, pretty concerning, given it was almost entirely Harley's - my Tracer, a V-Strom, an R3 and a Striple where the *only* bikes that weren't cruisers.  Of 60 some bikes.  We get going, and it's a nightmare.  About a kilometer long stretch of bikes riding through and around cities simply has to be chaotic.   Most stressed I've ever been on a bike, with the constant fear of any one of the dozens of bikes ahead of me (and all the normal traffic) doing something stupid and causing a horrific multiple vehicle crash.  Then you're getting onto wonderful winding mountain roads... with so very many other bikes all of varying skill levels and a near complete lack of cornering ability.  

Made it to the second stop - Ghost Lake Reservoir, near the start of Hwy 1A, just before it gets all twisty, and I couldn't do it anymore.  Decided to finish the ride by following in front.  As soon as people started heading towards their bikes at a stop, I'd tear off to the next stop.  Much, much better - and I'm deeply thankful I didn't have to ride down my favourite local twisties at depressingly low speeds dodging wallowing cruisers. 

Ended up being a reasonably fun day, and it did benefit a good cause, but damn, I will never, ever do that again.  Huge group rides are definitely *not* my thing. 

route.jpg

• Thumbsup 7